Any fans of "The Porcupine Tree" on this board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bono_man2002 said:
Collapse the Light Into Earth :drool::drool::drool::drool:

I'll second that.

:drool:

I'm kind of going through each album that I come across. I'm on In Absentia now, and while I've only listened to it once, it might be better than Deadwing. There are several songs on here that are amazing, including Trains, The Sound Of Muzak, and of course, the one mentioned above.

The local music shop has quite a few of the Digipak re-releases of the older albums, quite surprisingly. I think I'll spring for one or two this weekend...

Awesome news! :happy:

Roadrunner Records and Atlantic USA have officially announced the release of the new Porcupine Tree album "Fear of a Blank Planet" in mid April. The album features six (mostly lengthy) tracks, and is the band’s most ambitious and cohesive work to date. Much of it was debuted last year on tour to a rapturous response from fans.

The lyrical content of the song-cycle on the album is a 21st century cocktail of MTV, sex, prescription drugs, video games, the internet, terminal boredom, and subsequent escape.

More news and previews of the album to follow on this site.

I read a report elsewhere giving the precise release date as 16 April.

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

It's going to be a long three months' wait!

After how good Arriving Somewhere But Not Here is, bring on the lengthy stuff!

And, come on, PT's a prog band, what did you expect? :wink:

I agree with Axver - if these songs are anything like Arriving Somewhere, I say bring it on.

I've been on a total PT kick ever since I discovered this thread. I've bought no less than four albums in the last month - Deadwing, In Absentia, Stupid Dream, and Up The Downstair. Stupid Dream recently was reissued in the US, but you can imagine my surprise when I actually found it in my local music store. Sounds amazing.

I've listened to Lightbulb Sun, Recordings, and The Sky Moves Sideways as well via download. There are some strong songs on Lightbulb Sun, but overall I put it a notch below Stupid Dream. Recordings is interesting if only for the full version of Even Less, which is my favorite off of Stupid Dream.

In fact, Stupid Dream is probably the best of them all. I also think In Absentia is better than Deadwing; however, the best songs on Deadwing (Lazarus, Arriving Somewhere) are better than anything on In Absentia, so there you go.

I'm rambling now and probably make no sense whatsoever... :lol:

It's cool to discover a band and only have to wait a few months for a new album to come out. :drool:

lol @ a prog band making a Public Enemy reference in an album title

I like these guys, though. Not a big fan of the prog thing in general, but they've made some good stuff.

Heh, yeah, I noticed that too, XHendrix. Coming from Steven Wilson, though, it doesn't surprise me. The guy has pretty broad musical tastes. Under his own name, he occasionally issues CDs of covers of songs that he thinks are really well written - except he doesn't label it so that his prog snob fans don't instantly pre-judge it. He's covered artists such as Alanis Morrisette and Abba that way.

phanan said:
I agree with Axver - if these songs are anything like Arriving Somewhere, I say bring it on.

I believe the longest song is around the 17-18 minute mark. They were playing it live on their most recent tour and without fail, every report I read absolutely raved about it, claiming it as one of the band's best songs. I'm really excited to hear this track.

I've listened to Lightbulb Sun, Recordings, and The Sky Moves Sideways as well via download. There are some strong songs on Lightbulb Sun, but overall I put it a notch below Stupid Dream. Recordings is interesting if only for the full version of Even Less, which is my favorite off of Stupid Dream.

In fact, Stupid Dream is probably the best of them all.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about both Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream. The latter's my absolute favourite PT album, but Lightbulb Sun has some amazing tracks, especially The Rest Will Flow, one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard in my life. And credit to Recordings: Disappear and In Formaldehyde are great little tracks, and Buying New Soul is stunning. I also need to listen to The Sky Moves Sideways more - it's a favourite of mine but I just never get around to playing it much.

I also think In Absentia is better than Deadwing; however, the best songs on Deadwing (Lazarus, Arriving Somewhere) are better than anything on In Absentia, so there you go.

That's how I felt initially. After I'd been listening to both intensively for a month, Deadwing became my favourite of the two and has remained there. It's my second-favourite PT album.

Has anyone listened to Steve Wilson's side project, Blackfield? They have a second album coming out soon, and taking a listen to the songs on their myspace website, they sound pretty good.

phanan said:
Has anyone listened to Steve Wilson's side project, Blackfield? They have a second album coming out soon, and taking a listen to the songs on their myspace website, they sound pretty good.

Blackfield are AWESOME. They're one band I've found that need to be given time to grow on you. I initially didn't think all too much of the first Blackfield album, but it was one of those insidious ones that works its way into the back of your mind, and within a week, I was hooked on it. The second one initially underwhelmed me, but it grew even quicker - after about five listens, I was convinced it's better than the first album. Christenings in particular is an awesome song - it's actually originally a Deadwing sessions song that Steven wrote but the rest of PT rejected.

Aaaaand here's the official tracklisting from porcupinetree.com! One big track, the others are pretty standard length.

Originally posted on porcupinetree.com
Following two album playback events in New York and at Abbey Road in London, the track listing of the new Porcupine Tree album "Fear of a Blank Planet" has been revealed:

1. Fear of a Blank Planet (7.28)
2. My Ashes (5.07)
3. Anesthetize (17.42)
4. Sentimental (5.26)
5. Way Out of Here (7.37)
6. Sleep Together (7.28)

The album is set for April release through Roadrunner in Europe, Atlantic in the US, and WHD Entertainment in Japan. It's likely that both the stereo CD and 5.1 surround sound DVDA will be packaged together as standard.

Please note that a version of the album currently listed on several mail order sites in Japan with an additional track included in the running order, and supposedly coming out in March, categorically does not exist, so do not order it!

Steven, you're British, so why did you spell 'Anaesthetise' wrong? I'm OK with the -ize suffix as the Oxford dictionary has had that on a level pegging with -ise for British English since the mid-nineties, but no 'ae'? :mad:

Interesting cover...

albumart.jpg

Oooh, I like it.

It's eerily close to some of the submissions in a Photoshop competition on the Mike Portnoy forum! Every week or two, the posters there hold a competition, often humorous and in relation to Dream Theater, but the most recent one was to design a cover for Fear Of A Blank Planet as there is a huge crossover between Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree fans.

A couple of songs - the title track and Sleep Together - are floating around online as they were released to the street team of PT's label.

Sound quality isn't all that dynamic but very listenable.

The OOTS said:
New Porcupine Tree has leaked!!!

...for those interested.

Hmm, seem to be some interesting torrents floating around, but none that are a direct rip from the CD with a hiss-less copy of Anesthetize. Well, in any case, I'm on a torrent now that purports to be solely studio versions of the songs, which is better than the studio/live compilations that have been floating around ever since those two tracks were released to the street team.

I found it online, but you're correct, it doesn't seem to be a direct rip. The sound quality varies some tracks to others, and the person who did it couldn't even figure out how to title the album correctly.

Also, based on the times given by the official site, I wonder if these are final versions or not. For example, My Ashes is supposed to be 5:07 in length, yet the version I downloaded is about 30 seconds shorter.

I was actually going to start a new, clean thread for the album, but never got around to doing it.

A thread for the new album would probably be a good idea once the final version is out there. Considering how early albums leak these days, I'm really surprised FOABP still hasn't "properly" leaked.

Holy fucking shit, this leak is good stuff though.

Can't wait for a better quality CD rip.

Back
Top Bottom