"Another circlejerk Random I f*cked Lance's Mom in the brownie Movie discussion"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found The Fly on Bluray for 6 bucks today. I have a feeling that I won't keep it for very long, even if I think that it's Cronenberg's finest film.

Very hard to sit through.

No, I love Cronenberg. I just don't see myself having the desire to re-watch it.

Ah, I thought by "hard to sit through" you meant you didn't like it, not that it made you uncomfortable.

Has anyone here seen a film called Winter Kills? It's from the late 70's and stars Jeff Bridges as the younger brother of an assassinated president who uncovers a vast conspiracy behind it and puts his own life in jeopardy. Comparisons to the Kennedys are clearly intentional.

Anyway, very strange movie with a lot of twists and turns, photography by Vilmos FUCKING Zsigmond, and a cast that also includes Anthony Perkins, John Huston, Toshiro Mifune (as a butler!), Eli Wallach, Sterling Hayden, and a cameo by Liz Taylor. The writer-director William Richert isn't very well-known and didn't do much else, but he sure put together a great pedigree for this thing.

A nice 2-disc set came out five years ago unbeknownst to me and it's got some pretty cool extras. Well-worth the $5+shipping I paid for it.

Check out this sweet poster:

Winter_Kills_2.jpg

Yeah, I should've used different terminology there. I consider it to be his finest film, having seen that along with Videodrome, Scanners, eXistenZ, Eastern Promises, Naked Lunch, and A History of Violence. Really excited to see Dead Ringers and The Brood though.

That movie looks interesting, not available on Netflix though.

Yeah, I should've used different terminology there. I consider it to be his finest film, having seen that along with Videodrome, Scanners, eXistenZ, Eastern Promises, Naked Lunch, and A History of Violence. Really excited to see Dead Ringers and The Brood though.

I think I like The Fly the least out of all those films you listed, to be honest, with the exception of The Brood. Not as stylistic as most of the others.

Laz, I found a region free Blu player on Amazon for about 170. Don't know if you're looking to upgrade, but I thought you'd be interested:

I already bought one, remember? The Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo player?

FYI: Amazon UK has a 70% off sale on certain Blu-Ray right now. They're selling the whole four-hour Che set for 12 pounds! It ain't Criterion but it's a hell of a lot cheaper!

What's sad is that it came out all the way back in June and we've had to wait all this time.

They also have the director's cut of Almost Famous for 7 pounds, which is like $30 if you want the import through regular Amazon.

Fuck, also the full-length Red Cliff for 9 pounds. FUUUUCK.

Oh shit, totally forgot about the combo player. It's region-free, too?

I don't know about any near you, but FYE is going out of business in certain places around Orlando, and I was able to snag Die Hard on Blu for $8. Should be some deals to be found there, even if most of their stuff is exorbitantly expensive regular-priced.

I think The Fly is probably the best realization of his body-horror ideal, even if it's not as out there as something like Videodrome. It feels like a more complete film to me, at least.

Amazing deal on Almost Famous. I wonder why that hasn't seen a stateside release yet.

Found The Fly on Bluray for 6 bucks today. I have a feeling that I won't keep it for very long, even if I think that it's Cronenberg's finest film.

$6 is a high price to pay for incessant weeping.

RIP.

Oh shit, totally forgot about the combo player. It's region-free, too?

I don't know about any near you, but FYE is going out of business in certain places around Orlando, and I was able to snag Die Hard on Blu for $8. Should be some deals to be found there, even if most of their stuff is exorbitantly expensive regular-priced.

I think The Fly is probably the best realization of his body-horror ideal, even if it's not as out there as something like Videodrome. It feels like a more complete film to me, at least.

Amazing deal on Almost Famous. I wonder why that hasn't seen a stateside release yet.

Yeah it's region free as well.

And you're right about The Fly being the most complete or consise, I guess I just like him more when he's flying off the rails. I think his obsession with the human body reached its apex with eXistenZ, which for me shares the top spot with Videodrome.

1.33.1... the size... of a tangerine.

Hunger's coming from Criterion soon. Can't wait.

Forgot to bring this up, but I finally watched The Godfather for the first time. I know, it shouldn't have taken me so long.

There's not a lot to say that hasn't already been repeated over and over for the last 40 years. Of course it's great. And the BD treatment was fantastic.

There's not a lot to say that hasn't already been repeated over and over for the last 40 years. Of course it's great. And the BD treatment was fantastic.

You've never, in your entire time here on the interwebz, said/written anything that wasn't entirely redundant and useless, but you're going to become coy over The Godfather?

I know it was you, Imperor. You broke my heart.

He only watched the first one, and you're quoting the sequel.

Now who's ridiculous?

GoodFellas and Once Upon A Time In America are both better.

It's called a teaser, you two bit bastard. Like when your mom brought a man home and you would ask, "Who's that mommy?" And she'd say, "Your father!" And little Laz's eyes would light up and she cackle and say, "Kidding! I have no idea who your father is ..."

Teaser.

Like when your mom brought a man home and you would ask, "Who's that mommy?" And she'd say, "Your father!" And little Laz's eyes would light up and she cackle and say, "Kidding! I have no idea who your father is ..."

I'm usually not offended by things people say, but, Ouch. That one is hitting a little too close to home for me. :( Bitch used to pull that shit every Christmas eve. No wonder I hate Christmas.

Anyway....Don't bother watching Godfather III. There's really no point.

It's worth it to hear Andy Garcia say "Zaza!" and ride away on horseback.

Well, I'll get around to watching the second one sometime this week, since the whole "searching for work" thing is looking like a complete failure.

How in the hell does one find a job?

Sorry, a legitimate job.

Trust me, if I could turn to organized crime, it would have happened already.

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about that either.

What kind of job are you looking for?

Anything. Seriously, with the way things are now, just about anything will work. I don't really have a set career path at this point, so I just need to make ends meet in the meantime. 25K would be a nice place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom