American Idol-Season 7 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As joyfulgirl said in the last thread, it was Jason's night :up:

And why do these people not pay attention to the song choice :banghead: Didn't care for Brooke's version of "You've Got A Friend" :yawn: And Syesha is alright, but don't ever pick a song by powerhouses (like Whitney, Mariah,...). Fantasia owned that song, and it's one of those you just don't cover. :tsk:

You've Got A Friend is an incredibly powerful song, but WTF was that crap Brooke pulled tonight? Her pitch was AWFUL. David A was completely and totally overrated by the judges. I know they've been pimping him the entire season, but how can you overlook so many vocal screw-ups? And what the hell was David Cook's performance? The chorus was alright, but the rest was crap, which is weird coming from him.

Honestly, no one really blew me away tonight. Then again, I missed Michael Johns' performance, who rarely lets me down.

New Thread!!!!

I agree with whoever it was earlier that said it will be Syesha, Carly, and Brooke in the bottom 3.

And if one of those 3 singers is gone before Kristy.....

Well, whatever, I really did like Kristy's performance and thought it was her best so far so I guess she'd deserve to stay.

:shrug:

Bono on Idol tonight? YES!!!

American Idol-The Top Eight Perform

This week we’ll be overdosing on American Idol. Tuesday night is performance night, Wednesday night is “Idol Gives Back” and on Thursday we’ll be given the results. Can we handle all the excitement? Speaking of excitement, this week’s theme is “inspiration.” I have an uneasy feeling about this.

Michael is up first. He sings Aerosmith’s “Dream On.” Yes, nothing says “inspiration” like a 1970s drugged out of his skull Steven Tyler. I really like Michael’s performance last week, but this week? Hmm, I’m not feeling it. Michael’s voice sounds good (except for the unfortunate falsetto at the end), but I feel he’s playing rock star rather than actually being one. I notice that he’s wearing an ascot again. And is he growing a mullet? An ascot and a mullet? I guess Michael will be having tea and crumpets with some Jerry Springer guests after the show.

Before Syesha sings she gives us the “Ramiele Report,” which is a lot more interesting that her actual performance. Syesha sings Fantasia’s “I Believe.” What? No Whitney? It’s usually not a good choice to sing a notable song by an Idol winner. Syesha has a beautiful voice, but she’s all technique, no soul and conviction. What makes Fantasia such a good performer is how she digs down deep to really feel the song. With Syesha, I feel we’ve seen performers like her a million times. She’s not unique, but a glory note at the end might get her some votes.

Jason sings the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole version of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” The ukulele could be a gimmicky prop, but it really works with this version of the song. Jason sings this song beautifully, and it’s really touching in its simplicity. In fact, I would have liked to hear Jason sing this without the band. What I liked about his performance is he actually seemed to take it seriously without being all, “Dude...” I can actually imagine this song being on a future Jason CD.

What? Kristy Lee isn’t going to sing “Amazing Grace” again? I thought that was her safety song. Instead Kristy Lee sings Martina McBride’s “Anyway.” Yep, this is my cue to go to the bathroom. However the judges like her performance. I’m not surprised because she’s this season’s country singer. She’s kind of a low-rent Carrie Underwood, if Carrie Underwood had nearly zilch talent.

Our Lady Peace is one of David C’s favorite bands so he sings their song “Innocent.” Hmm, I’ve been a fan of David’s for quite a while but I wasn’t a fan of this performance. David’s voice didn’t sound so hot and I felt that his performance was way too bombastic. I wonder what it would have been like if he would have taken it down a few notches. And though I like the idea of giving back, I wonder if David writing “Give Back” on his hand might come across as way too pretentious. But at least he can take criticism like an adult without having a huge puss on his face or smarting off to the judges.

Carly sings Queen’s “The Show Must Go On.” Actually, I think the show can stop right now. I’m just not feeling tonight’s performances. Carly usually sings well but she seemed to lack control during her performance and she came across totally pissed-off. Plus she is so desperate when she performs that it makes me uncomfortable. This is the week of inspiration, not perspiration. Don’t let them see you sweat, Carly.

David A sings “Angels” by British pop star Robbie Williams. Apparently this song was a hit everywhere but the United States. David plays the piano and sings perfectly fine, but it’s such a dull song with some very clichéd lyrics. In other words, “Angels” is the perfect AI coronation song. But being the chosen one, David will sail into next week. Grandmas and tweeners will be relentless in voting.

Brooke always gave me a low-key, folky Carole King vibe so it’s fitting that she sings Ms. King’s “You’ve Got a Friend.” Brooke sounds fairly decent and bonds well with the lyrics. Brooke does a passable job, which isn’t saying much on a night like this. I do have one question. Why is Brooke wearing the same dress my mother wore back in 1965 when she was doing the Twist at the Peppermint Lounge?

Wow, this night was the dullest of the dull. The only thing it inspired me to do was check my watch and stifle my yawns. I expected better, and it really seemed like most of the contestants were resting on their laurels. I hope they amp it up next week. However, I have a question. Did anyone think that guy hanging out at the judges’ table mid-show was Kenny G? Just me? Okay.

The more I hear it, the more I realize that the way Jason sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is the way it's meant to be sung. Judy Garland will always be the definitive singer of the song, and she'll never be touched. Though their versions were vastly different, she and Jason both sang it with a vulnerability and wistfulness that the lyrics require. Nearly every cover version I've heard wants to power-shout and glory note their way through it, and they ruin it. Jason sang it beautifully

U2isthebest said:
The more I hear it, the more I realize that the way Jason sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is the way it's meant to be sung.

If you've never heard the original by Israel Kamakawiwo Ole, it's beautiful. My favorite local radio station (well it was my favorite before they went to the awful canned DJ free format) used to play that all the time, that's how I first heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2Jt4WOxN8

I loved that and David A. I thought David Cook was awful, bad song choice and performance. Just my opinion. Didn't like Carly either.

Poll: 'Idol' fans see Archuleta winning
As field narrows, survey also finds David Cook considered most talented
Reuters
updated 3:19 p.m. ET, Tues., April. 8, 2008

LOS ANGELES - “American Idol” fans say baby-faced crooner David Archuleta will win the No. 1 television show’s current competition, even though they picked rival David Cook as the most talented performer, an E-Poll/Reuters survey found.

As the top-rated U.S. TV talent show entered one of its most-watched weeks when it hopes to raise $100 million for charity on its “Idol Gives Back” program, fans were showing plenty of love for the two Davids.

Archuleta, a 17-year-old native of Utah, was voted the likely winner by 40 percent of “Idol” viewers polled, according to the survey by E-Poll Market Research on behalf of Reuters.

Anointed the man to beat by judge Simon Cowell after he sang John Lennon’s “Imagine” in February, Archuleta tied rocker Cook as the one whom viewers wanted to win, with both getting 25 percent of the vote.

But Cook, 25, who has reworked 1980s dance hits such as Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” and Lionel Richie’s “Hello” into edgy, slow-burning rock songs, topped Archuleta 31 percent to 27 percent when it came to proving his talent beyond just singing.

Irish-born belter Carly Smithson was ranked third most talented followed by folksy Brooke White, Aussie Michael Johns, dreadlock-sporting Jason Castro, country girl Kristy Lee Cook and Syesha Mercado.

Past winners such as Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, and even those who didn’t win such as Clay Aiken and Chris Daughtry, have gone on to successful music careers.

“American Idol” draws nearly 30 million viewers, making it the most-watched program on U.S. television. This season’s winner will be announced during a live finale in May.

The survey, which was conducted last week, polled roughly 1,100 respondents ages 13 and over who, perhaps surprisingly, had good things to say about razor-tongued Cowell.

Even though his No. 1 trait is “rude” according to E-Poll’s E-Score Celebrity data, Cowell was chosen by 64 percent of respondents as their favorite judge.

His fellow judges Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul each received about 17 percent of the “favorite” vote.

Some 85 percent of those polled said “American Idol” would be worse without Cowell, and 75 percent considered him to be the judge with the greatest influence over the way the public votes. Jackson followed with 13 percent and Abdul at 12.

But a large majority, 83 percent, said the judges had little or no impact on the their own votes.

MrsSpringsteen said:

If you've never heard the original by Israel Kamakawiwo Ole, it's beautiful. My favorite local radio station (well it was my favorite before they went to the awful canned DJ free format) used to play that all the time, that's how I first heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2Jt4WOxN8

I loved that and David A. I thought David Cook was awful, bad song choice and performance. Just my opinion. Didn't like Carly either.

That was great. I think it was wise of them to make sure they put it out there that he was doing someone else's version of the song, so he wouldn't get the David Cook treatment and accused of "stealing" it.

Golightly Grrl said:
American Idol-The Top Eight Perform

Wow, this night was the dullest of the dull. The only thing it inspired me to do was check my watch and stifle my yawns. I expected better, and it really seemed like most of the contestants were resting on their laurels. I hope they amp it up next week. However, I have a question. Did anyone think that guy hanging out at the judges’ table mid-show was Kenny G? Just me? Okay.

Spot on. Boring, boring, boring. I'd like to see them do what they did last year for IGB week and not bounce anybody, since really everybody crapped out and somebody's just going to draw the short straw.

Michael - OK, forgettable. Michael has been doing well lately and this was a letdown.

Syesha - Everyone seems down on her and I don't know why (though I can guess). It's a singing competition and she's a good singer, why is that apparently enough for the bland Brooke and David A, but not for Syesha? Didn't like the gratuitious high note at the end though...yeah we know you can hit that but it seemed forced in, like some of Blake's beatboxing last year.

Jason - Jesus, will the psuedo-sensitive saccharine-sweet schmaltz ever end? Apparently not, as everyone but me is greedily lapping it up. I heard that and had the urge to either a) toss a nickel in somebody's basket or b) watch 50 First Dates.

Kristy Lee - Well at the very least this performance put to rest any comparison with Sanjaya. I don't love her style, but the girl can sing...nice to see the really biting criticism of her tapering off.

David C - Wasn't feeling this, at all. As much as I pick on him about the arrangements I actually generally enjoy David Cook...but not tonight. Just all over the place.

Carly - Oh Carly, why? I really like Carly, a lot, and I didn't hate her performance last night, but I bet some people did. I hope it doesn't knock her out. I kind of dig angry Carly, she's got some edge to her that's not "put on" like Amanda for example. I even liked her little primeval yawp during the chorus...I might actually buy her CD. I could also see her being smart enough to "punt" the competition now that she's gotten this far in exchange for more creative liberty. Just a gut feeling.

David A - Everyone assumes he's going to win, and I'm hoping that one of these weeks that assumption dents his vote totals and he gets bounced. Good singer, but boring boring boring every week. Just no substance whatsoever.

Brooke - I like Brooke and this performance was OK. Sometimes I wonder what's going on with the judges...Brooke IMO is as consistent as anybody. She's very good every week, she doesn't screw up, and she plays it somewhat safe in general...yet one week they'll love her, and not so much the next. Maybe they're just as bored as me?

Oh my goodness Paula's dress!!! I generally DVR Idol and start it a bit late so I can FF through the ads and random fluff, so I didn't start watching until Michael started singing. Well then Randy talked, and they panned right to Paula, and I did a double-take because "oh my God she's naked!!!". Then they showed them from the back and I saw the dress. But wow. And BTW Paula really sucks as a judge (I know, duh). But I'll tell you why. Simon IMO is generally pretty fair, Randy flips a coin but I deal with it...but Paula? Paula will go the entire show saying something positive about everybody now matter how hard they suck, but then along comes one singer per night that she'll be negative about. Now if you have a judge that sucks up to everybody, and she criticizes one performer, how bad does that look? Just a horrible judge.

I only watched bits and pieces of last night - I found myself overwhelmed by a sense of not caring very much. I doubt I'll watch tonight, either.

Meh.

corianderstem said:
I only watched bits and pieces of last night - I found myself overwhelmed by a sense of not caring very much. I doubt I'll watch tonight, either.

Meh.

Not watch tonight???

But...but how could that be possible??? How could you not watch an episode of American Idol featuring both Bono and Carrie Underwood? :wink:

Another taped message from Bono going "blah blah blah blah Africa .... justice blah blah peace sign"? I'm not in the mood. :wink:

I did laugh last night watching Kristy Lee sing (she was one of the few singers I caught, lucky me) - people in the last thread were calling her out on her utter lack of charisma.

Carrie Underwood had a distinct lack of charisma as well, and things turned out pretty well for her. :wink:

I thought Kristy Lee did well last night. She wasn't perfect, but she knows her niche and should be sitting comfortably tonight. I liked her shiny gold top a lot, too, I must say. She looked very nice.

Did they make any mention of tonight's show as far as eliminations? Didn't they end up not eliminating anyone last year on the Idol Gives Back night? ... and then send two packing the next week?

I wonder if they're doing that. I definitely wouldn't watch if I knew no one was getting the boot. I'll count on ya'll to spoil me again!

corianderstem said:

Did they make any mention of tonight's show as far as eliminations?

The eliminations are moved to Thursday night so as not to put a downer on all the fund-raising fun of tonight's show.

corianderstem said:
Another taped message from Bono going "blah blah blah blah Africa .... justice blah blah peace sign"? I'm not in the mood. :wink:

:up:

Bono has become the most boring personality ever! What a change from that crazy Mirrorball man stuff!

GirlsAloudFan said:
The eliminations are moved to Thursday night so as not to put a downer on all the fund-raising fun of tonight's show.

Cool - I'll tune in (or spoil myself) then. Thanks!

Zootlesque said:

:up:

Bono has become the most boring personality ever! What a change from that crazy Mirrorball man stuff!

I still love U2 and look forward to the next album/tour, but I find I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in what Bono does or thinks about anything non U2-music related. :reject:

It's not that I don't care, it's just that it's pretty predictable at this point and I don't feel the burning need to see him anytime he's on TV anymore.

At least until the new album comes out. :wink:

I bought the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole version of "SOTR" on iTunes this morning (and pre-ordered Jason's studio version), and it shot up to 14 on their top 100 over night. I realized when I listened to it from the beginning that I've been searching everywhere for this song for over a year, not knowing what it even was. It's been in those Rice Krispies, Childhood is Calling commercials, but only the beginning falsetto "oohhh's" There was something about it, even without lyrics or knowing what the song was, that I loved. So, I'm eternally greatful to Jason for unknowingly helping me find this gorgeous version of this song:love:

Last edited:
BTW, Paula's dress last night? I have no words. I was honestly expecting the whole lot to fall out and traumatize the fundies and small children. It was very distracting.

U2isthebest said:

Btw, what did you think off my future husband, Jason, last night?

Very, very nice. Two good weeks in a row for him, I say. Not sure how long this shtick can last him, but I've liked the guy from the start.

LemonMelon said:

Very, very nice. Two good weeks in a row for him, I say. Not sure how long this shtick can last him, but I've liked the guy from the start.

I love him more and more every week now. I've heard some of the songs he's written on Youtube and some other random sites, and I would buy an album of his in a heartbeat.

U2isthebest said:

I love him more and more every week now. I've heard some of the songs he's written on Youtube and some other random sites, and I would buy an album of his in a heartbeat.

Are you his friend on myspace? :wink:

Aww, that sucks. They must figure that it could slant the votes.

I wanted Michael Johns to be my pal. :(

Back
Top Bottom