Anyone from Chicago? Need Info...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

one4u2

ONE love, blood, life
**Mods sorry if I posted in wrong forum**

So lately I've been so fed up with New York I've been researching various cities and I find Chicago to be one that I have the most interest in. Although I've never been, I've heard great things from friends, coworkers etc that I've done some job and housing research and I posted my resume on craigslist. I have already have spoken with some potential employers and I have checked out the housing situation and as a realtor in New York I cannot believe what you can get for the money! It is incredible to me ! Anyway, I just wanted some various info on specific areas, good/bad and what the job market is like. I imagine it's much better than than New York as most things are; it's waay to pricey here and job hunting has become impossible! I have friends making six figures and they can barely live :|

The scary part however is I'd be doing everything on my own, flying down seeing the city etc and my friends and family are here.:( but I guess you only live once! Any thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

WildHoneyAlways said:
Do you want to live in the city?
What neighborhoods are you looking at?
I'd be glad to offer my opinion. :wink:

The city would of course be ideal and I did pull up some listings but I'm not sure where any of them even are :wink: Here's what I found:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/apa/178674732.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/apa/178684268.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/apa/178691269.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/apa/178681143.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/rfs/178689947.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/apa/178581094.html

Chicago is great.

I grew up outside of NYC and hope (no offense to the NYC Interferencers) never to have to live there again.

Chicago has the BIG city feel of NY, but is populated with midwesterners who I feel have a better sense of others around them than what New Yorkers may have. I recently moved back to the Midwest, and am happy to be (again) within two hours (drive) of Chicago.

Now, WHA might disagree with me, but I love the Northside of the city. I love the neighborhoods on the northside.

My boyfriend grew up in Northbrook, Illinois, which is very close to Chicago. I understand it's one of the suburbs. I don't know much about Chicago except that my boyfriend seems to adore it. He moved here, to West Virginia, when he was about 12, and he basically still talks about Chicago as home and longs to move back. I imagine we'll move there at some point in the future. I've heard only good things about it from him, and other people who've been there. He talks about all the great things the actual city has to offer, not to mention the numerous suburbs that seem to be great places to live and if the situation arises, raise a family.

I cannot wait until I actually get the opportunity to visit Chicago. I have such a weird feeling about it, because originally, my boyfriend was going to move back there. Now, he is not moving, but I still have that elusive Chicago always in my subconscious. I have to know what it's appeal is.

Chicago is a great city! I live in Hodgkins....one of the suburbs of Chicago...or the Chicagoland area as it's known and it's a really friendly city. Yea, it has that Big City feel to it sometimes.....but Chicago isn't as bad as NYC or L.A. (Sorry to anyone who lives in or around those two cities :reject: ).

There are a lot of things to do and lots of places to eat :drool: I recommend going to our parks...and I also recommend going on a boat in the dead of night....the skyline is something to behold! :drool:

Oh and I also recommend taking the CTA/Pace for public transportation...cause driving can be a bitch sometimes! :lol:

zoney! said:

Now, WHA might disagree with me, but I love the Northside of the city. I love the neighborhoods on the northside.

:angry: assclowns. The closer you are to Wrigley Field the more assclowns you will encounter.

Anyway, assclowns aside, the Northside is fantastic. A few of the places you have listed are either in Lincoln Park or Lakeview, both great areas. When looking for a place consider if you will be taking public transportation to work. (ie, how close will you be to an EL stop)

I'd also like to add that there are other great places to live than the northside.
Wicker Park is great. (it's where the Real World loft was) The South Loop is also an up and coming area. I have quite a few friends who live there and love it. Great views of the city there.

WildHoneyAlways said:
I'd also like to add that there are other great places to live than the northside.
Wicker Park is great. (it's where the Real World loft was) The South Loop is also an up and coming area. I have quite a few friends who live there and love it. Great views of the city there.

:hug:

How is the job market?

I :love: Chicago and am actually working on moving there this year :). Such an incredible city with so many things to see and do. Plus the people I have encountered on my visits were quite nice :).

Oh and my bf lives in Lemont which is about 45 minutes from the city. One of my favorite areas near where he lives is Tinley Park.

Last edited:
I moved to Chicago 9 months ago, not knowing anybody here and I LOVE the city and the people. If your planning a visit out here let me know , I can help you out and I was in the same situation that you are in. :)

bonomofo said:
I moved to Chicago 9 months ago, not knowing anybody here and I LOVE the city and the people. If your planning a visit out here let me know , I can help you out and I was in the same situation that you are in. :)

That's so nice of you thanks! :hug: I am looking to come sooner then later...Did you have a job lined up when you got there? How did you do it?

From what I understand, Chicago has one of the best job markets in the nation. This was just reported the other day when W. was in town for his birthday. The neighborhoods mentioned above are excellent, if on the more expensive side. Which I'm sure you've found out. But if you want to live close to the city, those are ideal.

A few "bad" areas are obviously the West side and the South East side. Though, as with any big city, there are bad people everywhere.

Good luck :hug: Chicago really is an amazing city. I hope you'll love it here as much as us natives do. :)

Edgette said:
From what I understand, Chicago has one of the best job markets in the nation. This was just reported the other day when W. was in town for his birthday. The neighborhoods mentioned above are excellent, if on the more expensive side. Which I'm sure you've found out. But if you want to live close to the city, those are ideal.

A few "bad" areas are obviously the West side and the South East side. Though, as with any big city, there are bad people everywhere.

Good luck :hug: Chicago really is an amazing city. I hope you'll love it here as much as us natives do. :)

I'm still kicking the entire idea around but it's great to hear so many positive things!!! Now I just have to get there, line up some interviews and see if I even like it :happy: It's good to know a lot of you are there i:up:

one4u2 said:

That's so nice of you thanks! :hug: I am looking to come sooner then later...Did you have a job lined up when you got there? How did you do it?

No ... actually I started working at Borders when I got here and then I got a real job. I actually moved out here for jobs and I have been pretty lucky.

Also if your looking for an apartment, chicago apartment finders is pretty good, you don't have to pay ... they get paid by getting you into an apartment... and it's how I found my place.

bonomofo said:

No ... actually I started working at Borders when I got here and then I got a real job. I actually moved out here for jobs and I have been pretty lucky.

A big reason why I am going as well is for the job market. I actually have been looking daily on Craigslist to see what's out there.Being I'm in New York, here the job market sux and the housing market is crazy so I'm sure it'll be much better. However, I'd never be so lucky, I'd have to find something first!

Lakeview, Roscoe Village, Lincoln Park, Old Town, Near North, Gold Coast, Wicker Park, Loop/South Loop are all nice but there are nice places to live all over the city.

If you're looking to rent check out the Chicago Reader too. They have a great search option.

www.chicagoreader.com

WildHoneyAlways said:
Lakeview, Roscoe Village, Lincoln Park, Old Town, Near North, Gold Coast, Wicker Park, Loop/South Loop are all nice but there are nice places to live all over the city.

If you're looking to rent check out the Chicago Reader too. They have a great search option.

www.chicagoreader.com

Cool thanks! but I would need to find a job first :happy:

If anyone has recruiters they could recommend that'd be helpful.

Last edited:
We live in the West Loop and it's fantastic--the housing is not the deal it was 8-10 years ago but still a bigger bang for your buck than Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Roscoe Village, etc. I've lived in Chicago 15 years and grew up in the 'burbs so I've kind of been all over the place.

What kind of a job are you looking for?

Catlady said:
We live in the West Loop and it's fantastic--the housing is not the deal it was 8-10 years ago but still a bigger bang for your buck than Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Roscoe Village, etc. I've lived in Chicago 15 years and grew up in the 'burbs so I've kind of been all over the place.

What kind of a job are you looking for?

I'm open to anything new but my specialty is real estate.

Back
Top Bottom