anyone see the Austrian Grand Prix today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
the finish was quite a disappointment, Barrichello deserved the win, I know Ferrari wants the points to go to Schumacher, but c'mon, Barrichello lead from the start until the last second... for the people upstairs to order Barrichello to move aside and let Schumacher win, was an embarrassment to the sport and I think it will haunt Ferrari in the PR department for years to come

It happened at the Australian GP a few years ago with David Coulthard and Mika Hakkinen. I reckon when Senna and Prost were together at McLaren theyd have NEVER listened to team orders if told to let the other pass, I really think its irritating and takes away from the competitiveness of the sport- imagine the furore if another american slowed down to let michael johnson win the 400 metres??

I don't know... It was really disappointing. Barrichello deserves that No. 1. Even Schumacher himself was embarrased with that. This is exactly why I don't like the team-centric nature of F1, but that's how it works.

[This message has been edited by christiana (edited 05-13-2002).]

I agree that is a shame on sports and a sad decition by Ferrari team, but it has happened many times, last year in the same race Rubens let Schummi pass to get 2nd place, and not only with Ferrari, but also with smaller teams, and sometimes we didn't notice because the places this teams are secondary, even in the 50's drivers were called to the pits to give his seat to Fangio when he was chasing a championship, press all over the world has blasted Schumii for passing and Rubens for letting him pass, I think Ferrari has been so superior that press sometimes need something that makes this year in F1 sell papers, obviously it was a decition by Mr. Montezemolo, or Mr. Todt or Mr. Brown, both drivers were shocked, but Barrichelo is a grown man, he just signed a 2 year deal, to HELP Schummi win, if Schummi needs this points or not, we will see at the end, I personally think he doesn't.
Another piece of information, they drivers received the order in the final curves, Rubenns lifted, and its obvious Schummi also lifts, in the end Rubbens lifts more and makes sure Schummi passes him, I'm sure that with more time to think Schummi wouldn't have passed Rubens.
In the end sports in the XXI century, bussines.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

Moreso than most sports, F1 is all about the team - Ferrari want a world champ - they do whatever they can to get one.

How silly if he didn't pull over and Schumi loses by 2 points at the end?

how about the whole world calling your driver's victory a disgrace to the sport? or maybe silly is not the right word to use... like it or not, Ferrari has made complete jerks of themselves and brought on the scorn of sport fans worldwide, who will probably perceive Schumacher's inevitable 5th championship as "tainted"

even the President of the Ferrari fan club ripped the move as there was very little celebration after the win, silly silly people! a win is a win is a win!!!

This is all part of the F1.Why dont people remember that Schumacher "moved over" to let Eddie Irivine win the 1999 Malaysian Grand Prix.This was when Schumacher was leading by some 20 odd seconds.Back then he and Ferrari were appluaded for their sportsmanship, by helping one of their drivers to get C'ship.

The same thing happened over here.It has happened in the past and it will happen in the future.Its just that media doesnt want to see it this way!

------------------
Gravity Pulls Me Down,U2 Lifts Me Up

Originally posted by The Wanderer:

even the President of the Ferrari fan club ripped the move as there was very little celebration after the win, silly silly people! a win is a win is a win!!!

He will forget about this, when he will see the new sponsors lining up if Schumi..if wins again.Its not so much about the sports, its all about two things

1.WINNING
2.MONEY

If you want to see sports and values watch Cricket not F1, its a bloody cold blooded business....but somehow I find it really exciting

------------------
Gravity Pulls Me Down,U2 Lifts Me Up

Back
Top Bottom