Another NFL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No spoken words said:

And, agreed, stop with the whining Baltimore, good lord...if I lived there, I'd move too. Though, I do enjoy the Wire, which takes place in Baltimore.

I must say of all my Elevation tour GA lines, Baltimore was the filthiest and least enjoyable of all cities I'd sat in. Nevertheless I don't hate it, my parents met there, if not for it, I'd not be here. I started rooting for the Colts when they were still there.

My niece has been on the Wire a few times, playing bar patrons, once or twice she was a lesbian.

Hewson said:
Reid's playcalling is always 50/50, McNabb seeks glory and always audibles to high risk passes in obvious running downs just to try and make the one big play like he had against Dallas a few years back on MNF to see himself on Sportscenter the next day and hope for a shot at an Espy, and an increase in salary from Campbell's for Chunky Sirloin Burger ads.

Garcia on the other hand tries to execute the game plan at hand and wants to win.

Now that post really is inaccurate:

1) Reid's playcalling had consistently been 70-30 in favor of passing.

2) As a big Eagles fan, I can tell you that McNabb never audibiled much until this season. The few times he did generally resulted in audibles out of pass plays to run plays (though the run plays usually lost yards when he audibled into them).

McNabb is not in anyway the right QB for Philadelphia, but not because of selfishness or audibiling, because he isn't selfish and rarely audibles. It's because he's a big, strong arm with shaky accuracy in a system called the West Coast Offense. Garcia is a WCO QB in every way.

The biggest change wasn't at QB, it was the playcalling. It completely turned around once Morninwheg took over. Again, as an experienced viewer of the Andy Reid Era, I can tell you this for certain.

Headache, did you remember all of that off the top of your head?

BTW, rooting for the Pats and the.... Colts! I hate Coach Billick.

U2Kitten said:

It may have been because of Baltimore's whining that the league did what they did with the Browns. But that special exception really wasn't fair to Houston. The Oilers are essentially a dead team, though reincarnated as the Titans. But the Ravens are still technically the Browns, the ones with the history. The new Browns are the new puppy, but not the same dog.

no. legaly speaking, the browns are the browns and the ravens are the ravens. it's happened before in nfl history. heck... if you want to use that logic, the eagles are technicaly the steelers and the steelers are technicaly the eagles.

why are the oilers dead but the ravens are still the browns? because one of them is from one of your 50 favorite teams used to be from? you're not being very consistant here.

baltimore has a team, indianapolis has a team, cleveland has a team. :shrug: history is in memories, history is in the uniform, history is not in the roster. it's not like bernie kosar went to baltimore, or another legendary browns player. the browns sucked when they left. soooo what's changed? they still suck.

players change, owners change... but the team is still the team. cleveland fought to keep those rights, and they still have them.

all team records for the baltimore ravens began their first season in baltimore. cleveland browns team records, retired uniforms, etc. belong only to the cleveland browns.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

all team records for the baltimore ravens began their first season in baltimore. cleveland browns team records, retired uniforms, etc. belong only to the cleveland browns.

I know, but if the Titans are the Oilers then the Ravens are the Browns. And the Colts are originally the defunct Dallas Texans.

I know they made a special case of it for Cleveland, but I am tired of Baltimore fans whining about their lost team and hating the Colts for leaving when technically they took someone else's team too. (not talking about this site but others I go to and the Ravens talk show on my cable)

Headache, that's cheating! I remembered all of that stuff on my own, man!

I can't wait for this weekend's playoff games! Even though my Giants are out of it, I still watch of course.

Go Eskimos!

Headache in a Suitcase said:

-Dallas Texans: operated out of Hershey, PA for the last five games of the 1952 season, playing their last three games in Akron, OH. Franchise folded after season's end and players awarded to new Baltimore Colts franchise in 1953

Wikipedia :tsk:

The Colts first exsisted as the Miami Seahawks, and moved to Baltimore and changed their name to the Colts. Some time in the 50s, they were dissolved by the league. The league (see how the NFL is always behind these moves) moved the Dallas franchise to baltimore (probably in the middle of the night with a Mayflower moving van).

Other great NHL moves: Kansas City Scouts move to Denver and become the Colorado Rockies. The Rockies move to NJ and become the Devils.

The Gund Brothers spilt up their Cleveland Barons and merge them into the Minnesota North Stars. A few years later, the North stars spin off the San Jose Sharks (I believe).

Baltimore 36 - Indianapolis 14
My entire justification for this score is based on Baltimore's offense and Peyton Manning at quarterback in a playoff game. Indy doesn't stand a chance, unless somehow it turns into a field goal battle.

Philadelphia 24 - New Orleans 23
This will be another nailbiter for Eagles fans, but I think Philly can pull out another one. The only question is if the defense plays like it did against Romo's Cowboys on Christmas or against Eli's Giants last week.

Chicago 17 - Seattle 14
I can't believe Chicago will actually lose this game at home, but I think it will be the result of an abysmally bad game for both teams. I'm going to avoid watching this one, I think. :huh:

San Diego 31 - New England 28
This will probably be the game of the playoffs. I know taking Schottenheimer over Brady/Belichick is against all rational judgment when picking playoff winners, but the difference lies in two letters - LT. New England won't be able to stop Ladainain Tomlinson and Dillon/Maroney won't be able to keep up in the end.

3-1 to date.

:up:

The Saints will murder the Eagles. I've been looking at the matchup all week. Rod Hood absolutely sucks. Him against the Saints receivers? Saints score over 30 with ease.

Baltimore 23 Indy 17

Manning on the road in a playoff game against a dominating defense. Nuff said

Saints 30 Philly 20

Too much offense, Sheppard is out. One Cinderella story comes to an end, the other continues. Eagles to join the Giants on the Golf course. Assuming Coughlin lets them out to play during the off-season. Bwahahaha!!!!!!

Chicago 9 Seattle 10

Only because the 4 home teams rarely win, and Grossman is so up and down. Seahawks secondary is decimated; the resistible morce meets the movable object

San Diego 34 New England 16

Marty wins playoff games about 1/3 of the time, this will be one, before crashing next week. Assuming LT and Rivers are both healthy (they were both hurt last game of the year) they should take this fairly handily after Rivers has an Eli-esque first half baffled by the New England defense.

If the Bears lose the game tomorrow (and I don't believe they will) it won't be because of Rex Grossman. I'm much more concerned about the defense.

Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson will be key. The Bears need to stick to their run game. I have confidence that they will.

I find it hilarious that fans in cities with teams are crying about the one they lost. Christ Baltimore, ya got a new team & won the damn Superbowl...meanwhile Raleigh, NC has my hockey team, got a Cup out of it, and we're never ever getting another one, because Gary Bettman is evil.

Pats need to be able to run the ball, have some long drives, and keep LT & Co. off the field.

And Merriman should stay off the juice, it's effecting his brain.

StlElevation said:
lets go whalers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh wait

:lol: Whats funny is the last NHL game I saw was when I was a kid and my family lived in Colorado.

Colorado Rockies versus the Hartford Whalers. Gordie Howe was playing for the Whalers (he was old and was there for name only). Cant see that game now! I puck flew into the crowd and landed at my feet in that game. I still have it, has the old Rockies logo on it.

One of my very good friends is from Chicago and is a diehard Bears fan. While he doesnt care for Grossman he is really concerned about the defense more than anything. What I can't figure out is why Lovie didnt at least try to play Griese this year as a starter. Maybe the Green Bay game? Maybe he isnt the guy, but how do you know unless you try it? Cant be much if any worse than Grossman has looked this year. I think Griese has more leadership qualities than Grossman. "I was distracted because it was New Years Eve." ????? What the hell is that? Isn't he suppose to be a professional athlete?

[rex apologist]

Okay, here's my take on what Rex said after the Green Bay game: Rex made the NYE excuse up b/c he didn't want to admit that he is just plain old bad. Like not capable of stringing a series of good games together bad. I think he's lost some confidence in himself. (rightfully so, in my opinion.)

[/rex apologist]

toscano said:

Manning on the road in a playoff game against a dominating defense. Nuff said

:eyebrow:

Bring on the excuses for the Ravens....just like the excuses for the Chiefs last week!

?they didn't show up?

Dan Dierdorf makes me want to pull eyelashes out. His voice is like nails on a blackboard only less enjoyable.

The Ravens sure sucked. Does this mean we have to listen to nothing but Peyton all this week?:barf:

Hey Baltimore, Indianapolis STILL owns the lease on your ass.

19 may always be greater than 18, but you know what? 15 is more than 6.

Thank you Colts.

Sincerely,
Browns fans

ljclary said:

The Ravens sure sucked. Does this mean we have to listen to nothing but Peyton all this week?:barf:

Nope, we'll be hearing about the Colts' resurgant defense. And if the Pats beat the Chargers, we'll be hearing the big Vinatieri vs. his old team storyline.

Wow, who ever would have thought it would happen like that? Total defense, both QB's sucking, and the Colts taking charge down the stretch with the running game as the Ravens look helplessly on. The Colts didn't beat the Ravens by playing like the Colts, they beat them by playing like the Ravens :huh:

I'll take it. Bring on the Pats! (who will beat the Chargers!) See you in the dome Brady! :tongue:

Don't forget...

originally posted by DaveC
Indy doesn't stand a chance, unless somehow it turns into a field goal battle.

Prognosticating prophecy of the day :ohmy:

Last edited:
ljclary said:
Dan Dierdorf makes me want to pull eyelashes out. His voice is like nails on a blackboard only less enjoyable.

yep they sure did! And I live in Maryland.. Not a ravens fan tho.

A guy at my work has been razzing me all week saying how the Ravens are gonna kick ass! :giggle: Now I get to harass him all next week!!! This is gonna be so much fun!! :evil: :D

>>>is a San Diego Chargers fan... Prays they win tomorrow!! It's gonna be a tough one tho.. :sigh:

While my prediction of the refs going one-sided was correct, that is not why the Eagles lost.

I intend to start the fireandyreidorwhoeverthehelliscallingtheeaglesplays.com website this week.

I think I just vomited in my mouth.

U2Kitten said:

I'll take it. Bring on the Pats! (who will beat the Chargers!) See you in the dome Brady! :tongue:

See you there, I'd love to beat Indy in the playoffs yet again. Manning is O-VER-RATED. Good thing you had Adam to save your asses when Peyton couldn't score a TD...traitor.

(I like friendly football trash talk almost more than I like football...no offense meant)

Pats over Saints for 4 out of 6.

what an awful game that colts/ravens game was...

peyton sucking and the colts winning anyway really is a scary thought... you'd have to think that the chargers or pats offense would be able to put up some points to capitalize on peyton sucking, but you'd have thought the chefs and ravens could do that, too.

could it finally be the year he gets over the hump?

naaaaaaah

Varitek said:

See you there, I'd love to beat Indy in the playoffs yet again. Manning is O-VER-RATED. Good thing you had Adam to save your asses when Peyton couldn't score a TD...traitor.

(I like friendly football trash talk almost more than I like football...no offense meant)

Pats over Saints for 4 out of 6.

pats need to beat the chargers first, bud...

how come everyone that leaves new england is a traitor? is JD drew a traitor to the dodgers 'cause he left? baffles me...

if the pats and colts met yet again, indy is clearly the better team, yet i'd still fully expect indy to choke... but you certainly are sounding very much like a yankee fan pre 2004 when you speak of how indy will never beat new england. it's true until it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom