Anti-Flag, Sell-outs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueyedpoet

Refugee
No....this punk band's first major label record is unbelievably great. I seriously recommend this album. If Green Day weren't about selling their logo on pj's and boxers maybe they could write an album this good.
Plus, the bass player is a U2 fan and they support the ONE campaign.

I saw them with Bad Religion and.....Minor Threat, I think? They were ok. His voice sounds like all the other pop-punk dudes out there, but the music was really good.

And who doesn't love getting civic responsibility lectures from 16 year olds?

pennywise's cover of "minor threat" throw you off? :der:

there are worse things that one could accuse anti-flag of doing, signing to a major label isn't too high on my list of unforgivable sins. i usually can't stand the band outside one song on the split they did with the bouncing souls, but i found the terror state to be quite listenable and the new one even more so. who cares if the cd has RCA or fat's logo on the back? most of the kids who claim oh noes, they sold out! have more corporate labels on their clothing while they're saying it :shrug:

Plus, the bass player is a U2 fan and they support the ONE campaign.

:| yeah, because that's totally a reason to like a band!

This thread is just asking for an all out argument on a definition of a "sell out", come on people, that punk thread went well! :) (no sarcasm intended)

I don't know much about anti-flag or all the other newer "punk" bands, so no comment! As long as the music's worth the price of admission, sign to any label you want.

I believe that there are bands who sell-out; I happen to disagree with lots of indie/punk sceners about what selling-out is. I tend to agree with Bono that selling-out is doing something you don't want to do and are uncomfortable doing for money and for record companies. However, I also reserve the right to consider any band who sells their logo on pjs and boxer briefs at Wal-Mart, Kohls, Target etc., a sell-out. In other words, Green Day didn't sell-out by signing onto a major label company; they sold out when they started selling their american idiot logo on stupid shit and shitty places.
I don't think U2 sold-out with the IPOD thing either. Had they accepted money, then yes, I'd be pissed. If they had sold Streets to that car company, I'd be pissed. They've always wanted to be big, and I don't have a problem with being big. I think, at times, they have compromised here and there; however, for the most part, they are a band with integrity.
Anti-Flag using a corporation's money to preach against corporations and capitalism is fantastic. Yes, they probably will make Sony some money, but I think the pros outweigh the cons.
The album is also amazing.

I don't see what the big deal is with being on a major label as oppossed to an indie, as long as the label isn't interfering with the music.

Exactly. I even have no problem with hearing songs in commercials (unless they're repeated ad nauseaum). Hell, I'd never have heard of Crowded House had it not been for those 100% New Zealand ads a few years ago.

Nope, I've loved Anti-Flag's music for a long time, and I could care less what label they're on as long as they're producing good, thoughtful music just like they always have.

i take back anything i may have said about for blood or europe being good, having now heard "hymn for the dead" or whatever it was called. track 5. that song sucked in ways i not thought possible. :|

IWasBored said:
i take back anything i may have said about for blood or europe being good, having now heard "hymn for the dead" or whatever it was called. track 5. that song sucked in ways i not thought possible. :|

Everyone I know, including adament anti Anti-Flag fans, love that song. It's powerful, touching, and uplifting. Unlike songs from some of their early albums, this song isn't just a "fuck you" government.

"In life now
pay respects to your blood
Those in the vast of the great unknown
unite there,
your heart's one
in moments you'll never forget."

Those who have died, especially from the evils of the human race, unite with our hearts when we remember them. How beautifully, metaphysically moving is that?

blueyedpoet said:

Everyone I know, including adament anti Anti-Flag fans, love that song. It's powerful, touching, and uplifting. Unlike songs from some of their early albums, this song isn't just a "fuck you" government.

"In life now
pay respects to your blood
Those in the vast of the great unknown
unite there,
your heart's one
in moments you'll never forget."

Those who have died, especially from the evils of the human race, unite with our hearts when we remember them. How beautifully, metaphysically moving is that?

it's whiney. that's actually my #1 problem with anti-flag. can't stand the vocals. but that sounds shallow, you know. i've got to ramble on ad nauseum about their politics to make myself sound substantial.

I understand if you don't like Justin Sane's vocals. They sometimes do have a Dashboard-like quality. And, if you feel that's a bit whiny, that's ok. My tastes then happen to differ in this respect (obviously we both like U2).
I can also understand if you think that some songs on their first couple of albums were all about complaining. But, I really feel like they're not just angry anymore, they're actually trying to do something. They're really pushing people to write to congress to support a bill in the House to investigate the effects of Depleted Uranium. They inspire people, like my girlfriend, to not accept poverty and to move, progress etc.
It's no longer just Fuck Police Brutality rather it's yeah, Fuck Police Brutality, let's do something about it.

Back
Top Bottom