Amnesiac vs. Kid A: Song by song TO THE DEATH!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeattleVertigo said:
How's everybody picking How To Disappear over You and Whose Army? Army is one of the most beautiful songs Radiohead has written. Completely transports me to another place. What a haunting song.

:tsk:

even Thom said HTDC is the most beautiful thing they ever did :drool: :drool:

namkcuR said:
But YAWA is brilliant all the way through. It is haunting. It is just more engaging, imo.

Definitely more engaging politically. There's a maturity there that's carried over to more outspoken material about world events. I like that a lot.

xaviMF22 said:

even Thom said HTDC is the most beautiful thing they ever did :drool: :drool:

He could be right. I'd put it right alongside Exit Music in that category. Good tears. :sad:

how to disappear completely does nothing for me.

on the other hand, you and whose army? is tha jam! best part is "you forget so easy . . . " followed by the guitar kicking in and the song transitioning from off-kilter ditty to eerie singalong. "ghost horses" just gives me chills.

what's up with everyone choosing in limbo over dollars & cents? admittedly this is a tough choice for me too, but the groovetastic bassline gives d&c the edge.

Radiohead songs more beautiful than How To Disappear Completely:

Pyramid Song
Fake Plastic Trees
High and Dry
Bulletproof [wish I was]
Street Spirit [fade out]
Motion Picture Soundtrack
Let Down
Karma Police
No Surprises
Scatterbrain
A Wolf At the Door (that chorus!)

like Bono, Yorke is clearly not the best judge of his own work.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But Radiohead have admitted that a lot of Amnesiac is just left over from Kid A... I would agree with the b-sides argument.

wow. that goes against everything they've ever said. all the songs for both albums were recorded at the very same time.

if you think amnesiac is lesser in quality, then fine. but the songs are definitely not left overs.

lazarus said:

Pyramid Song
Fake Plastic Trees
High and Dry
Bulletproof [wish I was]
Street Spirit [fade out]
Let Down
Karma Police
No Surprises
Scatterbrain

uh, then neither are you.

because this list is most definitely dodgy at best... as there's no possible way that scatterbrain, high and dry and no surprises are better than how to disappear completely.

the rest are suspect too, but these three? no... just no.

this isn't up for debate or based on personal preference. this is truth.

Zoomerang96 said:

wow. that goes against everything they've ever said. all the songs for both albums were recorded at the very same time.

if you think amnesiac is lesser in quality, then fine. but the songs are definitely not left overs.

Actually, your statement defies your very point. If they were recorded during the same sessions, but released at a later date, would that not make them leftovers by definition?

Zoomerang96 said:

They went in to record ONE album, they recorded MOST of the Amnesiac songs during that session. They weren't released on Kid A. So how are those not left over? They ended up recording a few more in order to make Amnesiac at a different date. How is what I said not true?

to me it implies that the best of the lot were selected for kid a, and the "leftovers" were relegated for amnesiac.

that's what i read into it anyway.

it's been said by ed, and i'm quite certain on frequent occassions no less, that some of the songs that ended up on amnesiac simply didn't "fit" into the mould of kid a.

i guess i'm just being overprotective of amnesiac. in my mind it's too often overlooked as being nothing more than kid a leftovers, as if it's almost a b-sides project.

Zoomerang96 said:
to me it implies that the best of the lot were selected for kid a, and the "leftovers" were relegated for amnesiac.

it's been said by ed, and i'm quite certain on frequent occassions no less, that some of the songs that ended up on amnesiac simply didn't "fit" into the mould of kid a.

i guess i'm just being overprotective of amnesiac. in my mind it's too often overlooked as being nothing more than kid a leftovers, as if it's almost a b-sides project.

No, the only thing I was implying is that Kid A is a cohesive album, whereas Amnesiac has some good songs, but it sounds like a collection rather than an album. And though I really like some of the songs, it's far inferior in my opinion.

Zoomerang96 said:

Not only Ed....but the band have indeed said that :up:

lazarus said:

Pyramid Song
Fake Plastic Trees
High and Dry
Bulletproof [wish I was]
Street Spirit [fade out]
Let Down
Karma Police
No Surprises
Scatterbrain

out of that List

I'd say Let Down is more beautiful than HTDC :shrug:

scatterbrain ?

high & dry?

AWATD?

:wink:

Last edited:
lazarus said:

Fake Plastic Trees
High and Dry
Bulletproof [wish I was]
Street Spirit [fade out]

Those songs bore me to tears personally, while How To Disappear never fails to excite.

How amazing is that curious litle ringing (keyboard?) sound about 3 mins in that floats in and out. Can't put my finger on what it sounds like. It sounds like something frantically gathering or reaching a peak, but then falling falling apart or falling by the wayside, and then rejuvenating again. It's such a seemingly trivial and random, yet exhillarating, element to the song.

you guyz are crazy, this whole thing is madness I tell you. MADNESS!!

still, I'll play along:

1. Everything in Its Right Place vs. Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box

Winner: Everything In Its Right Place

2. Kid A vs. Pyramid Song

Winner: Pyramid Song

3. The National Anthem vs. Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors

Winner: The National Anthem

4. How to Disappear Completely vs. You and Whose Army

Winner: How to Disappear Completely

5. Treefingers vs. Like Spinning Plates

Winner: Like Spinning Plates

6. Optimistic vs. Knives Out

Winner: Optimistic

7. In Limbo vs. Dollars and Cents

Winner: In Limbo

8. Idioteque vs. I Might Be Wrong

Winner: I Might Be Wrong

9. Morning Bell vs. Morning Bell/Amnesiac

Winner: Morning Bell

10. Motion Picture Soundtrack vs. Life in a Glass House

Winner: Motion Picture Soundtrack

Kid A: 7
Amnesiac: 3

These type of comparisons don't work IMO because when you stack them up song vs song Kid A wins yet I enjoy Amnesiac more as a complete album... :shrug:

Zoomerang96 said:

Exactly, they're just in a different mood compared to Kid A. If Kid A / Amnesiac were released as one double album, it would've been Radiohead's magnum opus.

Back
Top Bottom