Any DJs out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Numb1075

ONE love, blood, life
I wouldn't consider myself a DJ, but I have DJed in the past. You know the local pub DJ - spinning rock and roll, some old school rap etc.....

I haven't done it in a few years. When I used to do it, it would be the old fashion way - 2 CD decks w/ 2 volume controls and when one song would be ending you can lower the volume and raise the volume on track two.

Here's the question, is it possible to DJ using an IPod ? Now that I have over 1,000 CDs, I only need to bring like 200 to cover the needs of a typical Friday night bar situation. I feel like it's piontless to carry crates and crates of CDs w/ me and I don't feel like sorting through all of them because that's real time consuming.

Is there some sort of electronic device that I would need, what would I hook it up to etc?

I have the ITrip which allows me to play music on an FM stereo on blank stations. Would that help me?

Any info is much appreciated.

Could you make a playilst, hit play, and then party like a non-DJ while the music plays?

Or you can burn MP3s onto a CD. You can fit damn near 100 per disc. Then you can do the old school volume down/volue up technique.

The more important question is what color Kangol are you wearing to compliment the fat laces on your adidas, which, naturally, will match the adidas running suit?

I suppose I could just make a playlist and hit play, but what if there is a time gap when one song and and the other starts much lower? or when the first tune plays and then gets lower and lower to an inaudible level? then you're in a bar in silence.

Kanjol is black......RESPEKT

The iPod has a setting so that the songs flow right into each other, no gaps. Or do you mean like a slow fade, like after Release on the first Pearl Jam album? I don't know how to fix that. Maybe you can just manually click next? Give a little "Hands in the air" chant in the interim?

UberBeaver said:
The iPod has a setting so that the songs flow right into each other, no gaps.

Sorry for going off topic slightly, but really? Is this one of the newer iPods you have? One thing that always bugged me about my old b&w iPod (before it died) was that I couldn't figure out how to prevent it from inserting a gap between each song. I almost couldn't listen to certain albums because of it.

thanks for the info Beav. How do you do the "Ipod flow"?

the "Hands in the Air" chant always goes over well.

I think the setting is in iTunes actually. I don't have my iPod with me, but I think it's Edit --> Preference --> iPod. There might be a playback setting in here somewhere, and then it should say 1 sec or 2 seconds or no gap.

I hope I didn't just make that up. I'm 99.9% positive it can be adjusted.

GibsonGirl said:

Sorry for going off topic slightly, but really? Is this one of the newer iPods you have? One thing that always bugged me about my old b&w iPod (before it died) was that I couldn't figure out how to prevent it from inserting a gap between each song. I almost couldn't listen to certain albums because of it.
It's the 5th gen iPods and everything that comes out later, but yeah. If you select a whole album in iTunes now and look at the 'get info' tag info, there's a field for 'Gapless Album'. Seems to work okay6.

Canadiens1160 said:
If you select a whole album in iTunes now and look at the 'get info' tag info, there's a field for 'Gapless Album'. Seems to work okay6.

SERIOUSLY? I'm an idiot, I should have updated iTunes ages ago. I'm still on the 6.0.1 version and that option isn't there.

And thanks ÜberBeaver. I was thinking of getting a new iPod this Christmas. Now my mind is made up. :up:

PS: Numb, my cousin is a DJ. I'll send him an email and see what he thinks about the whole iPod DJing thing.

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
It's the 5th gen iPods and everything that comes out later, but yeah. If you select a whole album in iTunes now and look at the 'get info' tag info, there's a field for 'Gapless Album'. Seems to work okay6.

Yeah, that's a cool feature as well. It's real annoying, say, when you're listening to Dark Side of the Moon and "Money" to "Us and Them" and then Brain Damage / Eclipse are split. Annoys me on the Arcade Fire album. Loveless by My Bloody Valentine totally sounds wrong. I approve of the gapless album feature.

And your Canadiens beat my Islanders last night. And that makes me angry. WTF is your problem?

Sakuuuuu Koivuuuuu. Yeah, I believe gapless playback is limited to the 5th iPods with video; also the new Shuffles might be capable of it as well since they use flash-based memory instead of a hard drive.

It seems to work fine in the new iTunes 7.0.2 for just about any album. I still had iTunes join some tracks I ripped from CD as I want them to come up on shuffle as one whole track, such as:

The Beatles - Golden Slumbers - Carry That Weight - The End - Her Majesty
Pink Floyd - Brain Damage - Eclipse

Also appreciating the umlaut :drool:

Last edited:
iTunes 7 completely eclipses iTunes 6. I mean, how cool is the album cover view thing?

Cool. And FINALLY I can listen to bootlegs/Pink Floyd/Beatles/etc. without that annoying gap.

Oh shitz, it recognizes the MP3 player? I thought iTunes didn't recognize 3rd party MP3 players....hmm I might go buy a cheapie flash memory player then :ohmy:

I know, I know - I'm slowly filling out my Pink Floyd library.... I also like the fact that you can have folders in the lefthand pane now to sort crap as you've done.

Last edited:
OK, you can do the smooth fade out of songs. Go to preferences, playback. Find Crossfade Playback. You can set it up to 12 seconds which means that 12 seconds before the song ends it starts a slow fade. The next song will fade in over the fade out. Kinda cool.

Canadiens1160 said:

I know, I know - I'm slowly filling out my Pink Floyd library.... I also like the fact that you can have folders in the lefthand pane now to sort crap as you've done.

It's a good thing I still have your mailing address somewhere. Expect to have a very Floydian Christmas. :flirt: And yeah, it's great being able to organise your playlists and shit.

Does that fade-out thing work on iPods as well? I know it works on iTunes, but I wasn't aware it worked with the iPod as well. If so, even more reason to get a new iPod this Christmas! The crossfading thing is useful to have when you're listening to your playlist at random, and will obviously be good for Numb's DJing.

so, I would need to pick up another ipod, this gaget, and then ensure that the location has the necessary speakers etc.

and some sort of stereo i presume.....

Yeah basically you need

image1wv4.gif

Or alternatively just skip the two faders and use the iPod volume wheels to control the fade-in fade out - though it might be a bit rougher.

perfect. thank you kind sir.

what's the cost of the pre-amp faders nowadays? And that website for the dual ipod controllers never lsited a price....

iPod in honor and all, but you´re the first iPod DJ I see.

The only alternative to vinyl records is using laptops, quite a few DJs do it, ie. The Arabian Prince of the N.W.A. who uses both because he´s tired of carrying 500 vinyl records in his bag.

Imo you also need to adjust the crossfades manually, there´s no use in pre-programming a set and its crossfades because a DJ interacts with the people and realizes what they need to hear to keep them on the dancefloor.

Back
Top Bottom