Apple or PC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wenda

New Yorker
What do you prefer?

I've only ever had PCs but I'm thinking that the next computer I buy may be an Apple.

I just love the look of them and everyone raves about them...also, Windows just pisses me off sometimes. The only thing will be getting used to the new OS.

What about you guys? Any converts from PC to Apple or Apple diehards? Or do you loooove PCs and would never look elsewhere?

I have converted to Apple. I have an iBook G4 and it's awesome. No problems at all. When my PC is finished, I'm going with Mac. Once you go Mac, you don't go back. :)

For

Gaming
Tweaking
Frustration
Experienced Users

I like PC.

For

Not breaking
Stability
Coolness
Halo Effect
Surfing
Image editing
Video editing
3D animation

I love Apple.

3D animation is still primarily in the realm of PCs, just to make a slight correction. Video editing is also waffling a bit these days. I've been seeing a lot of PC-based Avid systems these days, instead of Mac.

Personally, I hate Macs. I hate how expensive they are. I hate how tightly controlled they are with their hardware. But I also fall under the realm of an "experienced user." Those who don't fall under that category and just primarily use their computer for internet surfing, with the occasional word processing and photo edit can probably use either platform, really.

Melon

melon said:

Personally, I hate Macs. I hate how expensive they are. I hate how tightly controlled they are with their hardware. But I also fall under the realm of an "experienced user." Those who don't fall under that category and just primarily use their computer for internet surfing, with the occasional word processing and photo edit can probably use either platform, really.

Melon

putting aside your personal hate for macs... ;)

those who just use the computer for web surfing and word processing probably aren't "experienced users" and don't want to (or don't know how to) set up windows & deal with all the crap it gives you. Using a mac for these basic things requires no real computer knowledge for it to run very well without breaking.

I love my powerbook :up:

I just got my iBook G4 last Sunday. I'm still trying to get use to the OS, being that all I have ever used was Windows. I'm loving not having to deal with Internet Explorer crashing on me while surfing the internet.

So far I love my new mac. :up:

Macs.

I started looking into them after I got an iPod. That was so easy to use, it got me interested enough to check it out further. I ended up getting a PowerBook and I haven't regretted it. No problems with it all. I use it mainly for school work (word processing) and some graphic presentations. I find it is very easy to use, especially after years of using a PC and Windows.

And as soon as can afford it, I'm going to replace my desktop (which hasn't been used for three months) with an iMac.

No. I know somebody else who has never has that happen. But he really knows what he's doing. And I'm under the impression you actually know what you're doing, as well :up:

But from someone who doesn't use a computer for much beyond a little work or a little play, Macs are much more user friendly.

I have a Toshiba laptop that never crashes.

Stupid question for Mac users (I use a Mac at work but it's the really old OS 9.0) in case this is different in newer versions. In Windows, you have that toolbar at the bottom of your screen where you see all your windows when you minimize them. Do you have that in the new Mac OS, or something like it? I hate how in the old Macs, when you minimize things they clutter all over the bloody desktop. Drives me insane.

Yes, there is a dock at the bottom (or you can move it the top, sides, whatever).

indexfeature20050412.jpg

the rockin edge said:
those who just use the computer for web surfing and word processing probably aren't "experienced users" and don't want to (or don't know how to) set up windows & deal with all the crap it gives you. Using a mac for these basic things requires no real computer knowledge for it to run very well without breaking.

I love my powerbook :up:

Well, that was my point. Macs actually frustrate me, because they're too easy. But, I guess, for most people, that's a selling point.

Melon

I love windows, so PCs :) Machintosh are good too but they're just more complicated... at least, to me they seem like.

Why not both? I have a Windows PC and a PowerBook, and they're both very handy. If you're interested in a Mac, why not give it a shot? They're way cheaper these days than they've ever been, and the move to Intel will close the performance gap that everyone's always complaining about.

And there are plenty of "experienced users" who use Macs. It's a very interesting operating system to tinker with, if you're into that. It's a Mach microkernel that doesn't really run as a microkernel, with a process subsystem derived from FreeBSD (shipping with a lot of very useful userland Unix toys) and an I/O subsystem derived from NeXTSTEP. The higher level gives you two robust APIs (Cocoa, derived from NeXTSTEP, and Carbon, derived from Mac OS Classic) with access to all sorts of neat subsystems (like all the Core services, QuickTime, Spotlight, etc.). Plus, it comes with developer tools (you can install the Xcode IDE off the installer DVD). And everything's scriptable via AppleScript (plus it comes with a ton of Unix scripting languages, like Perl, Python, and Ruby, built-in). What kind of advanced user couldn't find something to play with in all of that? It's really a very fun system to geek out with.

Last edited:
The pc I'm on right now has been alive and well for a good 8 years now. I bought it after my friend used it for 4 years for $200 and I've had no problems.

I recently bought another pc specifically for my gaming habits...I'm pathetic. The first attempt, the power suppy fried. Now I got a great surge protector and it works perfect. I'm a video game nerd though so PC for me. Macs just look cool tho don't they?

I don't play games on my PC. I am going to need a separate hard drive because I have so many pictures and video from my digital camera, and the new iPod has me d/l so much music now and I'd like to keep that separate and protected from the stuff on the main hard drive.

I use a PC. It's what I started off with, and they're very easy to tear down/build and parts are dirt cheap. I don't have any real reason to switch.

MAC, give them a chance , they're really a lot easier to use than they look...all the different features make it a lot more convenient. Having been a PC user for a long time when I eventually switched some years back it was like switching from a Mazda to a BMW.

I'll never go back to PC

---by the way, I have the Powerbook G4 :drool:

I've worked with an Apple II and the original Mac - they were groundbreaking for their day. But, I prefer the ability to build and change a PC. I've built 3 computers at home - all PCs.

typhoon said:
And there are plenty of "experienced users" who use Macs. It's a very interesting operating system to tinker with, if you're into that. It's a Mach microkernel that doesn't really run as a microkernel, with a process subsystem derived from FreeBSD (shipping with a lot of very useful userland Unix toys) and an I/O subsystem derived from NeXTSTEP. The higher level gives you two robust APIs (Cocoa, derived from NeXTSTEP, and Carbon, derived from Mac OS Classic) with access to all sorts of neat subsystems (like all the Core services, QuickTime, Spotlight, etc.). Plus, it comes with developer tools (you can install the Xcode IDE off the installer DVD). And everything's scriptable via AppleScript (plus it comes with a ton of Unix scripting languages, like Perl, Python, and Ruby, built-in). What kind of advanced user couldn't find something to play with in all of that? It's really a very fun system to geek out with.

I'll be honest here. You lost me after the second sentence.:wink:

i thikn pcs are more compatible and universal
but macs are good as well. i'm just saying more people have pcs so if you want to transfer your files or dos omething iono..it might be handy to ahve what most people have.

Back
Top Bottom