Argentina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desert_Sky

Acrobat
Here is an article i read on soccernet.com:

Argentina spat, swore and hurled insults

Bitter Argentina players spat, swore and swapped insults instead of shirts after their defeat by England in Japan's Sapporo Dome on Friday.
And they singled out FIFA man-of-the-match Paul Scholes as a particular target for abuse. An FA source said: 'There was a lot of spitting going on out there but our players maintained their dignity and refused to get involved.'

Manchester United midfielder Scholes reacted sharply when two of the South Americans were heard to mutter 'bastardo' as they walked behind him while he was being interviewed in the mixed zone after the match, which England won 1-0 with a penalty by captain David Beckham.

Scholes responded with an icy stare as the pair walked towards their team coach, but refused to talk about the matter later. The FA source also confirmed that the Argentinians refused to exchange shirts with the England players after the game, as is the tradition.

'They weren't in the best of moods. They took defeat badly,' he said.

It is not the first time the usual shirt-swapping has not taken place after an England-Argentina match. When England won a tetchy quarter-final 1-0 at Wembley in 1966, manager Alf Ramsey physically prevented his players from following the convention and went on to condemn the Argentinians as 'animals'.

Despite some strong challenges there seemed nothing in Friday's game to justify a breach of the normal post-match etiquette.

But Argentinian sources insisted that ever since captain Daniel Passarella stopped his players swapping shirts after a 3-1 defeat by Brazil in the 1982 World Cup, their players had never followed the usual practice when beaten by their fiercest rivals.

The match against England was given exactly that 'derby' status, and in this context their refusal could almost be interpreted as a compliment. The Argentinians' foul temper lingered long into the night after defeat in this grudge match.

They boarded their coach quickly after the match and, after an unscheduled encounter with England's Trevor Sinclair, who mistakenly hopped aboard the wrong bus, were driven back to the Sheraton Hotel in Sapporo.

Once there, they snubbed a banquet arranged in their honour and retreated to the sanctuary of their two floors in the building.

I have also read this in the paper yesterday, which i have just found. This particularly annoyed me about the Argentine attitude:

Beckham, accused of losing England the World Cup through his lack of responsibility four years ago, now simply can?t get enough of the stuff. Naturally, he decided to take e penalty himself. The greatest things are always achieved by people who are prepared to risk looking a bloody fool.

And with the appropriateness now so thick you could almost choke on it, up came Simeone to try and put him off. Beckham said afterwards that he didn?t hear the actual words: ?He tried to blank me, tried to shake me up. Then the goalkeeper had a go, telling me where to put the penalty. So I put it the other way.?

Now, the English players are saints, poor fellas.

Oh read this:

Irish goalkeeper criticizes England for snubbing fans in opening match

June 9, 2002

CHIBA, Japan (AP) -- Backup Ireland goalkeeper Dean Kiely accused the England squad of being aloof, criticizing them for making a ``hollow apology'' after failing to acknowledge fans who had traveled to Saitama to watch England's 1-1 draw against Sweden last week.

``I think the apologies made by England after the Sweden match were quite hollow,'' Kiely said Sunday. ``It's quite easy to run in front of the fans when everybody is cheering you and things are going well. You do that on auto-pilot but the test is when things are going the other way.

``They obviously forgot, but we are never going to do that because it's just not in our make-up,'' he said. ``You look at the Premiership stars in the England side and they seem to be in their ivory tower or detached from everything.''

Last Wednesday, England captain David Beckham issued a public apology for not acknowledging the 7,000 or so English fans who turned out for the June 2 match.

After both of their 1-1 draws, the Irish players remained on the field for some time, waving to their supporters in the stands. Ireland players have also mingled with fans around their hotel and training ground in Chiba, east of Tokyo.

``The one thing we have is that we are very close to the supporters,'' Kiely said. ``There are a lot of them around Chiba and we want to make them feel part of it. We've made ourselves approachable and nobody has been turned down for an autograph.''

rafmed said:
Now, the English players are saints, poor fellas.
they better be saints, that at least would explain the amount of praise they are getting

bullet the blue sky said:
I've just about had enough of these Dutch-Mexican led jibes. This response will be edited in good time.

attachment.php

hi desert sky!
wavey.gif

the atmosphere of the match before/during/ and afterward is the same as it has always been when these 2 teams play.

the crowds are hostile on both sides and those same negative feelings ebb down to the players on the field. 4 yrs ago the british fans snubbed and hollered during the argentine natl anthem, a move that showed no class. as expected the argentine fans hollered back, its this kind of animosity that is always present when i have seen these 2 countries play. so we should not be shocked or appalled by some spiting or swearing.

there are no saints on either side. i am still hoping that argentina pull it together for the next match. sweden is a tough opponent as they have clearly shown so far.

btw...i am so glad the US is doing well! USA!USA!USA! :)

Last edited:
AcrobatMan said:
CLOUD - england outplayed argentina for 70-75 minutes..what else do you want. Owen was unlucky to hit the bar..England should have won 2-0 or 3-0

I dont see any relevance to my post frankly, I never denied any of that. England simply outplaed Argentina because Argentina played badly, thats all.

As to that article, I wonder what makes that different from most other football matches exactly?

I would just like to point out that i didn't post the above article on the basis that England are saints, because i know we are not, but i don't believe we are as bad as people make us out to be! I merely was interested with the article as i have heard a lot about the unsportmanship of Argentina. There is also the fact of after the World Cup '98 game, the Argentinians apparently jeered the England team from their bus after the game, in front of their families, which i feel is out of order, but then again i am not saying we have never done that as i have no evidence! I just don't like the apparent attitude of the Argentina team!
:)
Hey Sparkys girl! :wink: Hows u? yeah i am used to England jeering the national anthems, i particulaly remember during Euro '96 when we booed the national anthems of the opposing teams when we played them. i kinda feel this is out of order but wat can u do? I just want to say that not every English fan is like that, and that its a small minority!
:)

Tell u what argentina used to my favorite football team a decade back ..and today i know of lots of collegues disappointed to see argentina out so early.

btw, do you like mystery ?
or do you prefer history ?

come on robbie, go get them, beat spain,
AcrobatMan

Niamh_Saoirse said:

Give us a bloody break for feck's sake!!!!!!! :madspit:

It's just a football match!

Sorry, no hard feelings by my post! :) i'm not trying to criticise the fans, was just an article i read! It's a mad world cup i have to admit, with the two favourites going home after group stage. Mad!!

AcrobatMan said:
Tell u what argentina used to my favorite football team a decade back ..and today i know of lots of collegues disappointed to see argentina out so early.

btw, do you like mystery ?
or do you prefer history ?

come on robbie, go get them, beat spain,
AcrobatMan

Yes i like both: mystery and history, but i always tend to read books about real events.....especially events that took place in Europe..:)

The last one I read ( now I'm stuck with a book for my English class) was about the life of some guys who were part of the IRA....Very very interesting book I'd say!

Bad luck Argentina.
Where was #13? Why did they take Placente off? Bad move imho.
Yay for boys with pony tails and #13 shirts:)

Attachments

• riley soccer 2.jpg
    riley soccer 2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 31
argentina really needed to do well at these worlds. for the nation.

this is not going to help the state of argentina.

kobayashi said:
argentina really needed to do well at these worlds. for the nation.

this is not going to help the state of argentina.

Yeah, we are doomed...We can't even win a football match, damn it! Not to mention to overcome the economic, social and political crisis....lol ;)

Oh well....it's just a moment...this time will pass...

Argentina's problem is that they insist on playing the idiot boy Ortega, even when the rest of the team is changed, he stays in the team for some unkown reason!
I really dont know what everyone sees in him! He just twists and turns but rarely gets a decent cross in, and scores even less often. He is also one of the worst divers I've ever seen.
OK Veron had a bad game against the English but how can they drop him, he played well when he came on, I still really rate him as one of the best in the world, he just had a couple of abd games.
I feel especially sorry for Batigol, as it was his last cup, and he must have thought he had a chance this time. There just seemed a total lack of togetherness in the squad, that seems to be evident in a lot of the teams that are making early exits.
If there was misbehaviour from the players I think you can put it down to frustration, I dont think the English players are any better.

Back
Top Bottom