Are you all happy with where you live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just moved from living in the hick sticks to yuppieland and I like yuppieland far better
I dont feel isolated with nothing around me but drug dealers and wild bears
Im back home preparing for my wedding before I move out to Virginia permanently and being here is getting under my skin in a way
I had to chase a dog the size of a horse off our property today...that would never happen in the suburbs :lol:
And in my new home I dont have to drive forever to get anywhere worth seeing.

Yeah, I like where I live even though I dont fit in
I would probably enjoy living somewhere a little alternative but not too much, with some culture and history, and interesting things to do the most
But in reality, I love wherever my fiance is the best :D

I like where I live. I grew up in the suburbs of Northern Virginia, moved to Colorado Springs for 4 years, moved to Albany, NY for 4 years and returned here in 2000. What I've always loved about Virginia is that we have 4 distinct seasons. The spring and fall are lengthy and the winter is not too extreme. The Summer can get kind of hot and muggy, so it requires A/C but other than that it's pretty great here.

In terms of location, you're only a couple of hours from a lot of different things. Beach, mountains, cities. And being on the east coast puts you 12 hours from some of the finest cities in the US. DC, NY, Philadelphia, Boston, Pittsburgh. Which is really handy when U2 tours :wink:

And since I live near Dulles airport, it's not a big hassle to jump on a plane and just make it to somewhere else.

My community is very planned and is very idyllic. We have fake hills and well manicured lawns and bike paths. It's really a lovely place to live. It's a great place to raise a family. And for me I have the added bonus of living only a mile from my brother and his family and having people in my church surround me. I frequently run into them at the grocery store or at Starbucks or at the video store. I love visiting cities but like that I don't have to deal with some of the problems that cities bring. And now I'll have to Tara to share this with, which just makes where I live perfect. It makes where I live not so important actually. I'm just glad that it's relatively safe where I live so that I don't have to worry about her.

Mr. BAW said:
I'm happy anywhere BAW is happy...wanna stay here, cool..

Wanna head to the desert. all right by me...

Wanna go to Disneyland, let's go...

I can survive anywhere...I've even got Bend, Oregon still on the plate...maybe I can just leave December and Jan....stay with Doozer till the snow melts... who knows???

and i was hoping you guys would end up in summerlin :grumpy:

I change where I live every couple of years. Louisiana, Indonesia, Missouri, Minnesota, Switzerland and now Mali. I might be going to Northern Virginia after here, cuz my bf got a scholarship to study there. Should be colder than Africa anyways. :lol:

bonosgirl84 said:

and i was hoping you guys would end up in summerlin :grumpy:

Outpriced on the properties!!! short story; last time we visited, I played golf at Badlands and Angel Park...the golf course wound through a new construction project...I asked a couple of the contractors, "Who's building that massive house (context)?" One of the guys answered, "The owner of Cheetah's bought this one..."

The other fellow points to 3 of the "smaller 5 bedroom units" and says..."the dancers own those!!!"

The Summerlin housing went quick but that's not to say there aren't other spots...a good friend of ours just bought a place in Havasu; within 200 yards of the river for the low $200's...owner was in distress.

:)

stammer476 said:
Is it even POSSIBLE to like Detroit?

Weather: No

People: No

Cost of Living: No

Activities: Maybe. We have all the major sports teams.

Homicide: YES! If you're into killing people, this is the place to be! :|

I loved when I was watching the news recently one night, and they were reporting that the phones in several Detroit police zones were not working. They're like, "We've also just tried several fire departments, and their phones are down too." It's like, okay...if anyone wants to go commit any crimes, now's the time to do it! :up:

sulawesigirl4 said:
I change where I live every couple of years. Louisiana, Indonesia, Missouri, Minnesota, Switzerland and now Mali. I might be going to Northern Virginia after here, cuz my bf got a scholarship to study there. Should be colder than Africa anyways. :lol:

Wow! You work for Lonely Planet! Don't you? :wink:

I wish I could move every few years! But there's this damn thing called a career that I have to be involved with! :mad: :wink:

Well I live in Australia and I don't think I could be much happier with where I live (obviously I could be but for the sake of this argument i'm not). We live on about 1/4 of an acre (i think) and behind us are floodplains which (apparently) are never going to be built on. Horses come up to the fence all the time. The You Yangs (Mountain range) are simply amazing to look at. The house is fantastic.

:wink:

I grew up around St Louis, but too much racism and negativity.
So I moved to Central Illinois, and I like being in a college town, but its getting too big. In a few years, Mr GG and I are planning to move to South Dakota. I love the mountains and wildlife and friendly people that we have met there over the last few years.
Plus, I really like the cold and snow, so that will be really great.

I'll be in a central Illinois college town next weeked

Zootlesque said:
I wish I could move every few years! But there's this damn thing called a career that I have to be involved with! :mad: :wink:

actually, it is my career that allows me to move every couple of years. Maybe you are doing the wrong career path! :wink:

neutral said:
I'd like to move back to Atlanta
need a roommate :drool:

i hate it here as well. for those of you who have not been unfortunate enough to have been in the path of my rants about where i live, i live in this shitty town called memphis, tennessee. see, it sucks in every aspect. go ahead, name one. i guarantee it is shitty here.

weather? horrible. sure i love hot weather but there are no (public) pools*, no water parks, no manmade beaches, and no natural beaches either. when there's nowhere to swim or at least lay by a body of water to cool you down when it's 100 degrees and the humidity hovers around 90% and the air quality is terrible (the health department or whoever rates that says it, not my opinion).

public transportation? non-existant, unless you live downtown. i do for now but even then, downtown is being turned into a sea of condos. and not just any condos, but condos that START at half a million dollars. these are former apartments. can you imagine an apartment that used to be about $400-500 a month in rent being converted and sold for half a million? they say there's not enough luxury condos in this city, and the people buying them aren't buying them as replacement or first homes, these are second homes to their home in the suburbs. amazing. but anyway, yeah. the average joe won't be able to afford to live downtown soon anyway. in about a year there will literally be about two apartment complexes left downtown, i'm not exaggerating. but enough about memphis.

anyway, i'm thinking about moving to the chesapeake bay area, maryland/delaware. go to college, get a degree, etc. mayhaps live there forever, i dunno. but i love that area and most of my family lives there.

* the apartments around here that do have pools let their tenets treat them like shit. one apartment in a very nice area no less, we're talking rent starts at like $700 for a small one bedroom (which is expensive for this area, an apartment that size in a decent area would usually be $550-600) has tenets where they literally BATHE in the hot tub. yes, they would come and bring their fucking shampoo and soap. people would have sex in the pool and hot tub which i suppose isn't too uncommon, but this is everywhere. and few apartments have pools anyway.

Right now I lived on the west coast of Norway, and yes, I'm very happy about that. :yes: I've been here since February 1st...

I moved here because I got an offer on a great internship, but mostly it was the Norwegian nature (so I could ski on a regular basis! :D) that made me even look for an internship up here. I didn't really wanted to live on the west coast (was looking at a place more east in the country), but I certainly don't regret it now!

I :heart: Norway and the Norwegians are the nicest and most friendly and helpful people in the world (only beaten by an inch by the Irish! :up: ).Plus they're almost unable to get stressed! :laugh:

But "home" - that's Copenhagen! And that will never change! I'm going back on July 28th (Just in time for the concert, yes! :wink: ).

Copenhagen will always be "home" for me - It's were my family and friends are, I'm born there and I've lived there for my entire life, until I moved up here - and it's a great city! I :heart: it, very much!!! :yes:

But, I'm always ready to leave it for a while, go out and live somewhere else and experience other place, see new things! I like to do that - Next spring I'm moving to Kenya, while writing my masters and I'm sure I'll be very happy there as well! :yes:

And maybe I'll move to some other place after that too - you'll never know! But I will always be returning to Copenhagen! :D

I love living in the bay area. Right by the ocean, only 3-4 hours away from skiing resorts, only an hour away from wine tasting, only a bridge away from San Francisco, and only minutes away from beautiful scenery (redwood forests, secluded beaches, lakes, etc) in almost any direction. It's a very diverse population (something sorely missing from a lot of the midwest) and there's so much to do it's hard to get bored living here.

Of course, it's expensive as hell but worth it, I think.

I really like where I live. Despite what livluv says about it, its a good place to live. It does not snow from Oct to April. It does snow, but its not constant and generally we have maybe one or two bad storms for a winter and that is it. Summers here are great. Grand Rapids is one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. and our downtown has been completely re done with a new arena, bars, restuarants. Its actually very nice. I lived in Alabama also and what I hated about that was the summers. 95 degrees with 90% humidity in August is not nice, sorry. :shrug:

Bottom line is everywhere has positives and negatives (especially when it comes to weather).

Se7en said:
i've actually never been, but it is one region i dream of visiting.

You should come over sometime! :yes: I think you'd like it here - I do! :wink:

well currently i live in Canberra Australia and i hate it!!!!

so next year i'm going over to Ireland to live for a year my mates keep saying (esp. my boyfriend) says that canberra is great and that by going oversees i'll appreatiate it more, so thats what i'm gonna do!

I love absolutely love where we live!

We live at the base of the Trinity Alps in Northern California. We bought a great house and an acre of land last year and we will never move! Its so beautiful here.

We moved to this area about 8 years ago and it took a long time for me to adjust after living in Orange County, CA all my life. I missed all the shopping and concerts at first. But we have gotten more shopping here and I've learned how fun it can be to travel to shows and see new places. My next trip is going to be Vancouver, Canada for a Pearl Jam show. And we are close enough to drive to SF for shows and shopping.

This is a great place to raise kids, its a smaller town, but not so small you feel like your in the middle of nowhere. The cost of living is awesome too! We only paid $170,000 for our house and land. I'm not even 30 yet and this is the second house we have owned. We are a one income family who isn't rich, but we still get to do fun things. Its a great way to live.

Indianapolis is okay... not enough U2 fans :wink: I really want to move to a BIG city, like Boston or New York. Some place with more culture, more bands, more going on. The Midwest is kinda boring, I wanna move somewhere interesting...though I wouldn't mind living in Minnesota, I :heart: it there. What I really wanna do is travel everywhere!!

Back
Top Bottom