Ask a Philadelphia fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
This thread is about asking me, the average Philadelphia sports fan, a question. Why are we like we are? What do I think about this upcoming season or this Phillies team? Anything.

(BTW, I have no idea whether people care or not. Just throwing it out there)

As a Mets fan, I often went to the Vet when the Phillies played the Mets and always got out alive. Of course, that might be because there were always lots more Mets fans than Phillie fans there. It was kind of the Mets fan's home away from home.

Actually for the horrible reputation Philly fans have, I only had nice experiences there--except when the Phillies always beat the Mets in like the ninth inning like all the time. But that wasn't the Philly fans' fault. But did you have to gloat SO much? Really, the fans couldn't have been nicer and I immensely enjoyed the very creative heckling.

So why do you guys get your reputation besides for booing Mike Schmidt and cheering opposition injuries?

By the way, do the locals call the new stadium Citizens Bank Park or something less corporaty.

BonosSaint said:
As a Mets fan, I often went to the Vet when the Phillies played the Mets and always got out alive. Of course, that might be because there were always lots more Mets fans than Phillie fans there. It was kind of the Mets fan's home away from home.

Actually for the horrible reputation Philly fans have, I only had nice experiences there--except when the Phillies always beat the Mets in like the ninth inning like all the time. But that wasn't the Philly fans' fault. But did you have to gloat SO much? Really, the fans couldn't have been nicer and I immensely enjoyed the very creative heckling.

So why do you guys get your reputation besides for booing Mike Schmidt and cheering opposition injuries?

By the way, do the locals call the new stadium Citizens Bank Park or something less corporaty.

We gloat because we rarely get that opportunity. Trust me, it wasn't just a win. It was a win against New York, and people in Philadelphia hate all things New York.

The reputation? It's about as exxagerated as can get. We booed Mike Schmidt for trying to be private in a public business. He was changing something that was already pretty set. He was a jerk. Did I agree with it? No - the guy played hard and was as successful as can be. And he stayed in Philly. And we cheered ONE opposition injury: Michael Irvin. C'mon, it's Michael Irvin. Did we know his neck was broken? No. We thought he'd just gotten shaken up by a hard hit. After that few cheers were heard.

The reputation is misleading. We're not nearly as violent as it's portrayed. We don't fight out-of-town fans. We're not punks. We know the game. All we expect is hustle and a moderate amount of success from a player.

The only truth is that we DO boo all the time. Guys get in the doghouse and that's it for them.

And for CBP, we tried. The Linc was found for Lincoln Financial Field, but we couldn't get anything for CBP. It is rarely called by name. You just say you were at a Phils game, not the stadium. No one liked the name, and some local stations tried pathetic names like "The Bank" and "The Vault" that never stuck.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
can i take back the lenny dykstra for juan samuel trade on behalf of the mets? just as like an honorary thing?

No. :wink:

Any trades that we could make successfully have to stand. After the Ed Wade Era, we deserve to keep the thing.

phillyfan26 said:
This thread is about asking me, the average Philadelphia sports fan, a question. Why are we like we are? What do I think about this upcoming season or this Phillies team? Anything.

(BTW, I have no idea whether people care or not. Just throwing it out there)

I've got a question. I used to live in the area. Why do you guys whine so much? Seriously. It was depressing listening to 610 WIP all day, genuinely depressing.

And Howard Eskin was a douche to boot.

We were the Phillies' Triple A affilliate for the past 18 years. How do you guys feel about taking in a Triple A home game in Ottawa next year until Allentown is ready? Beautiful city, but if your farm team was bitching about having to play in Scranton in April....

Last edited:
What about throwing batteries at JD Drew the first time he came to Philly?

I love the fact that you guys had a courthouse inside the Vet for Eagles' games. :up:

What about the Southwest commercial where the guy says Philly is just like a baby New York? do you want to mangle him?

randhail said:

Oh, yeah. And death threats against Mitch Williams? OK, he did give up the home run that blew the Series for you, but still....:wink:

And is it my imagination that the Phillies choose to trade or release an inordinate amount of pitchers just as they are about to mature into really great pitchers?

Last edited:
Have any of your still living relatives ever actually witnessed a Philadelphia major sports championship?
(The Iggles winning the NFC title doesn't count although most Phillyians acted like it did, but remember you vomited the Superbowl away).:wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
little mr. bostonite wins one title in 86 years and now he's an expert :wink:
Do note that I said "major sports championship".

In my lifetime aside from little mr bostonite (Bostonian to you Mr. New Yorkian) living through the Red sox win one WS, there are also 3 Patriots Superbowls, 2 Bruins Stanley Cups and 9 Celtics titles.

Philly's drought in all 4 majors is becoming the stuff of legend.

The cities with a team in each of the 4 major sports:

Boston: 2005
New York: 2000
Detroit: 2004
Chicago: 2005
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 1991
Dallas (including Texas Rangers): 1999
Atlanta :1995
Washington (just got baseball back): 1992
Miami: 2003
Phoenix: 2001
Denver: 2001

Philly: 1983

Interesting note that LA isn't on the list because of no football team and SF has no hockey team (unless you count the Sharks), but both have won championships much more recently than Philly.

And which Philly team appears on the cusp? The Eagles are past peak, the 76ers appear in disarray, the Flyers are the Flyers, so the hope would appear to rest with the Fightin' Phillies, who have a decent team, but I wouldn't put money on them to win the WS this year.

Re: Re: Ask a Philadelphia fan

Canadiens1160 said:

I've got a question. I used to live in the area. Why do you guys whine so much? Seriously. It was depressing listening to 610 WIP all day, genuinely depressing.

And Howard Eskin was a douche to boot.

Two things:

1) 610 WIP is generally not a good reflection in anyway of the Philly sports fans. The ones who call in there are usually dopes. Why call in to Eskin? What's the point? Will asking him something affect you at all? No.

2) Eskin is a douche.

BonosSaint said:
We were the Phillies' Triple A affilliate for the past 18 years. How do you guys feel about taking in a Triple A home game in Ottawa next year until Allentown is ready? Beautiful city, but if your farm team was bitching about having to play in Scranton in April....

I don't think most fans are aware of any of that. I'm up to date on the whole thing, and I think it's not too big of a deal. It will be interesting playing April in Canada. They ask for warmer weather, but have to go even colder for it? I think it'll be OK.

randhail said:

I love the fact that you guys had a courthouse inside the Vet for Eagles' games. :up:

What about the Southwest commercial where the guy says Philly is just like a baby New York? do you want to mangle him?

1) One guy threw one battery. I'm all for the booing, and if the batteries are intentionally 10 feet short, it's a good statement too.

2) All NFL stadiums should have one. You have to open them like 8 times a year, right? That really shouldn't be a strain. Seems like Philly was the only smart place.

3) Yes.

4U2Play said:
Is it true you guys booed Santa Claus?

Be honest

One of our worst seasons, really cold, lots of beer, a blowout at the half, and some teenager who had to replace the real Santa impersonator ... we booed that guy.

BonosSaint said:

Oh, yeah. And death threats against Mitch Williams? OK, he did give up the home run that blew the Series for you, but still....:wink:

And is it my imagination that the Phillies choose to trade or release an inordinate amount of pitchers just as they are about to mature into really great pitchers?

Death threats are too far in any matter. He did give up the home run that lost the World Series. We still are angry about that. Phillies fans shut off their TV when it comes on like Ewing when '85 Nova is brought up.

Our GMs suck.

Hewson said:
Have any of your still living relatives ever actually witnessed a Philadelphia major sports championship?
(The Iggles winning the NFC title doesn't count although most Phillyians acted like it did, but remember you vomited the Superbowl away).:wink:

First, I want you to note that we didn't act like it was the Super Bowl, but that we were excited that that bunch had the ability to get there. We were more excited that we didn't have to jump off the Walt Whitman Bridge into the Schuylkill :wink:.

I was born after our last championship, but my parents were alive for our "big" run:

74, 75 Flyers
80 Phillies
83 Sixers

I have not yet witnessed one. And Boston fans complained about the Sox after the Pats won it all :eyebrow: ?

Hewson said:
The cities with a team in each of the 4 major sports:

Boston: 2005
New York: 2000
Detroit: 2004
Chicago: 2005
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 1991
Dallas (including Texas Rangers): 1999
Atlanta :1995
Washington (just got baseball back): 1992
Miami: 2003
Phoenix: 2001
Denver: 2001

Philly: 1983

Interesting note that LA isn't on the list because of no football team and SF has no hockey team (unless you count the Sharks), but both have won championships much more recently than Philly.

And which Philly team appears on the cusp? The Eagles are past peak, the 76ers appear in disarray, the Flyers are the Flyers, so the hope would appear to rest with the Fightin' Phillies, who have a decent team, but I wouldn't put money on them to win the WS this year.

Do note that this is a BIG college basketball town, and that people were just as excited with Nova in 85 as with other teams. It doesn't change the number, but it did generate that kind of excitement.

We don't think the Phillies can finish above .500 this year. Have you seen the pitchers we've been throwing out there? Ryan Madson? Ryan Franklin? Rheal Cormier (in meaningful games)? Geoff Geary? Jon Lieber? Cory Lidle? Gavin Floyd? Arthur Rhodes? Aaron Fultz? Do you realize how many names that is?

The Eagles will be back this year. I'm telling you, Donovan was really, really, really hurting last year. That injury was a lot worse than he let on. We have a good D that we fixed up in the draft, as well as the lines specifically (can you say "Winston Justice in the second round????") While our WRs are the terrible shit they always are, we made 3 NFC Championships with that bunch. We have a much better chance than you think.

The Sixers? Disarray is a good word.

The Flyers ... ask me in a couple months...

Hewson said:

Speaking from one that had the pleasure of going to the Superbowl the majority of Philly fans I was sitting around were just a bunch of assholes who could say nothing more substantial than "PATS SUCK". The man sitting next to me was so drunk not only did he fall over me and spill cheesewiz nachos in my lap, but during that lame ass fight song (who does that?!?!?! and unless you are Notre Dame it is really uncool) he spelled E-A-G-L-E-S like E-G-L-A-S.

Dude, the Bears have a kick-ass fight song that I once won a $100 bet at a bar for singing!

Anyway, my dad has always said Philly fans are the most vile of any fan. Why is that? What's going on with you guys?

WildHoneyAlways said:
Dude, the Bears have a kick-ass fight song that I once won a $100 bet at a bar for singing!

I won $100 for doing the 'dirty bird'....

WildHoneyAlways said:

Anyway, my dad has always said Philly fans are the most vile of any fan. Why is that? What's going on with you guys?

It's all bullshit reputation. We have a few drunks who have consistently done stupid things (which I might add, every fan base has), and the whole thing gets attacked. Every fan base has this. Everyone. For some reason, Philly fans get blamed more often. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom