Any Genesis fans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopMartian33107

Acrobat
Hello. This is a topic to discuss Genesis, throughout their entire career.

Many people bitch that they "sucked" in the 80's, but just take a look at some of these awesome songs. Turn It On Again. Abacab. Mama. That's All. Home By the Sea Parts One AND Two. Land of Confusion. Tonight Tonight Tonight. I Can't Dance. Jesus He Knows Me. Domino. Throwing It All Away. Keep It Dark. Need I go on?

They were great in the 70's, too, just a whole lot different.

Any other U2 fans out there that appreciate Genesis and you want to talk about the band? Please do so! :)

That's all... :D

hey

yes
i dig gabriel work
4-man unit was also pretty good
3-man unit was fantastic , although they went more into pop direction and made one bad record ( shapes , that is , one side great , the other is awful )
favourites : Duke's Travels , Domino , Romeo and Juliet

i heard , they will release live concerts on cd's , pretty soon :rockon: :wave:

PopMartian33107 said:

Many people bitch that they "sucked" in the 80's, but just take a look at some of these awesome songs. Turn It On Again. Abacab. Mama. That's All. Home By the Sea Parts One AND Two. Land of Confusion. Tonight Tonight Tonight. I Can't Dance. Jesus He Knows Me. Domino. Throwing It All Away. Keep It Dark. Need I go on?

I like many of the songs on your list but I didn't care for the I Can't Dance album at all. They were pretty good in the early 80's but I wouldn't rate much of their more recent stuff personally.

PopMartian33107 said:
Sweet WinnieThePoo, I didn't even know about the live CD's! :)

well , go to

official genesis web site
thier official site is not that bad , forums are good , check them

although their record company is very slow with releases
video hits for U.S. , will be released only in late fall
Genesis recorded almost every gig
i heard that Duke Sides live ( live from Lyceum theatre ) will be released , they 've just
finished the mixing etc
the whole show , with no cuts
so let's hope for the best

:)

Peace

Peter Gabriel Genesis was scary but good.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is very cool.

Also Supper's Ready, I don't recall what album that is on, but that song is incredible.

As for the post-Gabriel stuff. I like some of it, some of it is very cool, self titled album (1980?) Home by The Sea, Mama etc very good. Invisible Touch was really good in parts, the last one with Collins was a bit bland, and I didn't even bother when they got the new singer after him Congo, I think was the album?

That early stuff is creepy and weird in ways that Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, Ozzie, Rob Zombie couldnt fuckign manufacture if they tried. PG with that weird shaved extended forehead is definitely weird. But it's cool in the same way, I guess.

"Supper's Ready" was on Foxtrot. And you're right; the last album with their new singer, Ray Wilson, wasn't very good. It sold a lot of copies over in Britain, however. They had to cancel the tour in the U.S. because it did so poorly here.

I remember when there were rumors that the "new" Genesis were going to borrow the PopMart screens for their "world tour". Ha! What a riot that was! :D Do you guys remember that rumor?

Come on, closet Genesis fans! Let's talk about the G-Men! Don't be shy... :)

That's all...

I have a good friend who is a big Genesis fan so I have had the experience of seeing them live and hearing their stuff blasting in the car when he drives somewhere! :lol:

That being said, I'm no huge fan, but they have some good songs. I have seen them live twice and they were pretty good. I like Domino and Home By The Sea.

My "guess" would be that Collins, Banks and Rutherford will do a reunion tour at some point. I know Phil has expressed interest in it. I dont think Gabriel has any interest and quite honestly I dont care for his work with Genesis. I like alot of his solo work though.

I get all nostalgic thinking about those early 90s videos for no son of mine, jesus he knows me and I can't dance. Great songs! I bought that album and then the greatest hits. Don't know much about Gabriel's Genesis or even early Collins Genesis. I like both Collins and Gabriel though as artists. I don't know what the fuss is (in America) about Phil Collins esp., he is not considered very cool. :shrug:

Zootlesque said:
he is not considered very cool. :shrug:

No, he's not. While I'm not a big fan or anything, I don't downright despise the guy's music, either-I've heard much worse, personally. And he has had a few good songs ("In The Air Tonight" and "Another Day In Paradise" in particular come to mind). I do prefer Peter Gabriel's solo work overall, but I'm not going to go into convulsions or something if I hear a Phil Collins song on the radio.

Anywho, I haven't heard a single song from the days when Peter was fronting Genesis, just some from Phil's frontman days. But I don't mind the stuff I've heard. I remember seeing the video for "Land Of Confusion" all the time on MTV when I was little, and there's a funny family story attached to that video, so it holds good memories for me :).

Yeah. They're not that bad a group.

Angela

thier first , i heard , was kinda bad
haven't heard the second one ( nursery Crime ) some eople are saying it's quite good
have foxtrot , an awesome record , it takes a while , and i need a lyric sheet ( same to all pre 1980 genesis albums )

Suppers ready is an ultimate prog love song

selling england by the pound is
" even better then the real thing "
all songs are great
then goes the lamb lies down on broadway
great concept album , although second part
is a bit hard for me
well gabriel leaves for good ( excellent solo works )
trick of the tail follows , collins sounds awesome , single songs
Wind And Wuthering follows , pretty good
then steve hacket leaves , no more magic guitars
Duke is an awesome album
Abacab is the last record with prog roots
after that the band goes into pop
good songs mixed with awful stuff
talking about phil collins work , he has a very good first album
but after that he almost becomes barry manillow ,

I own pretty much everything genesis. I wasn't old enough to ever see them live, but I have caught two phil shows and peter's last tour. Gabriel is a genius who truly doesn't care what you think of his music. That helps and hurts him, as it takes quite a few spins to get albums like UP in your head. That said, his music rewards the dedicated listener like few can.

And yes, the early Genesis stuff is creepy like nobody's biz. That one costum of Peter's with all the cancerlike balls hanging off it (the slipperman?) is the stuff of nightmares.

Peter Gabriel is one of the few musical geniuses who's music has a sense of digestablity next to complete difficulty. He is out there in a sense, but he has written some completely gorgeous songs. I think 'Us', is one of the most underrated albums ever.

A great example of his work, would be 'I Grieve' which is on 'Up' as most of you familiar with him know. But the first 3/4 of that song is haunting and gorgeous and the last segment it just gets crappy funk or something. Take the beautiful song 'In Your Eyes' as most people know, even those not familiar with PG much, on the album it's one of the best love songs ever, by just about anybody. But his live versions of that song completely ruin it for me, the hokey dancing, the musical arrangement, JEEZ! It's bad.

On the other hand, San Jacinto, live and on the album, but especially live, it's magic.

I love his music much more than I like Genesis, but I do appreciate Phil Collins before he totally mellowed out and decided to do show tunes or whatever. Good thread btw.

bump

Didn't know there were that many Genesis fans here! :D

Okay guys...what's your favorite Genesis music video? Tour?

Land of Confusion and the "Mama" tour for me, personally.

Whose your favorite band member? Phil for me, cause he does it all live and on studio records- drums AND vocals! What an accomplishment!

That's All...

well
tour - Duke sides live + abacab tour, during 1980-1982 period ,
phil had confidence , he became a great singer and composer
and they still were writing semi- proggresive stuff + some very good old and new songs

set-list :
Deep In The Motherlode 06:28
1.2 Dancing With The Moonlit Knight 01:48
1.3 The Carpet Crawlers 05:27
1.4 Squonk 07:17
1.5 One For The Vine 11:12
1.6 Story Of Albert 03:49
1.7 Behind The Lines 07:25
1.8 Duchess 04:37
1.9 Guide Vocal 01:24
1.10 Turn It On Again 04:39
1.11 Duke’s Travels / Duke's End 09:07
2.1 Say It's Alright Joe 12:35
2.2 The Lady Lies 06:09
2.3 Ripples
2.4 In The Cage 08:39
2.5 Afterglow 04:33
2.6 Follow You, Follow Me 04:16
2.7 Dance On A Volcano 05:28
2.8 Los Endos 07:09
2.9 I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) 09:40
Total Running Time : 2:06:41

mama tour was also great
well mama itself ,
home by the sea
it's gonna get better
and In The bloody cage

:wink: :drool: :wink:

Fav Genesis video of those I've seen will HAVE TO be Jesus He Knows Me. Funny! :up:

U2DMfan: Peter Gabriel IS quite a unique artist. I love Red Rain, Sledgehammer, That Voice Again and parts of So & Us. Those videos from Us take me back on a nostalgia trip. But like I said, I don't know anything about the original Genesis.

By the way, are they still together? Last I know, Ray Wilson (I think) was singing for them... Congo was somewhat a hit.

Fuck what is cool. I saw Phil live a fair few years ago, and it was one of the best shows ever. Sticking strictly to socially acceptable music limits you incredibly, I reckon.

No Zooleseque, the band broke up permantently in 1998. Ray left to pursue solo projects, and so did Mike and Tony. Sad thing, really. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom