Arcade Fire new stuff 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first impressions: Good, but not great, which is how I feel about both of the first two albums. I was expecting a drop off, so it's nice that there wasn't.

Because it sounds hyperbolic, that's all.

Do you think that maybe your about-faces on Neon Bible and In Rainbows would maybe cause you to think a bit more cautiously in your proclamations?

If Wake Up and Intervention are the anthems of the first two albums, then Sprawl II is this one's.

Pretty much, and the latter is an even better song then the former two for my money. I'm not sure I agree at all that this album doesn't have stand-outs like the first two, yet I do also think it's intentionally a far more coherent and uniform work as an album. As a whole it's elliptical and cohesive and surprisingly structured, but there are certainly musical highlights. Sprawl II is the real showstopper, but I'd put at least The Suburbs, Half Light I and II, Empty Room and We Used to Wait right up there with it.

If Wake Up shed the shitty ending, it'd be their best song.

I didn't really like the title track on this album the first time through. I've only listened once, though.

It took me several listens, but I now think it is an amazing album. I also think there is a cohesiveness to it that I wish U2's last few albums had. Even though I loved "No Line on the Horizon", I feel they dumbed it down for the general public a little in the middle of the album. I think "The Suburbs" gets it right.

It continues to grow on me, but certainly right now it seems like it might contend for the top album of the year for me.

I've read some comments about how the lyrics are bitchy and a little too "woe is me" about growing up in the burbz, but trust me: you would be just as bitter if you were from the Houston area.

Anyway, I'm begging to get more excited about hearing this bad boy next week.

I'd never heard of a fucking "ice house" until I made my first (of many, sadly) business trips to Houston.

My 2nd least favorite US city.

YOU'RE WORKING FOR THE CHURCH WHILE YOUR LIFE FALLS APART!!!!

I'm not finding Sprawl II to be quite as awesome as some of you guys. I like it, don't get me wrong. But at this point it doesn't stack up with the big songs off the first two albums. I'll still take Tunnels, Rebellion, Wake Up, No Cars Go, Intervention, and Keep the Car Running.

But, yeah, this album is good.

Because it sounds hyperbolic, that's all.

Do you think that maybe your about-faces on Neon Bible and In Rainbows would maybe cause you to think a bit more cautiously in your proclamations?

Not to jump into the middle of something, but I think I'd rather see genuine hyperbole than restrained cynicism.

Anyway, I've downloaded it (will purchase) but haven't had time to listen and digest properly. I suspect though that even if it's not their best offering, it'll still be better than 98 percent of the indie crap out there, these days.

If Wake Up shed the shitty ending, it'd be their best song.

They didn't know how to end a solid portion of the songs on Funeral ("Wake Up," "Crown of Love," "Une Année Sans Lumiere," the first two especially). While Neon Bible can be righteously chastised for its darker tone, the songs are at least more complete ideas, even something deliberately helter skelter like "Black Waves/Bad Vibrations."

"Sprawl II" deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as "Tunnels," "Rebellion," "No Cars Go" or "(Antichrist Television Blues)." Easily.

READ THAT TEXT.

I'd never heard of a fucking "ice house" until I made my first (of many, sadly) business trips to Houston.

My 2nd least favorite US city.

An ice house isn't a bad thing in and of itself since I'm a raging alcoholic, but in Houston it more refers to crystal meth. We shouldn't expect anything less from the self titled "Syrup City." I'd even leave that place for (gulp) Canada if I were forced into the situation.

I just scored a fantastic seat for MSG. Third row in the loge right next to stage. :ohmy:

Would have preferred the second night but since I wasn't really planning to go at all until I realized I was going to be in NYC that night, wtf.

I hope they add/announce some west coast dates soon. Specifically, west coast up near me. I'll take Portland or Vancouver, if Seattle isn't worthy of their presence.

Oh, look at Braggy McBrag over there.

Do I have to remind you of my traumatic bad luck with shows during the first 6 months of this year?

Dead Weather next Tuesday, Arcade Fire next Wednesday, NYC welcomes the birthday girl back with open arms.

Do I have to remind you of my traumatic bad luck with shows during the first 6 months of this year?

Dead Weather next Tuesday, Arcade Fire next Wednesday, NYC welcomes the birthday girl back with open arms.

Haha, true, true. My jealousy / remaining anger over having to lose my tickets to Arcade Fire / LCD Soundsystem to go on a last minute business trip is still shining through (And Sigur Ros / Mogwai a few months before that). I hope they're both great shows. :up:

Speaking of losing tickets for business trips, I just bought Jonsi pre-sale tickets yesterday, and found out today that a trip I was asked to go on yesterday afternoon is over the day of that show... I may have to tell the company to shove it on this one.

Haha, true, true. My jealousy / remaining anger over having to lose my tickets to Arcade Fire / LCD Soundsystem to go on a last minute business trip is still shining through (And Sigur Ros / Mogwai a few months before that). I hope they're both great shows. :up:

Speaking of losing tickets for business trips, I just bought Jonsi pre-sale tickets yesterday, and found out today that a trip I was asked to go on yesterday afternoon is over the day of that show... I may have to tell the company to shove it on this one.

Oh no, that blows. This is the first time in a decade that my birthday hasn't coincided with the biggest meeting of the year at my job. I told my colleagues last year that as much as I had enjoyed spending 10 consecutive birthdays with them, it wasn't going to happen anymore.

Haha, true, true. My jealousy / remaining anger over having to lose my tickets to Arcade Fire / LCD Soundsystem to go on a last minute business trip is still shining through

I got to see that bill back in 2007. It was AWESOME.

If it makes you feel any better, I almost had a major car accident driving home afterwards.

I saw Arcade Fire/LCD Soundsystem in Seattle. Plus, the Gossip, although I missed most of their set.

It was really super fantastic awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom