American Idol 6 - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spoiler alert! (song choices)

Jordin Sparks - “Wishing on a Star” by Rose Royce (Simon's pick)
"I Who Have Nothing" (hers, from British Invasion Night)

Blake Lewis - "Roxanne" by The Police (Paula's pick)

Melinda Doolittle - "I Believe in You & Me" by Whitney (Randy's pick)

Not sure about these choices. I think Blake has a chance to hit a home run w/Roxanne, or he could really blow it. Vocally it might be out of his range, but he could really do something with his creativity. Jordin is singing ballads so she'll sail through to the finals. And how exactly can Randy make Melinda sing Whitney when every time somebody picks a "diva" song he gives us some variation of "nobody can sing Whitney/Chaka/Christina/Celine like Whitney/Chaka/Christina/Celine"?

I wish I could hear LaKisha sing J-Hud's song from Dreamgirls one more time... :(

I saw the spoilers a few days ago, and I was uncertain of Randy's pick for Melinda too, being a Whitney Houston song and all. Can't wait to hear Blake's version of Roxanne!

I do believe we get to see Elliott Yamin perform tomorrow night!

did anyone else see the 3 on Jay Leno last night?

they all seem genuinaly nice and thrilled to be on. They all said the do not read anything that is said about them anymore...Melinda said she had read on the boards that her looks had been compared to "Shrek"
:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

clip from Tonight Show:
http://teamplaid.com/blake-lewis-melinda-doolittle-and-jordin-sparks-on-the-tonight-show.htm

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

Blake Lewis:

Paula Abdul chose ”Roxanne” by the Police.
Blakes personal choice is a song by Maroon 5 (according to a friend)
Clives choice for Blake is a song by Robin Thicke (according to a friend)

Jordin Sparks:

Simon Cowell chose Jordin Sparks’ “Wishing on a Star” by Rose Royce.
Jordin told classmates at her homecoming that her personal song choice would be a reprise of “I Who Have Nothing”–her song pick for British Invasion night.

Melinda Doolittle:

Randy Jackson chose “I Believe in You and Me” by Whitney Houston.
Clive Davis chose a Tina Turner song.
Rumored performance order:

Jordin Sparks
Blake Lewis
Melinda Doolittle

:shifty:
For tomorrow night’s results show, Elliott Yamin will perform “Wait For You” and Maroon 5 performs “Makes Me Wonder.” Leona Lewis (she won Simon Cowell’s British show X-Factor) who was originally slated to perform, but word is she recently came down with tonsillitis.

Okay so it turns out Jordin didn't even know the song. And yet she acted like she was happy about the pick when it was announced in Arizona on that stage. Why are these people so fake??? :huh:

You're watching American Idol, where people are trying to be pop stars. She's 17. Why would you expect her to be anything but excited and pleasant about anything that's announced to her in front of a crowd?

Would you rather she roll her eyes? Announce to the crowd of expectant people that she doesn't know it?

Cut her some slack, man.

Last edited:
:lol: I'm not saying she should roll her eyes or make a pout face cos she doesn't know the song. But at least don't pretend like you know the song and are overjoyed that it's been picked! Cos that's just outright faking it, nothing else. I see a lot of faking going on, on this show. But again, this is American Idol. My expectations should be pretty low.

Zoot, do you even LIKE this show? I'm not sure why you're watching. You expect sincerity, good music, and ... uh ... nonselloutting or something.

I mean, DUDE. It's American Idol!

:wink:

Yeah I know. Why am I even watching, right? I don't know... cos it's dumb entertainment for a weeknight... or something like that?

Wow, all three were really, really good tonight.

:lol: at the clip of Blake and Sir Mix-A-Lot in Seattle! That ruled.

I'm half horrified at that Robin Thicke song he sang that sampled "A Fifth of Beethoven" ... and the other half of me wants to go download it now.

I'm so glad Jordin picked "I Who Have Nothing" - that was the first time on the show where I just loved her. That song is such a great pick for her voice. So, so good.

I was a little surprised at the uber-praise for Melinda's Whitney song ... I could have sworn she had a couple of bum notes in there. But oh well ... crown all the three finalists as great contestants on this ridiculous (and ridiculously entertaining) show.

I think all three did well but the show was sooooo boring...I just want this season over already!!

However Blake was alot better than I thought he was going to be...:wink:

Zootlesque said:
Okay so it turns out Jordin didn't even know the song. And yet she acted like she was happy about the pick when it was announced in Arizona on that stage. Why are these people so fake??? :huh:

That struck me as odd as well, I thought that she must have really liked the song to have reacted the way she did. I was surprised to hear she didn't even know the song. :shrug:

Blake was awesome. Yes, Melinda and Jordin are better singers...but I prefer Blake. I look forward to his performances the most.

AI Recaps-May 15th
The Top 3 Perform

3 contestants, 3 songs, and 3 voting numbers to give our dialing and texting fingers a workout. It’s time for Melinda, Jordin, and Blake to prove why they are in the top 3, and not waste our precious time.

As mentioned, the thrilling three have to sing three songs each-a song picked by one of the judges, a producer-picked song, and a song they choose all on their own. What? Our Dread Lord, Clive Davis couldn’t make it from his mansion in the bowels of hell to pick three songs for our contestants to sing? I guess he was too busy trying to convince Kelly Clarkson to totally scrap her latest album. But onto the performances…

Judges’ Picks

Jordin (Wishing on a Star)-Simon says, “Jordin, sing this Rose Royce song.” So Jordin does, but I’m not really getting into it. I thought it started very weak, and only gained some momentum towards the end. Considering she’s in the top 3, Jordin should have grabbed me right away. She didn’t. But considering she’s the “chosen one” by some of the judges, I’m not surprised she gets a huge tongue bath from Randy and Paula. Jordin has done better in the past, and she can do better. I’m glad she has two more songs.

Blake (Roxanne)-When I heard Paula had chosen this iconic Police song for Blake to sing, I cringed a wee bit. But this didn’t turn out to be the huge trainwreck I thought it was going to be. “Roxanne” has a strong rock/reggae vibe, which suits Blake’s style. Blake doesn’t have the best voice, but he is entertaining. Of course, he can’t help but be compared to the original. That’s inevitable. However, I don’t think he was so horrible, that Sting will stop trying to save the rain forests to smack Blake upside the head with a lute.

Melinda (I Believe in You and Me)-After years of telling contestants not to tackle a Whitney Houston song, Randy tells Melinda to tackle a Whitney Houston song. Of course, Randy just has to brag that he worked with Whitney. Well, so has the crack dealer down the street, so get over yourself, dawg! But how did Mindy Do, well, do? Wonderfully, as usual. I loved how soft and subtle her voice was in the beginning. It’s warm and nuance really drew me into the song. Melinda shows great range, a wonderful performance.

Producers’ Picks

Jordin (She Works Hard for the Money)-Jordin says her favorite song is Hanson’s “MMMBop,” but we’re supposed to be forgiving because Jordin is only 17-years-old. Well, I can forgive her favorite song (“MMMBop was mighty catchy in the summer of 1997), but I can’t forgive Jordin’ bland take on this Donna Summer classic. It was too pageant-y, and um, Jordin, you’re supposed to work hard for the money, and not phone it in. For someone so young, she sure lacks oomph during this performance. The judges must be watching a different performance.

Blake (This Love)-Blake claims if a movie is ever made of his life it would be called “Organized Chaos” and Jim Carrey would play him. Actually, I think Blake looks a bit like actor Steve Zahn, but I digress. A Maroon 5 song is an excellent choice for Blake. I liked his energy and enthusiasm. He definitely had fun on the stage, but his less than stellar vocals may hinder him. Well, he does have the beat boxing down pat.

Melinda (Nutbush City Limits)-Melinda loves her mama, and let’s us know that she is her idol. All together now, “Awwww….” But what about her performance? For quite a while, I’ve wanted Melinda to try a Tina Turner song. When Melinda rocks out, I get a Tina vibe from her. I was hoping she’d sing “River Deep, Mountain High,” but “Nutbush City Limits” will do. I loved Melinda’s performance, so raw and sexy! This girl can change musical genres so effortlessly. I’ve never seen her out of her element.

Okay, now Ryan is acting a bit loopy, and Simon asks him if he’s drunk. What is up with Simon and his quest to find out if people are inebriated or not? Speaking of being inebriated, this is my chance to pour myself a glass of wine.

Contestants’ Pick

Jordin (I, Who Have Nothing)-Jordin blew me away when she sang this song on “British Invasion” night. Finally, we get another great performance out of Jordin. I got goose bumps and chills ran up and down my spine. She connected with the lyrics and her voice sounded tremendous. This was a very smart song choice, but what if she had chosen to sing “MMMBop?”

Blake (When I Get You Alone)-This Robin Thicke song never fails to make me want to move, and I was definitely boppin’ in my seat during Blake’s performance. Blake made a smart song choice. The song worked for his voice, the beat boxing was a fun element, and all in all, it was a very entertaining performance. He takes risks and has fun.

Melinda (I’m a WOMAN)-I get a feeling I’m going to cry when I see Melinda’s home town visit. But onto the performance…I was kind of hoping Melinda would choose a song I hadn’t heard her perform before. I love it when Mindy Do surprises me. But this was a top performance from her, and I liked how she worked it with the back up singers. Hey, she used to be one! Melinda has gained more confidence as the show has progressed, and it’s showing in her performances. I wish I had a record label so I could sign up someone like Melinda. And I’d like to think I’m much more easier on the eyes than Clive Davis.

All in all, performance night wasn’t a huge trainwreck. Though I wasn’t thrilled with all of the performances (namely, Jordin’s), I didn’t find any of them cringe-worthy. Right now it’s up in the air which contestant will get voted off. What are your predictions?

Last edited:
Daddysgonnapay said:
did anyone else see the 3 on Jay Leno last night?

they all seem genuinaly nice and thrilled to be on. They all said the do not read anything that is said about them anymore...Melinda said she had read on the boards that her looks had been compared to "Shrek"
:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I saw them on Leno. I think it's great that Melinda can have such a good sense of humor about things. It would definitely hurt my feelings if people said i looked like shrek. :(

So, last night was the first week out of all 6 seasons that I actually made a conscious choice NOT to watch the show. I popped in a movie instead and it felt really good. This season is SO boring and I knew I could just read the recap here and know exactly what happened. And it's exactly like I thought.

Sounds like Melinda had a good night. I was originally thinking that she would get the boot tonight, but now I'm thinking maybe Jordin... or even Blake. Of those two, I hope it's Jordin, because i think the competition needs Blake for originality. He's still boring me to tears though. :yawn:

Golightly Grrl said:
AI Recaps-May 15th
The Top 3 Perform

3 contestants, 3 songs, and 3 voting numbers to give our dialing and texting fingers a workout. It’s time for Melinda, Jordin, and Blake to prove why they are in the top 3, and not waste our precious time.

As mentioned, the thrilling three have to sing three songs each-a song picked by one of the judges, a producer-picked song, and a song they choose all on their own. What? Our Dread Lord, Clive Davis couldn’t make it from his mansion in the bowels of hell to pick three songs for our contestants to sing? I guess he was too busy trying to convince Kelly Clarkson to totally scrap her latest album. But onto the performances…

Judges’ Picks

Jordin (Wishing on a Star)-Simon says, “Jordin, sing this Rose Royce song.” So Jordin does, but I’m not really getting into it. I thought it started very weak, and only gained some momentum towards the end. Considering she’s in the top 3, Jordin should have grabbed me right away. She didn’t. But considering she’s the “chosen one” by some of the judges, I’m not surprised she gets a huge tongue bath from Randy and Paula. Jordin has done better in the past, and she can do better. I’m glad she has two more songs.

Blake (Roxanne)-When I heard Paula had chosen this iconic Police song for Blake to sing, I cringed a wee bit. But this didn’t turn out to be the huge trainwreck I thought it was going to be. “Roxanne” has a strong rock/reggae vibe, which suits Blake’s style. Blake doesn’t have the best voice, but he is entertaining. Of course, he can’t help but be compared to the original. That’s inevitable. However, I don’t think he was so horrible, that Sting will stop trying to save the rain forests to smack Blake upside the head with a lute.

Melinda (I Believe in You and Me)-After years of telling contestants not to tackle a Whitney Houston song, Randy tells Melinda to tackle a Whitney Houston song. Of course, Randy just has to brag that he worked with Whitney. Well, so has the crack dealer down the street, so get over yourself, dawg! But how did Mindy Do, well, do? Wonderfully, as usual. I loved how soft and subtle her voice was in the beginning. It’s warm and nuance really drew me into the song. Melinda shows great range, a wonderful performance.

Producers’ Picks

Jordin (Works Hard for the Money)-Jordin says her favorite song is Hanson’s “MMMBop,” but we’re supposed to be forgiving because Jordin is only 17-years-old. Well, I can forgive her favorite song (“MMMBop was mighty catchy in the summer of 1997), but I can’t forgive Jordin’ bland take on this Donna Summer classic. It was too pageant-y, and um, Jordin, you’re supposed to work hard for the money, and not phone it in. For someone so young, she sure lacks oomph during this performance. The judges must be watching a different performance.

Blake (This Love)-Blake claims if a movie is ever made of his life it would be called “Organized Chaos” and Jim Carrey would play him. Actually, I think Blake looks a bit like actor Steve Zahn, but I digress. A Maroon 5 song is an excellent choice for Blake. I liked his energy and enthusiasm. He definitely had fun on the stage, but his less than stellar vocals may hinder him. Well, he does have the beat boxing down pat.

Melinda (Nutbush City Limits)-Melinda loves her mama, and let’s us know that she is her idol. All together now, “Awwww….” But what about her performance? For quite a while, I’ve wanted Melinda to try a Tina Turner song. When Melinda rocks out, I get a Tina vibe from her. I was hoping she’d sing “River Deep, Mountain High,” but “Nutbush City Limits” will do. I loved Melinda’s performance, so raw and sexy! This girl can change musical genres so effortlessly. I’ve never seen her out of her element.

Okay, now Ryan is acting a bit loopy, and Simon asks him if he’s drunk. What is up with Simon and his quest to find out if people are inebriated or not? Speaking of being inebriated, this is my chance to pour myself a glass of wine.

Contestants’ Pick

Jordin (I, Who Have Nothing)-Jordin blew me away when she sang this song on “British Invasion” night. Finally, we get another great performance out of Jordin. I got goose bumps and chills ran up and down my spine. She connected with the lyrics and her voice sounded tremendous. This was a very smart song choice, but what if she had chosen to sing “MMMBop?”

Blake (When I Get You Alone)-This Robin Thicke song never fails to make me want to move, and I was definitely boppin’ in my seat during Blake’s performance. Blake made a smart song choice. The song worked for his voice, the beat boxing was a fun element, and all in all, it was a very entertaining performance. He takes risks and has fun.

Melinda (I’m a WOMAN)-I get a feeling I’m going to cry when I see Melinda’s home town visit. But onto the performance…I was kind of hoping Melinda would choose a song I hadn’t heard her perform before. I love it when Mindy Do surprises me. But this was a top performance from her, and I liked how she worked it with the back up singers. Hey, she used to be one! Melinda has gained more confidence as the show has progressed, and it’s showing in her performances. I wish I had a record label so I could sign up someone like Melinda. And I’d like to think I’m much more easier on the eyes than Clive Davis.

All in all, performance night wasn’t a huge trainwreck. Though I wasn’t thrilled with all of the performances (namely, Jordin’s), I didn’t find any of them cringe-worthy. Right now it’s up in the air which contestant will get voted off. What are your predictions?

Brilliant recap, as always!:bow: :rockon: I have a strange feeling, (well maybe not that strange:wink:) that Blake is somehow going to end up splitting the vote and that Jordin and Melinda are going to be getting the big Idol kiss-off. If that's the case, I hope it's Jordin. She's got a good voice, but she's got a long way to go for me. Melinda and Blake have a lot more staying power for me.

I just read an interesting tidbit online. Apparently, for every season of Idol so far, when it's down to the final three, the contestant who sings first has ALWAYS been the next one to get booted.

Could this bode poorly for Jordin? Or are the producers aware of this so-called curse and are trying to shake it, confident that she'll survive to the finals?

:hmm:

I won't be surprised or disappointed by anyone getting booted tonight. Any one of them could go.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jordin go. I don't know what it is about her, I think she's a great singer, yet she's never stood out to me. :shrug:

i think we're in for a twist.

i think everyone thinks Melinda's got it, so she might not get the votes she needs.

and then it's Blake vs. Jordin, and the 11 year olds will have to choose: the "safe" cute boy (with a devilish side only *you* know) you'd like to lose your virginity to after the senior prom, or the rockin' poppin' fun and happy sister you want to be (or at least stand in solidarity with).

Golightly Grrl said:
AI Recaps-May 15th

Melinda (I Believe in You and Me)-After years of telling contestants not to tackle a Whitney Houston song, Randy tells Melinda to tackle a Whitney Houston song. Of course, Randy just has to brag that he worked with Whitney. Well, so has the crack dealer down the street, so get over yourself, dawg! But how did Mindy Do, well, do? Wonderfully, as usual. I loved how soft and subtle her voice was in the beginning.

:lol: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the crack dealer down the street!! HAHAHA

from mjsbigblog:

TV Week Interview with Nigel Lythgoe: He thinks Jordin Sparks should be the next American Idol

-Nigel says he thinks it was the best Top 3 that they’ve ever had, and, “The most talent they’ve had on that stage in a long time.”
-While Nigel was careful to spread the praise around evenly he said that the two females could split the vote to leave a male in the race.
-He thinks Jordin Sparks should be the next American Idol and was a little disturbed at Simon’s critical attitude toward her last night.
-Initially, the Maroon 5 song did not get cleared. Nigel claims they relented when Blake called them up personally to ask permission to sing the song.

About Round One–Judges Pick, “”Maroon 5,” we didn’t think we’d get it cleared, to be honest with you, and we suggested it, but then, we couldn’t get it cleared, and Blake actually called them up and said, ‘hey, can I sing your song?’ And they very kindly said, ‘Absolutely, Blake.’ We were delighted. I thought he acquitted himself very well, I wasn’t a fan of Roxanne as a song, I think he did it OK. For me it’s like 3 words at most–’Roxanne’ then ‘You don’t have to turn the light on’ insert Chuck’s sycophantic laugh here That’s it. He did that OK. I agree in the first round, I think that Jordin did her song pretty well, I thought Melinda as Simon rightly said, won the first round. I thought she was tremendous in that first round of judging.”

About the second round, “I think the second round was a tie. I wasn’t knocked out with Jordin. We chose the song…and it was OK. I think “Nutbush City Limits” by Melinda was fabulous, and I think Blake’s Maroon 5 was probably the best of that round for me. me: yes, it’s not a typo–Nigel contradicts himself in the same sentence.

About the Third Round, “I totally disagreed with Simon. For me, I thought Jordin was absolutely superb in that round. I’m not interested if the song is 60 years old or not, It’s about her singing, and I thought she was just the best she’s been in a long time. I think it’s the second time she’s sung the song, it’s the best she’s ever sung it. Blake, I thought, acquitted himself brilliantly. Beethoven would probably be turning in his grave, but using that sort of Robin Thicke arrangement of Beethoven’s 5th was tremendous. And I didn’t really like Melinda’s song, “I’m a Woman.” To me, that’s an old-fashioned song. me: wait, I thought that didn’t matter? I just think she’s better than that. It’s a bit sort of, cabaret for me. All in all, I think Blake was probably the best across the board for his level of talent. But, for me, Melinda and Jordin are both vocally more talented than Blake. However, I think that it’s possible because there are two girls, it may split the female vote, and you’re always going to have a vote for the male. me: Maybe? You know the results by now, Nigel, you tell us. It’s going to be an interesting result.”

Chuck asks if age makes a difference, “I don’t know, you know at the end of the day, you say you are searching for an American Idol and then I think you’ve got to put your own point of view forward as to what an American Idol is, or could be.”

Has there ever been a 17 year old on the show who is as talented as Jordin? me: What? Jordin is only 17?!? OMG !!1!11! “I look at Paris and Lisa Tucker, and then I look at Jordin, and I say Jordin takes the biscuit for me. She’s the one who’s got everything. It’s a sad thing that we keep talking about age in this. me: No, it’s an annoying thing. It’s vocal ability and she’s got everything, still young and learning. For me, Jordin is the ideal person to become the next American Idol, if I were voting.” Nigel adds, “I was a little sad in the first round when Simon said ‘You sang that brilliantly, I didn’t like the arrangement, so it wasn’t one of your best performances.’ me: wow, could there be a little dissension amongst the ranks here? We shouldn’t be judging her on the arrangement of the song, we should be judging on how she sings. So, he seemed to have a little downer on Jordin tonight. I don’t know why, I thought she was great.”

:|

Lila64 said:
Beethoven would probably be turning in his grave, but using that sort of Robin Thicke arrangement of Beethoven’s 5th was tremendous.

Uh, please tell that dude that Robin Thicke didn't do the arrangement of Beethoven's 5th. It was some 70s disco dude. Robin Thicke's song uses that whole song as a sample. :|

Back
Top Bottom