Anyone on or try Weight Watchers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wenda

New Yorker
I'm thinking of signing up and was on the website and had a question.

Is there much difference doing it online or in person? Or do you feel there's more commitment going to the meetings?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

im on it...its taught me alot about making better choices in what i eat.

its a struggle for me to keep within the points. but im getting there.

go for it:)

DeadMansParty said:
the BAWS are on it, its only been a little over a month, but they look great.

Help me out, I'm a little slow, lol...BAWS?

Bono's American Wife and me, Mr. BAW.... joined WW on5/19...I've lost 19+ lbs. and Mrs. BAW has lost 15....we're doing points...maintain your portions; work in dedicated exercise (gym every other day for us, even now, we're in Tucson, AZ but we hit the gym this a.m.) and be honest...no slipping; doing pts. every other day. that won't work.....you get out of it what you put into it....

and thanks to DMP for his observations...:up:

Thanks very much! I'm already a member of a gym, I just need the help with the food. I'll be joining soon.

my mom is on it and has lost like 18 pounds in 2 months. its a pretty simple diet that is easy to follow cause u count up the points. not to mention, their desserts are pretty damn good too.

I'm a fan of it, and I've tried just about everything out there. I like is since you can eat pretty much anything, just in moderation. When I was heavier back in high school - I lost 60lbs doing it. It's easy to maintain on it too, because you never really truly have to give up/eliminate anything. I used more diligently before my wedding to lose a bit more for my dress. One of my best friends lost 40lbs using the online method.

Thanks everyone!! I do believe I shall join when the next meeting happens.

Is there much difference doing it online or in person?

The real benefit of programs like Weight Watchers is a change in personal habits. I think you might have greater influence meeting with other people instead of doing it online. An accountability partner really helps.

I looked at it but ended up doing the South Beach Diet. No counting points and I never go hungry. I lost 25 pounds in about 7 weeks. For the past 2 months or so, I have adapted to the 'South Beach Lifestyle' and have not put any weight back on.

wenda said:
Thanks very much! I'm already a member of a gym, I just need the help with the food. I'll be joining soon.

Are you the sort of person who prefers to relate to people in the same boat or do you like to hang with the smart kids?

Weight Watchers will be a group of people in the same boat. Some will row on ahead, some will paddle slowly, and some will row with one oar out of the water, around and around in a circle.

Weight Watchers can provide you with information on correcting your diet.

Going to the gym is the equivalent of hanging out with the smart kids. There will be athletes and champions at the gym. Go and stretch next to the champion. Choose the crosstrainer next to the athlete. They have made it and so can you.

As for the diet, going to the gym can correct bad eating habits. After I leave the gym, sweating and stinking, with every muscle humming theres no way I could pump junk food into my body. It's not even attractive.

It depends what kind of environment motivates you personally.

Me personally - last year I was very ill and pregnant at the same time (woohoo, lol) and put on 27kgs (60 pounds ) due to bedrest, hospitalisation, etc . I've now lost all of the weight by excercising, going to the gym, hiring a personal trainer for 5 sessions to help me get back on track, etc.

You can do it. Work out which kind of person you are and choose the path that best suits you and only you.

peace

Hello, I didn't mean to kill this thread. Apologies if I offended. I have stayed out of most of the weight loss threads as the topic is almost exclusively about diet. Given Wenda mentioned gym membership I wanted to encourage her to excercise. I meant no offense to the dieters.

I have had tremendous success at the gym so I'm a bit happy happy joy joy/annoying about it.

The principle of comfort is the same. Whether its going to the gym and being encouraged by seeing others working out hard, or going to diet meetings and being encouraged by the success stories.

I wish every one all the best in their quest.

beli said:
Hello, I didn't mean to kill this thread. Apologies if I offended. I have stayed out of most of the weight loss threads as the topic is almost exclusively about diet. Given Wenda mentioned gym membership I wanted to encourage her to excercise. I meant no offense to the dieters.

I have had tremendous success at the gym so I'm a bit happy happy joy joy/annoying about it.

The principle of comfort is the same. Whether its going to the gym and being encouraged by seeing others working out hard, or going to diet meetings and being encouraged by the success stories.

I wish every one all the best in their quest.

No offense at all :)! I love going to the gym and did some yoga at home today so I'm keeping up the exercise. I just don't have the support at the gym that helps, lol. Everyone says 'good for you' but they don't go so I find that it's one sided and just like a pat on the arm.

Does that make sense? lol.

My cousin and my aunt both lost a lot of weight on it. I had a hard time on WW because I'm a vegetarian and it just didnt' work for me. Surprisingly the Atkins diet, even though it's geared towards meat eaters, has done wonders for me. I lost at least 20 pounds last year and haven't gained anything back. I'm not really following anything anymore but I have maintained a low carb lifestyle at home and rarely have anything with tons of carbs unless I go out.

wenda said:

No offense at all :)! I love going to the gym and did some yoga at home today so I'm keeping up the exercise. I just don't have the support at the gym that helps, lol. Everyone says 'good for you' but they don't go so I find that it's one sided and just like a pat on the arm.

Does that make sense? lol.

Yes, perfect sense.

I get my support from just being at the gym. There's a champion bodybuilder who goes to the gym at the same time as me. I enjoy watching her dedication and when I'm starting to pass out on the crosstrainer and I can see her still chugging away just as hard as when she first got on the machine she inspires me to push myself harder. I don't know her. I've only spoken to her once. I don't want to be as fit as her, just fit on a level appropriate for me.

That's what I was trying to say in my first post. Different people respond to different encouragements. Sometimes I do need a pat on the back and have previously hired a personal trainer for 5 sessions to boost my ego/one on one direct encouragment, or attending a class and receiving encouragment from the instructor. But for the most part I'm just happy seeing other people work themselves harder than me and being inspired to do the same.

If a diet programme in a social environment gives you what you need to loose your weight, then do it. At the end of the day, which ever route we take, the goal is to be fit and health.

The fact that you are posting threads, asking questions, says to me that you are taking your health seriously. I wish you all the best in your quest and hope you have an enjoyable and path along the way to obtaining your goal :hug:

beli said:

Yes, perfect sense.

I get my support from just being at the gym. There's a champion bodybuilder who goes to the gym at the same time as me. I enjoy watching her dedication and when I'm starting to pass out on the crosstrainer and I can see her still chugging away just as hard as when she first got on the machine she inspires me to push myself harder. I don't know her. I've only spoken to her once. I don't want to be as fit as her, just fit on a level appropriate for me.

That's what I was trying to say in my first post. Different people respond to different encouragements. Sometimes I do need a pat on the back and have previously hired a personal trainer for 5 sessions to boost my ego/one on one direct encouragment, or attending a class and receiving encouragment from the instructor. But for the most part I'm just happy seeing other people work themselves harder than me and being inspired to do the same.

If a diet programme in a social environment gives you what you need to loose your weight, then do it. At the end of the day, which ever route we take, the goal is to be fit and health.

The fact that you are posting threads, asking questions, says to me that you are taking your health seriously. I wish you all the best in your quest and hope you have an enjoyable and path along the way to obtaining your goal :hug:

I actually have a personal trainer and sometimes I just feel like he could encourage me more and have me doing things that work my body more than he does. I know that weight training is good for being more lean, I just like to do more cardio so I can sweat.

Thanks so much for your encouragement. It really does mean a lot when it all feels pointless sometimes. :hug:

wenda said:

I actually have a personal trainer and sometimes I just feel like he could encourage me more and have me doing things that work my body more than he does. I know that weight training is good for being more lean, I just like to do more cardio so I can sweat.

Thanks so much for your encouragement. It really does mean a lot when it all feels pointless sometimes. :hug:

:lol: You sound like me. I prefer cardio too. Theres a real buzz out of leaving the gym all sweaty and stinky. And cardio sets of those endorphin/natural high thingies. I always do cardio after weights as my reward. lol

As for your trainer, get another one. Theres tonnes of them. My trainer is really good. I told her I needed to loose weight and I wanted to tone my abs, butt, and that bit that hangs over the bra at the back. My bra lines are now perfect, my butt is damn fabulous - can we say peach - and I'm still working on my abs. I'll get there.

Seriously if your trainer is not encouraging you the way you need tell the gym manager what you need and he/she can find you one more appropriate to your personality. Theres no point paying good money to someone whos not motivating you. That must be especially demoralising when you have taken the action to conciously attack your health issues and the trainer is not doing his best. :mad: Throw him back in, and get a new one. :up:

Oops, before I race out the door to go to the gym. lol

1) Have you got a training diary/workout tracker? You can buy them at book stores. Studies have shown that people who log their excercise are more successful. It's wonderful to flip through the book and say "look how many times I've used that bloody pec dec machine!". lol. I get a great deal of satisfaction from listing my exercise. I'm really crap at listing my diet though. Thats too depressing for me as I see the chocolate frogs I have consumed and get depressed about it. An exercise diary is listing the positives.
I'm personally someone that likes making lists and ticking things off. I get a real high from doing that. lol.

oops, there was another thing too but I must race. Back later.

Back
Top Bottom