Any Kurt Vonnegut readers????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Vonnegut is an author that I have just gotten into and I have so far devoured every book of his that I can get my hands on. So incredibly witty and funny, yet serious. Any one else enjoy his work? Favorite book? I can't decide between Cat's Cradle, Breakfast of Champions, and Slaughterhouse-5.

Also, does anyone else notice a very big similarity between Douglas Coupland's writing style and Vonnegut's?

Just thought I'd throw it out there. :D

-sula

i did read cat's cradle and slaughterhouse-5, but that was ages ago back in high school. i should re-read them now that i am a more worldly person.

i do remember being terrified of ice-9, if i am remembering the name correctly.

and sula, were you the one who started the anna karenina thread?? i read that damn book, and was DISAPPOINTED! sorely!!

lol. nope, I recommended Brothers Karamazov. And now I would add Crime and Punishment! Best book I have read all year, I think. :D

well then! that's fine!

i will read them both.

now, sula...i have a new LOTR thread in PLEBAns. make sure you check it out and add some photos!!

Kurt Vonnegut went to my school. Yes he surely did.

The only Vonnegut book I've read is Slaughterhouse 5, but it's one of my favorite books. He manages to say something serious without constantly beating you over the head with how serious he's being. And I loved the way he played with time in that book. Not really sure why I never read anything else of his...probably should get down to it. lol.

helllo?!?!?!? GINA??? where the heck have you been???

i've been online for like 3 days straight and the damn place is deserted!!!!:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Hi sula!!!!

I love Kurt Vonnegut, but I haven't read him in years! I really like Galapagos, too, in addition to the other books. If you like Vonnegut, you might like a children's book called Holes, by Louis Sachar. It won the Newbery last year, I think, and it's like a Vonnegut book for sixth graders. It's very good. Try it; it'll take you an afternoon or two.

elizabeth said:
helllo?!?!?!? GINA??? where the heck have you been???

i've been online for like 3 days straight and the damn place is deserted!!!!:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

It's called Thanksgiving, dear. I was home from Wednesday until Sunday. ;)

[/post that has nothing to do with Kurt Vonnegut]

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

It's called Thanksgiving, dear. I was home from Wednesday until Sunday. ;)

[/post that has nothing to do with Kurt Vonnegut]

i KNOW it was thanksgiving. that's why I, too, was home from wednesday until sunday.

but no one else was here!!

(sorry again. nothing about kurt v.)

I have yet to read anything by Vonnegut, although I would love to if I had the time. I've also been wanting to explore more of Dostoevsky, but being an english major and having 8000 other books to read, I'll have to wait until after graduation in May.

well, here's something about books, even if not about Kurt. I just started Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.

Assessments?

I have hated Steinbeck since i read The Red Pony in eighth grade. My teacher tried to win me back, but there was nothing doing.

So....what have you all thought of him as a writer? storyteller?

I love Steinbeck. Of Mice and Men and Grapes of Wrath are two of my (many) favorite books. He has such a quiet, simple style. Just lets the story unfold. It's actually been about six years since I've read either of those books, so I can't provide much (any) more detail than that. So helpful I am. :der:

Back
Top Bottom