Anyone here been to MALTA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
MALTA is perhaps the most southern part of Europe although its really an Island in the Mediterranean Sea almost as close to Africa as Europe. Still, it was owned by the British from 1800 until 1964 I believe and from what I have read, most people do speak English or Italian in addition to Maltese. So if you have been there, I'd be interested in any info you could provide.

STING:

I don't have any info on it but one of my college fraternity brothers lived there for a spell as a child. His father was an economist.

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
WOW very interesting. As an Economist, who was his father working for in Malta? Did your Frat Brother have anything to say about his time there?

I was there for a bit, but I can't tell you much more than that it is a beautiful place.

I don't recall his recollections of it, but I could find out; we e-mail occasionally. I am not sure who his father was working with at the time, but when I knew his father, he was my faculty advisor and an econ professor at our college. My friend actually spent time in several other international locales as a kid. I don't think they ever lived in Reykjavik though.

~U2Alabama

I agree it sounds like a fascinating place. But anywhere that has buildings more than 200 years old is interesting to me...which is pretty much everywhere but here.

I know someone who lives there but I dont think he sings its praises very much. What did you want to know?

I've never been to Malta, but it's one of the countries I'm quite fascinated by it. I'd love to visit the place someday. ;)

I wanted to know in general what the people were like. Do most speak English? What life on the Island is like? How many people in Europe use it as a place for vacation? Despite its small size, would it be a fun and interesting place to spend New Years for about a week? New Years this year is on a Wendsday. Being the southern most point of Europe, how cold does it get that time of year and how much rain do they get? Of course some of this can be answered by internet and travel book sources, but I'm interested in a more personal perspective.

Back
Top Bottom