Ashlee Simpson's screw up on SNL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
neutral said:
image.gif

Neutral, you're my hero. :lol:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I will watch the awards show tonight to see if she really sings live.

I will watch it too ( @ the same, i will be watching wrestling as well........hehe). I want to see Ashlee screwed up again. :wink:

I don't believe for one second that the message by "Ashlee Simpson" on her website posted a few pages back is real.

And it's different for U2, because we KNOW they can play/sing/dance an Irish jig.

Ashlee Simpson? Can't even sing without the assistance of 526 engineers and pro-tools to "fix" her voice.

I saw this Saturday and could not stop laughing. First thing I thought of was Milli Vanilli "Girl, you know it's....Girl you know it's...Girl You Know It's.....Girl, you know it's.....

And that dude ran off the stage too.

I do feel a little sorry for her. She's just trying to be like her sis'.
But of all the acts that could have been in that slot, the crappiest of crappy bands would have been a better choice than her in the first place, and then that happened. Oh well, did anyone expect anything more from her? Pop singers are crap in general. And people give Hanson shit? They fucking play instruments! That and I saw them at a U2 concert in Dallas. So they can't be all that bad. :wink:

Relatively speaking... 20 is young IMO... sure legally she's an adult but a lot of girls and guys aren't exactly of "mature thought and mind at 20 and the way she presents herself from what I've seen she's just a kid in my eyes."

I think the whole SNL stunt was funny as hell but people can also be pretty cruel but then I don't expect any less from humanity... :shrug:

I'd be more likely to cut her some slack and feel bad for her if she hadn't gone and blamed the band. Sure, she probably felt like she had to say something, but she didn't have to blame anyone.

On the awards show she blamed the incident on "acid reflux" (read: heartburn) that caused her to lose her voice between rehearsals and the show.

Doesn't explain her voice being totally alright at the very end of SNL when she tried to explain away the incident.

:rolleyes:

PS: Acid Reflux does NOT cause you to lose your voice entirely.

PPS: Convenient how they had a pre-recorded vocal track there when she "lost her voice" eh?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
afterall, would you all be mocking U2 if the wrong track had come on durring their Top of the Pops performance when Edge, Adam and Larry's instrumentals were pre-recorded?

no, because:

1. u2 write their own material
2. u2 perform their own material
3. u2 are a band that plays instruments and sings for real
4. u2 have screwed up live many times and it still sounds great
5. u2 are professional and would never do a jig and run off the stage
6. u2 didn't get a record deal because of their sister
7. u2 never said that lip-syncing is "not them" and then do it anyway
8. bono has been singing for nearly 30 years, if he needs a little help, I grant him that. not a 20 ear old just starting out.
9. u2's musicality has been proven, oh I don't know, maybe 1000 times over. her's hasn't been.
10. that song is really easy to sing, vocally singing. bono's parts are usally way more involved (melodically and dynamically).

How the hell do we know she ever sang anything on her record?

SNL is just as lame for having her on in the first place.

You cant really compare u2 TOTP to this thing, Bono didn't lip-synch in the first place, and the decision to not play the instruments is a TOTP rule, not a choice u2 made. SNL basically tell their guests to play live, TOTP do the opposite. Damn...that Jessica Simpson is hot

Mark Freedman said:
In the New York Daily News, Jim Farber actually mentions U2 in an article about Simpson's gaffe as an example that even well respected groups need "synthetic help" at times on stage. Hmmm:

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/246332p-210924c.html

Well, it is true. U2 uses backing tapes on most songs. Synthesizers, loops, additional guitars, etc. I think they should give her a break about the backing tape. What is bad is she left the stage. A performer should never do that unless there is a serious emergency. Even then, there have been a lot of examples of rock performers continuing to play even when bleeding all over.

I agree that she really should not have left the stage, but I can understand why she would. I doubt if she would take that route again, but it's understandable.

At first, I thought it was an intentional gaffe by her band -- maybe they were getting back at her for something. They were sort of snickering at each other after she left the stage. In hindsight, they were probably just embarrased, too.

Zoomerang96 said:
that's really too bad, because i find her songs catchy.

:up: (well, the one I know) I don't think her voice is that bad, either. Even on the acoustic one it's much better than someone like Britney or Madonna's. :shrug:

JOFO said:

no, because:

1. u2 write their own material
2. u2 perform their own material
3. u2 are a band that plays instruments and sings for real
4. u2 have screwed up live many times and it still sounds great
5. u2 are professional and would never do a jig and run off the stage
6. u2 didn't get a record deal because of their sister
7. u2 never said that lip-syncing is "not them" and then do it anyway
8. bono has been singing for nearly 30 years, if he needs a little help, I grant him that. not a 20 ear old just starting out.
9. u2's musicality has been proven, oh I don't know, maybe 1000 times over. her's hasn't been.
10. that song is really easy to sing, vocally singing. bono's parts are usally way more involved (melodically and dynamically).

well let's just get rid of the excuses at the bottom and just deal with answers 1 through 3 there, which are the core of most people's hatred for pop music.

1. u2 write their own material frank sinatra didn't write his own material
2. u2 perform their own material thus then he didn't perform his own material
3. u2 are a band that plays instruments and sings for real and while frank did sing for real, he certainly wasn't out there strummin' along with a geeetar or playin' the piano.

stick with the "her music sucks" argument... it's a much more valid point.

Back
Top Bottom