Apple/Quicktime Rant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
So, I decide today to upgrade to ITunes 5. Download it. It tells me I have to install Quicktime 7 and that I'll have to purchase a new key if I want to keep having Pro functionality. In the past, I've gotten around this by installing everything, then uninstalling just quicktime and re-installing Quicktime 6, for which I have a key. This time however, after doing that little procedure, upon opening Itunes I was informed that Quicktime 6 was installed and that ITunes required Quicktime 7.

Problem #1: Why, oh WHY, doesn't Apple let you upgrade Quicktime for free if you've already purchased a key, like so many other software applications do? Why must you pay freaking $30 to have pro functinality in EVERY new version, especially when it seems like they're making a new version every year? I've wondered this for years and of course the logical answer is SO THE BASTARDS CAN MAKE MORE MONEY.

Problem #2: Why does ITunes HAVE to have QT7? Are there legitimate capabilities that it needs in QT7 or is Apple just trying to force you into spending money if you want pro functionality?

Bah. The bottom line is that if you spend $30 on a key, you should be able to get future upgrades for free.

Anyway, I re-installed QT7 to make ITunes 5 work.

Charging extra for QuickTime Pro is stupid, especially on the Mac where, after spending a couple thousand on a computer, you really don't want to be told you need to spend more just for a few extra features like full screen.

Think of it this way. If you buy the key now, you won't have to buy another for probably 2 more years.

Melon

Exactly why I had no interest in ipods. Not to mention they just released that even smaller ipod, then there's the new one with a color screen.

Now if U2 would just release that box set in a non-digital format...

Back
Top Bottom