anyone here adopted an animal/mammal overseas or .......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
....I suppose, on their own land! ....just wonderin if anyone here has, and if so what it was and its name and stuff..........................

I only ever see adverts on leaflets or in mags, but I just dont know the true ins and outs of adopting animals u never see...........anyone explain to me?

sorry, to sound a right plonker for not knowin!

:)

isn't this usually done with children in third world regions?
no offense, as animals are important too, but i think the kids should come before the animals.
alex trebec and sally struthers usually have late nite infomercials showing them feeding rice to the children. it's really :sad:
or maybe that was the 'get-your-own-pc-repair-diploma-from-home' one.

Oh I know Koby.....but i just curious as I see a lot of whales up for adoption and a girl from our company adopted a horse overseas......but, I guess, I wasnt sure if these a 'real' or 'rip-offs' and I dont mean that offensive!

:(

that's cool. i've never heard of that. must be an ireland thing. where is overseas?

I think it's valid if it's through the Wildlife Fund or a legitimate organization like that. They have packets of iinformation at the National Zoo about it, so I'd assume they're real.

I want to adopt a snow leopard! :love:

hmmm, well let's see here. :D When I lived in Sulawesi, we had a few fun pets. One was a kus-kus (pronounced just like the food "couscous") which is a sort of sloth/marsupial. It has very sharp claws and a long tail that it will hang upside down from sometimes. They eat leaves. The one we had was called "Lucy" and she was all brown unlike the one in the picture.

cuscus.jpg

One of my good friends at school had a loris and our dorm also had one for a while. These things are small enough to cling to your wrist or sit on your shoulder. Their fingers are like little suction cups. They eat bugs and stuff so they're nice to have around the house. Nocturnal mainly, so they are sleepy in the day.

loris.jpg

Lastly, at my high school we had a baby orangutan for a month or so. It wasn't something we went out looking for. Some poachers came in from the jungles trying to sell it, having shot the mother to catch the baby. :( The little guy had cuts on his head from when his mum fell out of the tree. Anyways, they knew we were "orang barat" (westerners) and figured we might want an exotic pet, so they tried to sell it to my science teacher. Initially he turned them down, but when they came back around, he figured we might buy it so as to save it from a life of being some rich persons tame monkey, treat its wounds, and then give it to the Indonesian Forestry commission to be re-released into the wild or live on a game preserve.

Anyways, we called him Jack and he was a precious little thing. Baby orangutans have to be hanging onto someone at all times, so he was quite literally a handful! My science teacher was his primary caretaker so he had to even sleep with the little thing cuz it couldn't stand to be alone for so much as a second. lol. The great part was when he taught classes. We'd have Jack in the classroom...usually being held by one of us girls until he'd mess his diaper, let me tell you...changing a diaper on a very STRONG (these things are all muscle), clingy monkey who doesn't want to be separated from you for a minute is not real fun. :p But for what it's worth, that is one of my happiest memories of going to boarding school in Borneo. :D Sitting in class with a baby orangutan on my lap staring up at me with those huge eyes. We gave him to the game preserve eventually and I hope he is happily swinging through the trees somewhere now.

orangutan.jpg

Awwwww Sula, that moment with the Orangutan must have been so precious!!!!

I tink the Spider Monkeys are cute!

If there was one mammal I was always tempted to adopt, it would be a whale....what stops me is proof that its all bein donated properly and that..........u could say, Id rather be out there helpin, knowin Im doin it, than it all in words and cash.......ya know? Its my dream to be with whales..............

And Sula, my mummy wants a hedghog! :D

:)

I have a Dolphin called Sutor at the moment...

..and so does half the UK.

I used to have Bubbles but I found out that nearly all my friends had Bubbles too so I changed Dolphins!

lol

I could have adopted a Whale too. It's through the Whale and Dolphin Society. You get a little certificate and a newsletter every few months updating you on where they are in the world etc.

:D

Jo

Back
Top Bottom