Amnesiac Is An Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my... I'm constantly discovering new things about Amnesiac as I peel all the layers and really listen to these songs several times...

Like Spinning Plates is apparently I Will (unreleased Radiohead song???) backwards! The whole track is supported by a backwards guitar rhythm!!! :drool:

This album is definitely a grower compared to Kid A. And ever song is fucking genius! Every song is gold... yes, even Life In A Glass House.

Best band this side of the Beatles. period.

ok ok... just an opinion, don't kill me. :wink:

Last edited:
If you can get past the indie veneer, Amnesiac will grow on you more, and you'll become more emotionally attached to it than Kid A. There is nothing on Kid A more poweful than Pyramid Song or Life in a Glass House. I'd personally make the case for a couple others, but those two shouldn't even be debatable.

I'm still waiting for someone to agree with me that Amnesiac's Morning Bell is superior, but I've had no takers yet...

"Release me...release me..." so beautiful.

i think they're better than the beatles.

but of course, that's only my opinion and it doesn't really make a difference what i think.

at the end of the day, there's no better band. though when it comes to musical genius, if bss would really put their minds to it, i bet they could even surpass them...

lazarus said:

I'm still waiting for someone to agree with me that Amnesiac's Morning Bell is superior, but I've had no takers yet...

Ive always liked Amneisacs morning bell over Kid A's.

Radiohead kills the Beatles for best band, but they havent passed the greatest band ever------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- U2

Zoomerang96 said:

at the end of the day, there's no better band.

That whole argument about music being subjective kinda gets to me sometimes, even though I myself say it all the time. If music is reaallly subjective, then why do we dis Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Linkin Park etc.? Of course, I'm making a generalization by saying 'we'. But I guess it works in levels but not within each level. :huh:

Zootlesque said:

Like Spinning Plates is apparently I Will (unreleased Radiohead song???) backwards! The whole track is supported by a backwards guitar rhythm!!! :drool:

I will is on Hail to the thief

xaviMF22 said:

I will is on Hail to the thief

I HAVE to get Hail. I'm really really loving Amnesiac right now! It's grown on me so much since my last review! Here's an updated song by song one, just in case you were curious... ;)

Packt Like Sardines
I love how it opens "after years of waiting, nothing came" and that bass! :drool: The keyboard tones are really cool too. Has definitely grown on me though. I'm a reasonable man, get off, get off, get off my case, get off my case... :drool:

Pyramid Song
Absolutely :love:d this from the start! Beautiful lush movie theme like piano. A moon full of stars and astral cars.... :drool:

Pulk/Pull
Love those video game like/elevator? sounds! And this is one overtly experimental track that ISN'T short! You know, you'd think for being the weirdest track they ever made, they'd play it safe and keep it short like say.. Pearl Jam's Pry To. But it's actually over 4 minutes or something long. Despite having very little lyrics, they've done a great job in really spacing them out with lots of effects and beats. It never gets boring till it's over.

You And Whose Army
Pink Floyd's More was the first thought in my mind when I first listened to this one! maybe because of that desolate (delicate?) intro??? Love the minimalism in this track! We riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide toniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! :drool:

I Might Be Wrong
From the opening twang to the last beat, this is sheer rhythmic bliss!!! :heart: Could hardly understand or even hear the lyrics on the first few listens. Love the false ending and the guitar bridge that follows!

to be contd. ;)

Last edited:
Knives Out
Probably one of their best sing-along tracks? Love the guitar throughout! Some pretty out-there lyrics! So knives out...Cook him up..Squash his head..Put him in the pot...... :ohmy:

Amnesiac/Morning Bell
Nice alternative version to the Kid A original. Very auditorium like.. almost like a live version! I think I still prefer the one in Kid A. And what a great song... one of their best!

Dollars and Cents
I like the vocals here. Haven't really gotten into this one as much as the others but it's good. I like it.

Hunting Bears
Radiohead doing neo classical/experimental jazz? :heart: it!!! Smoother than the finest lounge music! Smoother than the finest whiskey... a description that I once read in association with U2's Velvet Dress. :wink:

Like Spinning Plates
Wow!!! I mean wow! Backward vocals sung forward over a backwards guitar loop of a totally different song??? Not only is this pure fucking genius, it's a heart wrenching song too! esp. the lovely IMBW live version with the unbelievable piano!

Life In A Glass House
More jazz! :ohmy: This was a grower but I love it now!

Well of course I'd like to sit around and chat
But someone's listening in.

Bloody Brilliant!

There... that's my 2 cents. :wink:

My favorites are Pyramid Song, You And Whose Army, Knives Out, Like Spinning Plates, and Life In A Glass House.

Get Hail now :)

Ignore those who tell you it's not good. It's great.

I'm not a big fan of this post-modern notion that nothing is better/worse than anything else. On that playing field Kenny G = Brittney Spears = Radiohead = Mozart = Neil Finn = The Beatles = 50 Cent = INXS = Kelly Clarkson. Unlike most people I have no problems with X vs Y (as distinct from X&Y :wink: ) threads, so long as people put foward actual evidence to back up what they are saying and it isn't just spewing typical elitist talking points.

On Radiohead vs The Beatles... Lets just say I would probably reach for a Radiohead CD. But their is no doubting they are both great bands (allbiet chronically over rated by critics IMO)

timothius said:
(as distinct from X&Y :wink: )

:hyper:

Well in other news, along with my U2 vinyl spree, I finally bought I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings.

Let's just say the :drool: was flooding my truck when I popped it into the cd player.

inmyplace13 said:

Well in other news, along with my U2 vinyl spree, I finally bought I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings.

Let's just say the :drool: was flooding my truck when I popped it into the cd player.

I really, really hate that EP. It was a great tour and everything and I loved seeing them live, but I think it's one of the most artificial, incoherent, jumbled "live albums" I've ever heard. I think it lacks any sense of flow, pacing, and even audio quality. Great songs. Great band. Great shows. Terrible motherfucking EP.

But at least it's got a semi-rousing version of "True Love Waits"...though I'll gladly take the bootleg of the show I got to see it live at, any day.

If you shout... said:

I really, really hate that EP. It was a great tour and everything and I loved seeing them live, but I think it's one of the most artificial, incoherent, jumbled "live albums" I've ever heard. I think it lacks any sense of flow, pacing, and even audio quality. Great songs. Great band. Great shows. Terrible motherfucking EP.

But at least it's got a semi-rousing version of "True Love Waits"...though I'll gladly take the bootleg of the show I got to see it live at, any day.

Oh man!!! Not even Like Spinning Plates??? :shocked:

That EP has the best version of the song! Even though I do like the freaked out backwards album version, that piano is just :drool: And I really like that version of Idioteque too. Very energetic vocals and sing along crowd chants! :heart:

Zootlesque said:

Oh man!!! Not even Like Spinning Plates??? :shocked:

That EP has the best version of the song! Even though I do like the freaked out backwards album version, that piano is just :drool: And I really like that version of Idioteque too. Very energetic vocals and sing along crowd chants! :heart:

Don't get me wrong--the song owns, live. Just trust me when I say that the "real" live version didn't sound anywhere near as hollow, cold, and soul-less as the one on I Might Be Wrong. If I'd not seen the band, then perhaps I would really enjoy this EP as a nice little document of the best band in the world conquering the world on tour...but I did and I don't. I haven't listened to this EP even in part in at least two years. And I'm that much better for it.

Again, I'm not raggin' on anybody for liking it--the shows WERE great! I guess I just got deflowered by seeing the tour and I just can't go back to the person I was, beforehand...?

Or something like that. Trust me. If you think that THIS is Radiohead live, then you're horribly, horribly mistaken. But keep listening and try to see them next year--you'll be so floored that you won't know what the fuck is what, no more!

If you shout... said:

If you think that THIS is Radiohead live, then you're horribly, horribly mistaken. But keep listening and try to see them next year--you'll be so floored that you won't know what the fuck is what, no more!

btw, you really think that Radiohead is the best band in the world? :wink:

Like Spinning Plates [ALBUM VERSION] cannot be beaten. I enjoyed the live one at first but then I ended up thinking, "Hang on this is actually crap"...I cannot get enough of the reversed keyboards on the studio one.

Back
Top Bottom