Arcade Fire - Funeral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eliv8

Refugee
I just got this yesterday. What a great album. 'Wake Up' caught me off guard. What’s played at the U2 shows is cut short from the original. Good job too because not long after that the song turns into 'You Cant Hurry' Love'. Quite bizarre. I wish I had caught these guys at 'Coachella'. For those of you in Europe they are touring soon. Dates here:

http://www.arcadefire.com/

Reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...pd_sxp_f/103-9054651-2171822?v=glance&s=music

The best CD I have bought in months. This is the band that should have opened this tour.

they're pretty good. i think i would have liked them more if i hadn't downloaded Kasabian the same day, because Kasabian simply blew me away. but Arcade Fire definitely has a good future ahead.

At least this isn't an Oasis or Coldplay thread to look at. :D

I really like this band, I hope they'll get more recognition over here. :up:

The only song i've heard of theirs is "Wake Up," which I was introduced to at a couple U2 shows in Chicago. It's a great song, although something about the singers voice sort of bugs me.

I think I'll pick up this album next week when I go get the new coldplay and oasis albums :D

ImOuttaControl said:
The only song i've heard of theirs is "Wake Up," which I was introduced to at a couple U2 shows in Chicago. It's a great song, although something about the singers voice sort of bugs me.

I think I'll pick up this album next week when I go get the new coldplay and oasis albums :D

definitely buy Funeral. It is the last album I actually bought *cough* and they are my second favorite band right now. :drool:

Hi Lara Mullen, I've gathered from some of your other posts that you don't care for U2 much anymore. That's fine if you feel that way, but I'd ask to you read the thread titled "Ah now i know why miracle drug and sometimes are played together...." over on the General Tour Discussions board. Some fans, like myself, find value in U2's music because we still interpret it as coming from the heart. Maybe I've been duped, but just because Bono is a multi-millionaire doesn't mean that he can't communicate to his audience in a genuine way. If you don't see it that way, that's ok, it's your prerogative.

Anyway, I find the Arcade Fire cd very cool. :up:

2Hearts said:
Hi Lara Mullen, I've gathered from some of your other posts that you don't care for U2 much anymore. That's fine if you feel that way, but I'd ask to you read the thread titled "Ah now i know why miracle drug and sometimes are played together...." over on the General Tour Discussions board. Some fans, like myself, find value in U2's music because we still interpret it as coming from the heart. Maybe I've been duped, but just because Bono is a multi-millionaire doesn't mean that he can't communicate to his audience in a genuine way. If you don't see it that way, that's ok, it's your prerogative.

Anyway, I find the Arcade Fire cd very cool. :up:

Hmm, did I mention not liking U2 here? :hmm:

P.s. I have never said I no longer enjoy U2's music, I'm just not fussed on HTDAAB.

Thanks for your input though.

Funeral is miles ahead of HTDAAB. The Arcade Fire are really amazing, and I've heard that they're live performances blow people away.

Get the album!:drool:

Lara, I guess I was mistaken. There are alot of members here that don't like ATYCLB and/or HTDAAB, that's not uncommon at all. The posts that I disagree with the most are those that say the new music lacks soul and heart. I know it's not as creative, but for me, it's just as genuine. Anyway, sorry I called you out! ;)

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
You really should have used the band index.....

oh come on...of all the bands to get tonns of threads, this is surely one that actually deserves it?

yes, the arcade fire are amazing. end of story. they might even be the best band in the world, if only that "title" didn't so lame now that bono and chris martin have acted like children with it.

Zoomerang96 said:

oh come on...of all the bands to get tonns of threads, this is surely one that actually deserves it?

yes, the arcade fire are amazing. end of story. they might even be the best band in the world, if only that "title" didn't so lame now that bono and chris martin have acted like children with it.

See, that's the problem. Tons of threads. If people would have seen one of the previous threads (I completely understand and can sympathize with those who are new to this section of the forum and just flat out dont notice it), maybe some additional discussion/insights could have been added to what had already been said. How it is now, there's little any of us who have posted in virtually all of those threads have to add other than,"Yes, great album. Whatever." (not that that there's anything inherantly wrong with that) The issue for me is that the same discussion just keeps occurring over and over again, with no new insight.

Then again, it's unlikely that I will ever add any "insight" to anything. :wink: (Oh snap, I just got served!!!!)

That all being said, yes the album is great. Check out the self-titled EP too if you can find it. It's supposedly going to be rereleased, and there are also rumors of a possibly 'live' DVD release. :up:

Eliv8 said:

The best CD I have bought in months. This is the band that should have opened this tour.

I agree with each sentiment.

The great thing about this album is that it is highly listenable all the way through...........every single track.

I agree with pub crawler's echoed sentiments.

On a sidenote...

It's frustrating to see dozens of threads popup about an artist after they are mentioned in the same breath, setlist, or can of pickled eggs as U2.

The efforts of many who post in Bang and Clatter are devalued and rendered useless when their threads are ignored by the attention deficient masses, until of course the stars magically align (re: namedropping). I urge those who have not already to abandon your hardcore fan waterwings and explore the uncharted. A band does not require the notarized seal of approval from Bono to be worthy of a listen, or a liking for that matter.

At the very least, try a new frame of reference for describing music.

I promise that I will too.

Or I will give you candy.

And pickled eggs.

cujo said:
A band does not require the notarized seal of approval from Bono to be worthy of a listen, or a liking for that matter.
:up:

i liked the arcade fire before U2 did.

now gimme some damn candy! :angry:

I know you did lmjh. It was probably SkeeK, mofo, or the bear of many deaths who introduced me to them.

However, your halloween gimmick didn't have enough passion.

Man with pencil for an arm wins.

I gave him some candy.

whooo. i will forever be proud of liking arcade fire before pitchfork gave them 9.7/10. of course i have a friend who saw them live in january of last year, before funeral was even recorded.

but wowzers indeed.. great stuff. it was my album of the year last year.. though i haven't listened to it so much of late.

it was zoorock girl who introduced the world of interference to the arcade fire.

...not that i - or...yeah...am bragging about it.

For me, it was Pitchfork who introduced me to Arcade Fire. Read a terrific review last fall, saw them play in Philly last November and have been a fan ever since. Peace! :)

Interesting group. They sound like "The Rheostatics" on drugs.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom