Any other Floridians in the paths of Charley or Bonnie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate Dogg

Refugee
I awoke to news that the island I work on has been ordered to evacuate, so no work today...I live in Fort Myers, about 15 miles inland. It's turning into a madhouse here, a mad rush for supplies in anticipation of tomorrow afternoon(Bonnie is expected to make landfall in northern Florida today). I know there are a handful of interferencers in the Tampa area, which now seems to be on Charley's path. Hope everyone stays safe from the storm....I'm on my way out to gather supplies..... yay.

Checking in and representing for the Tampa Bay! Whoohoo ridin' the hurricane donkey!! :mad:

As an aside bitch and moan, my pool guy didn't drain our pool that is already overflowing this morning - which is bad b/c the rain from the storm will now flood our entire porch. :sigh: :rant:

Yeah - I'm getting a tad anxious. I can't seperate drama from truth on this one. It looks like a direct hit - they're evacuating Pinellas, and my pool and lake are overflooded. Tampa can't handle anymore rain!! :scream:

I'm not, but both of my vacation spots are in jeopardy (Marco Island, FL and Gulf Shores, AL). I talked to my grandparents today who live south of Naples (coast of south western Florida) for 6 months of the year and they said some of that area and Sanibel is supposed to evacuate tonight. They don't have insurance on their trailor down there so hopefully it remains intact.

We've been told to report to work tomorrow and bring a 3 day supply of food, clothes, and other needed items.

The rec center's being used as a shelter, yay :|

One of the benefits of working in local government I guess. I don't know exactly what they want the rec center employees to do though :shrug:

Last edited:
:hug: best of luck to all who are in the path.

The only thing Atlanta had this morning were some hard downpours (which made me sleep very well) but by the end of the afternoon it was pretty, cool and windy.

We called my cousin who lives in Tampa last night, she had no clue about the storms. :der: :laugh:

Last edited:
It's 3:30 in the morning (I was awoken by thunder) and we're expecting the worst of it at about 6 PM Friday. A band of thunderstorms is passing through the area as I type, and things will start worsening later in the morning. We're hoping for a more westerly track to keep the storm surge to a minimum. Most of the couny I live in is at or below sea level...you do the math! Keeping our fingers crossed...

they just upgraded Charley to category 3. i hope everyone is safe and stays safe. :hug:

i have an aunt and uncle that live in florida, last i heard they lived somewhere near venice. venice is supposed to get the direct hit (or close to it) in a couple hours.

i haven't talked to them in a while though. i will have to ask my mom when i talk to her tonite if she's heard from them.

also there are some other interferencers that i know of that haven't posted here in a while that are from florida. bonovista is from tampa and wahine is from somewhere in florida too.

Good news = Tampa area spared, or at least compared to what was predicted

Bad news = Charley came on shore right where my grandma lives :( Good thing she's not there now, but her house could be in bad shape.

I hope Nate Dogg of Fort Myers is OK!

I've been checking out some of the footage throughout the day today. Oh, my god :tsk:...this is a time when I'm very, very thankful that I live smack dab in the middle of the country. Hurricanes aren't an issue here. Poor Florida-you're just getting slapped with both of these systems. And the flooding you guys are gonna experience...geez...

Saw that tornado that hit Jacksonville yesterday, too-yeowza (I also heard a sad story earlier about 3 people being killed by a tornado, one of those three was a child :( :sad:...).

Very scary stuff, it looks like. Hopefully those of you who were ordered to evacuate have done so and are far away from the danger, and those of you who are still around have a good place to take shelter. Stay safe, everyone in that area :hug:-we want to see you back here again!

the eye should go over me in Orlando in the next couple hours. It's starting to settle down, but there was a tornado on my street a few hours ago. I want out of this state.

Yes, how IS everyone? Florida has the most annual tornadoes per 10,000 sq. miles. I hope there wasn't too much damage by you, womanfish! I'd trade placed with you any day though, I loveth Florida! (although, my bf drove past a tornado here in Michigan a few days ago...)

Here I am....Fort Myers was spared the kind of damage that the barrier islands and Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area was...although there is widespread damage in Fort Myers. I have never been through, or never want to go through that again. I was scared...It's one of those things that's not easy to explain to thoise who have never been in one. The community has come together in ways I have never seen. Right now, a majority of Southwest Florida is still without power. Ours was restored late yesterday....still no phone service. The relief efforts have come relatively swift thanks to the lessons of Andrew in 92 on the east coast. It is an unbsettling feeling to drive around to see the national guard directing traffic, people witing for blocks to buy ten dollars worth of gas. The people just to the north of Fort Myers had it the worst, and I feel for them. The damage here is extensive, but not as concentrated as it is there. As of right now, I am basically without a job, as are many others. I work out on Sanibel Island, which will not even be opened to residents until Wednesday at the earliest(imagine the frustration of those people!...not even allowed back to their homes to see what happened). It was a dark day in southwest Florida(Friday the 13th to top it all off). I have never seen anything like the desruction that Charley has caused. I've heard it about Hurricane Donna in 1960 for the last twenty years....this was our Donna....

Thank you all for messages of concern....they are appreciated greatly. I consider myself lucky to still have a roof over my head, my family, and my life.....

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Yes, how IS everyone? Florida has the most annual tornadoes per 10,000 sq. miles. I hope there wasn't too much damage by you, womanfish! I'd trade placed with you any day though, I loveth Florida! (although, my bf drove past a tornado here in Michigan a few days ago...)

Ooh, freaky :ohmy:. Tornadoes are one thing that I'd be thrilled to see leave this earth for good.

Anywho, Nate Dogg, very glad to hear you're doing fine, as is your family, and that you still have a roof over your head and everything :hug:. I can imagine it'd be hard to describe...I'll definitely take your word for it about how scary it was (geez, it all looked frightening just from what I saw on TV, I can't even begin to imagine actually experiencing it).

I feel so bad for the people down there :tsk: :(. The Red Cross has been showing commercials on the Weather Channel, telling people about how to help the victims of this-perhaps after my family gets settled into our new home soon here we can see if there's anything we can do. I hope you get your job back soon, and I hope that everything starts returning to normal in that state soon.

Also, may all those who lost their lives in this storm rest in peace.

Nate Dog, Glad to hear you are ok. I'm from Mass. but our other work office and headquarters is on Metro Parkway in Ft. Myers. I have alot of fellow employees there who I've yet to hear from. I tried calling a couple all weekend but had no luck getting through. I just checked our company web site and it says that they will be open for buisness at noon today and that Hurricane Charley has affected many employees with severe damage to homes, etc;. My thoughts are with all of you in FLA.

Back
Top Bottom