American Idol 6 - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is the first episode of Idol I have watched
without having to shock myself with electrical wires
to stay awake

6_JB-Blank.jpg

Last edited:
PlaTheGreat said:
Whatever happened to the fun '80s night?
Or the current Billboard hits night?
Songs of your birth year?

They should have Reggaeton night :drool:

It was a bit dull tonight, that's for sure. But there are so many Barry Gibb/Bee Gees songs they could have chosen. Part of it tonight was still song choice. I mean who the heck knew Blake's song. In a way, you can't ruin it or be compared to anyone else, like singing 'Staying Alive' that everyone knows and nothing will compare to the original (in a sense).

:|

Wow. Just...wow. As good as Bon Jovi night was, Bee Gees night was that bad. I mean, Jordin was pretty good (I thought the judges were harsh on her re: her 2nd song). Melinda was kinda dull. LaKisha was OK I guess. Blake sang some song I never heard of...I mean, what the hell?

Agreed they need to re-think the themes. 80s night & birth year night were cool in the past. I think it would be cool to have a "Secret Santa" type night where eveybody picks a song for somebody else...I mean, how funny/cool would that be?

Seriously though, not sure about reggaeton (picturing a bunch of Daddy Yankee covers) but a reggae night could be cool. I suppose it would end up as Bob Marley night because half of the Idols wouldn't know anybody else, but even a Bob Marley night might be fun. I'm sure part of it is the artists don't want to be associated with AI...I mean, Bob Dylan night could work but Bob would probably rather be set afire than have a AI night. Ditto a REM night, or a U2 night. I don't mind the single artist nights so much, but the artist needs to have some relevance. That's why Bon Jovi worked and Bee Gees didn't.

So I guess the bottom 2 is Blake & LaKisha?

God that was terrible. I mean seriously who else can sing the Bee Gees unless you are a Bee Gee? Lame choice NIgel lame!!!

Major Snoozefest last night!

I think the bottom two will be Melinda and Lakisha, with Lakisha going home. Blake may have sucked, but he has a HUGE fan base and he's the only male left so he will get all of the girlie votes.

me thinks lakisha or blake will go home. daisy thinks its lakisha. we shall see...

Really bad night. Jordin's first song was good. That's about it.

Blake...what were you thinking??

Everyone should be way better at this point. I don't even know if I'll finish the season it's so dull.

AI Recaps-May 8th
The Top 4 Perform

Last week, we said “bye-bye” to Phil and Chris. Now we have the final four, Melinda, Blake, LaKisha, and Jordin. On performance night they sing songs made famous by Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees. Which of our Idol hopefuls will keep “Stayin’ Alive” and give us “Night Fever?” Which one will just be “Jive Talkin?” And will one contestant’s performance be a “Tragedy?”

Actually, I’m looking forward to the performances. The final four aren’t quite as cringe-worthy as we may have expected when this dog and pony show started months ago. I really like everyone in this group. Now that we’ve gotten rid of cannon fodder like Antonella Barba, Jared Cotter, and Alaina Alexander, we really have a competition. And fortunately, Sanjaya was put of his (and our) misery weeks ago.

Onto the show...

First off, did Paula and Simon call each other before the show and decide to both wear white? Will they later braid each other’s hair and talk about cute boys? And it’s Judge Judy in the audience! Wow, imagine if she judged the show. She’d probably make Simon look like Mr. Rogers.

Before the Idol wannabes sing, we get an retrospective of Barry Gibb’s career and his music catalogue with both the Bee Gees and other artists. Barry, along with his hair circa 1976, is here to mentor the contestants. But how do they do? They each get two songs to either impress us or nauseate us.

Melinda (Love You Inside and Out)-Just when I think Melinda can’t make a song work for her, she makes a song work for her. This song could have been a bucket of disco cheese, but Melinda made if very soulful. Now, this was hardly my favorite performance of Melinda’s; it didn’t exactly knock me off the couch. But both her vocals and her stage skills prove why she’s still in the competition. Plus, she can take criticism like an adult, which is always refreshing.

Blake (You Should Be Dancin’)-Blake shows off a decent falsetto, though at times, a bit off pitch. And not surprisingly, the beat boxing makes an appearance. Now the beat boxing does fit the song, but sometimes I think Blake uses it as a crutch rather than showing off his singing skills. And this is a singing competition. However, his performance will make him stand out. And I like the skunky streaks in his black locks. But Ryan, please do not even attempt to beat box. You sound like my cat trying to cough up a hair ball.

LaKisha (Stayin’ Alive)-I think Barry Gibb sings higher than KiKi. I’m not sure about this performance of LaKisha’s. She seemed to lose steam during the song. Plus this seemed like a cruise ship entertainment type performance, kind of fake. I didn’t buy it. And I wonder if LaKisha bought it. She really seemed to be phoning it in. And if she’s not buying it, why should we?

Jordin (To Love Somebody)-Jordin tells us that she’s learned she can handle a lot more than she thought she could. Well, I’ll sleep better knowing that bit of info. After, stumbling for the past couple of weeks, Jordin is back in fine form. She had excellent control of the song, and her melisma totally worked. It added to the song, without overwhelming it. This was a perfect song choice for Jordin. And her performance was the best of round one.

Okay, round two...

Melinda (How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?)-Well, if I knew the answer to that question, Mindy, I’d be a millionaire. But I digress. Melinda tells us that the first music tape she ever had (tape, because she’s so “old”) was Michael Jackson’s “Bad.” I know it’s hard to believe my young ones, but once upon a time, Michael Jackson was the biggest pop star in the world, and not the batsh*t crazy man who dangled his baby over a balcony. But how did Mindy Do, well, do? Well, this time she knocked me off the couch! Her vocals and performance skills were so beautifully wrought. She really wanted to know how to mend a broken heart. Her voice was top notch as usual, and the end gave me absolute goosebumps! This is the Melinda I know and love. But can we please get her out of the gray schmattes? She has lovely skin tone. Put her in some jewel tones

Blake (This is Where I Come In)-I’m not too familiar with this song, but I really liked Blake’s performance. I thought he made it fun and funky with it’s R n’ B/reggae vibe. I can imagine hearing this song on the radio or see people dancing to this song at a club. It was very contemporary. However, I wonder if this song’s lack of familiarity might turn off some voters. It’s not the most famous song in the Bee Gees’ catalogue.

LaKisha (Run to Me)-I think LaKisha did better this time. I liked her softer vocals; they added a vulnerability to the song. And the diva belting at the end really worked. She sounded wonderful. But I think the first performance will hold her back. She might be on the chopping block.

Jordin (Women in Love)-Originally sung by Barbara Streisand, this song is way too old for 17-year-old Jordin. It wasn’t too long that she was playing with Barbies, so singing a song about being a woman in love seemed totally inappropriate. Plus, her vocals were so off! She was screechy throughout, which didn’t help my migraine headache. Thanks, Jordin. This was a very painful performance. Thanks goodness, she was so amazing with her first song.

So how was performance night? Hmm, okay, I guess. I think Jordin won the first round and Melinda won the second. Blake may be a bit shaky, but I think it may be KiKi who needs to pack her bags.

And I’m still shocked that Simon has a mom, and she’s human...well, as far as we know.

Golightly Grrl said:
And it’s Judge Judy in the audience! Wow, imagine if she judged the show. She’d probably make Simon look like Mr. Rogers.

:lmao: :heart:

I liked Blake's performances. LaKisha ruined "Stayin' Alive", the chorus was a letdown.

Golightly Grrl said:
AI Recaps-May 8th
The Top 4 Perform

Jordin (Women in Love)-Originally sung by Barbara Streisand, this song is way too old for 17-year-old Jordin. It wasn’t too long that she was playing with Barbies, so singing a song about being a woman in love seemed totally inappropriate. Plus, her vocals were so off! She was screechy throughout, which didn’t help my migraine headache. Thanks, Jordin. This was a very painful performance. Thanks goodness, she was so amazing with her first song.

:bow:

:sad:

she was my favorite. i think she had the best voice on the show.

sadly, she's the least "fuckable." and that matters in this kind of competition.

still, i'm sure she'll never have to work in a bank again.

They stretched the show like freaking rubber! Soooooo much filler! :crack: I should've just tuned in for the last 5 minutes!

I wasn't going to spoil myself, but now I'm relieved I did. This was the result I was hoping for. :up:

Wow, was that the worst group sing/medley ever on this show, or WHAT? Ooh, they're switching places on the stage! Ooh, they're standing in another line! Um ... yay?

The only amusing thing was seeing Jordin tower over the others.

And I liked the "Hard Day's Night"-stealing Ford pimp-mercial. Cute.

Down to the final three...

I was reading on another board and they pointed out how Lakisha was given advice from the mentors, but never seemed to take it. And seeing her audition tape again - wow! And her performance of "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" is just one of the highlights of the season. She just didn't live up to it the rest of the competition, IMO. Still good though.

Back
Top Bottom