American Idol 6 - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
If that were solely the case, then more than one guy would be left, and more skinny girls.

Phil should have gone home before Haley, Antonella or Stefanie

keep in mind, that we have music industry where a acts like Britney Spears, Pussy Cat Dolls and the like,
(that have very little singing ability at all). are what the public seems to reward and support.

I'm not sure what your point is. (And hey! You quoted my line that I edited out because it made no sense - no fair! :wink: )

I mean, yes, that's true. We all know that.

But it's nice to have an Idol top 4 who sing very well. And hey, Josh Groban sings very well, and he's very popular these days. So it's not just all image crap that sells and gets all the money.

deep said:
Phil should have gone home before Haley, Antonella or Stefanie

While I think he definitely outstayed his welcome, he was worlds better than Antonella. I'd even say better than Haley too, because while her voice was pleasant enough, listening to her sing was like watching paint dry.

sorry for the "no fair"

I think the best thing AI does

is built in a fan base for who ever they choose.

But being an old timer

I just ask myself
how many of these people would have had a shot without this vehicle.

And sometimes I close my eyes and ask myself

"Is what I am hearing compelling enough to make me want to buy a recording?"

and also, I think all the britneys, and what that "no doubt" gal turned herself into
is taking legit music right down the drain

So, it looks like Bono is going to make every "goodbye" montage from here on out! :hyper:

Definitely some "brokeback" action going on between Blake and Chris.:lol:

Not surprised about Phil. He seems like a stand-up guy. I hope he does well.

But most importantly..... How hot was Jon Bon Jovi tonight???

:combust:

Best AI week yet! :wink:

corianderstem said:

While I think he definitely outstayed his welcome, he was worlds better than Antonella. I'd even say better than Haley too, because while her voice was pleasant enough, listening to her sing was like watching paint dry.

I don't disagree
if you are talking about singing ability

I am just saying what they package and market in the "music industry" these days

great singers that don't look (right)
should be back-up singers (think Dreamgirls) and Melinda

I look at singers like Jordin and Melinda who have really great talent, and I think they would have a shot without the show. The problem is getting your foot in the door. There are TONS and TONS of musicians out there who are talented and creative and have the drive. But they flounder in obscurity.

So yeah, sometimes the show gets it right. It gives someone a boost to get in the door. Sometimes they're singers who should have made it without the show, sometimes they're the fluff singers who are pretty flimsy. But, as you said, that's the way of the world right now. It's not going to go away. Fluff artists have been around from the start of this whole thing. It's pop music.

deep said:
great singers that don't look (right)
should be back-up singers (think Dreamgirls) and Melinda

... and Melinda? They should be a back-up singers and ... a back-up singer? :wink:

But I think I see what you're saying about Phil - that based on what passes as marketable and "good" these days is all about the image, so therefore Phil should have been booted first?

In that case, thank goodness some voters get it right! If that's all people cared about, Antonella and Haley would be the top two. Horrors.

corianderstem said:
I look at singers like Jordin and Melinda who have really great talent, and I think they would have a shot without the show.

We all know Sheryl Crow did some back up.

I think Sinead O Connor did too.

Being a backup singer is a great place to be to get a shot/

Melinda and that guy back up singer that got cut
in a way, are getting second shots.
me thinks.

Gotcha.

I'd forgotten about Brandon. I'd also forgotten about Stephanie until you mentioned her earlier. :reject:

i like Lakisha, and i hope she's in at least the top 2 (i'd say Melinda is a near lock at this point), but that's because she almost moved me to tears months ago when she did "and i am telling you i'm not going."

but then, as a gay man, i think it states in my contract that i must love big, busty african-american women who sing like a thunderstorm.

Just watched the show on my TiVo. I know two had to go, abd was thinking the 2 voted off would be. But still... I had to shed a tear or two for Phil. He's a good guy - all heart, and liked how he went out to the audience/friends/family :heart:

Phil & Chris :wave:

It seemed like no one was surprised that they were staying or going (referring to the contestants). Wonder if they knew or had a clue.

And Bon Jovi were alright too :up:

Am I the only one who thinks Melinda is sooooo boring. Yup she can sing and she can sing well but would I pay to see her in concert? Ummm no. She is not poppy she is more R&B and soul and we have seen how that well that works for former idol winners...aka Ruben and Fantasia (and no being on Broadway is not the same as being Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood). All I am saying is that season is going to be another season where the winner does nothing...unless it is Blake and that is a snowballs chance in hell. Yeah Melinda is good but I have seen it before...snore.
Now Jordin-I can see her in the top 40-cute young with amazing pipes. More of what AI 'looks' for I guess. I dunno-I guess I am just getting sick of investing time and voting effort into this show only to have nothing come out of it. Thank you very much Taylor Hicks!!

Irvine511 said:

but then, as a gay man, i think it states in my contract that i must love big, busty african-american women who sing like a thunderstorm.

:lmao: That is amazing! Gay men=:drool: :love:

:shifty: Aside from that pesky no-sex thing....I wanna marry a gay man. *going now*:shifty:

AI Recaps-May 2nd
The Results

This week the Idol boot comes in pairs, and two Idol hopefuls will be no more. Paula, KiKi, and Jordin are apparently wearing dresses made out of the drapes found at the house of Liberace. And what is up with Ryan’s hair? It’s not its usual fluffed and folded self.

What can take only five minutes, getting rid of two contestants, needs to be stretched to fill an hour. So at first we get a re-hash of Tuesday’s night performances, including KiKi getting her Wet n’ Wild all over Simon. And when I say Wet n’ Wild, I mean her lipstick. Get your minds out of the gutter, kids.

We also get a replay of last week’s extravaganza “Idol Gives Back.,” along with other related tidbits.

Robin Thicke comes by to perform. Wow, I remember when he went just by Thicke. But you got to give Robin his props. His dad, Alan Thicke, wrote the theme song to “The Facts of Life.” Yes, the same Alan Thicke from the 80s sitcom “Growing Pains.” Sometimes it scares me the trivial information that fills my brain. No wonder high school geometry was beyond me.

Finally we get to some results. Melinda, Phil, and KiKi are called to the front of the class. Melinda is safe. KiKi is safe. That means Phil is the first Idol bootee of the night. I liked Phil the past few weeks, and I thought he was one of the best on Tuesday night. I guess he never gained the fanbase to keep him going. Well, it’s better to go down in a blaze of glory rather than a mewling whimper.

After Phil’s sing out, Jordin is announced safe. I thought this might be Jordin’s swan song, but she probably squeaked by on her past performances, not Tuesday’s night performance, which was rather onerous. I definitely believe she’s got a strong fan base that’s keeping her in the competition.

That leaves Chris and Blake. Who will it be? Of course, Idol has other business to get to, like Bon Jovi performing. Other than his hair being a lot less poodle-ish (all of our hair got smaller once the 80s ended), Jon Bon Jovi has not aged a bit. I guess he has a rapidly aging portrait hidden somewhere in his New Jersey mansion. Anyway, Bon Jovi has never been my rock and roll cup of tea so I’m assuming they’re playing a song from their new album “Lost Highway.” After the performance, Jon says some nice things about the contestants, but doesn’t dare say who he thinks is leaving (or admits who he wishes was leaving).

Blake and Chris hit the AI of seal of failure. Aww, feel the love between the two. Much to my relief Blake is announced safe, and Chris is the second of the night to get the Idol Boot. Ladies and gentlemen, Nasal has left the building. Wanted: Dead or Alive? Face it, Chris; you’re just not wanted.

Golightly Grrl said:

Idol has other business to get to, like Bon Jovi performing. Other than his hair being a lot less poodle-ish (all of our hair got smaller once the 80s ended), Jon Bon Jovi has not aged a bit. I guess he has a rapidly aging portrait hidden somewhere in his New Jersey mansion.

capt.2c99fe7768f845f5965a112ec9189b10.tv_american_idol_ny107.jpg

:love:

You wouldn't even know he was old enough to be their father!

This comment is not for me but for my daughter. She thought it was awful how Phil got rushed out in the middle of the show and didn't get an official goodbye like all the rest had. Couldn't they have at least brought him back at the end with poor Chris?

Phil got an official goodbye, didn't he? He got the "clip show" goodbye, with his journey through Idol, and he got to sing his song, and then they all hugged him as he belted out those last few notes.

Honestly, I was happy to see him go just so I could hear him belt out that chorus again. Loved those power notes!

As for Fantasia and Ruben not selling all that well, I wonder if it's just that they aren't as good in their own genre?

Maybe country fans and pop fans thought Carrie and Kelly were good enough to buy a zillion of their records, but did R&B fans not find Fantasia and Ruben good enough to be successful in that genre?

I think they were both good enough to win their respective seasons of Idol, but maybe their success outside the show is determined by their genre.

Not sure where I'd put Taylor in all of that. I know he's not selling as well as past Idols. (Although I picked up his CD from the library a few weeks ago, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I like nice little surprises. :wink: )

LaKisha and Melinda seem practically interchangeable to me. Great voices, but no distinguishing characteristics to make either of them stand out as creative, interesting individuals. I don't honestly see what draws people to one of them more than the other. They could probably wear the same clothes, sing the same songs, etc. Jordin at least has a spark of individuality but she's too inconsistent.

So the way I see it, there are 3 singers and 1 artist left. Probably a singer should win but I'll still vote for Blake since I can see him writing, producing, and being very involved in the process. He has the most talent, IMO.

Irvine511 said:
i like Lakisha, and i hope she's in at least the top 2 (i'd say Melinda is a near lock at this point), but that's because she almost moved me to tears months ago when she did "and i am telling you i'm not going."

Isn't loving big, busty african-american women who sing like a thunderstorm a part of the Gay Ten Commandments?

Golightly Grrl said:

Isn't loving big, busty african-american women who sing like a thunderstorm a part of the Gay Ten Commandments?

i believe so. if i violate one, i'm in breach of my contract and i have to date a woman for a year.

ljclary said:
Am I the only one who thinks Melinda is sooooo boring. Yup she can sing and she can sing well but would I pay to see her in concert? Ummm no. She is not poppy she is more R&B and soul and we have seen how that well that works for former idol winners...aka Ruben and Fantasia (and no being on Broadway is not the same as being Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood). All I am saying is that season is going to be another season where the winner does nothing...unless it is Blake and that is a snowballs chance in hell. Yeah Melinda is good but I have seen it before...snore.
Now Jordin-I can see her in the top 40-cute young with amazing pipes. More of what AI 'looks' for I guess. I dunno-I guess I am just getting sick of investing time and voting effort into this show only to have nothing come out of it. Thank you very much Taylor Hicks!!

I agree 100%. I was bored with Melinda and Lakisha at about week 3 or 4. While i do think Melinda is more solid as a singer, it doesn't really matter, because neither of them has what it takes to make it huge beyond AI. I agree Blake and Jordin are the only ones who have a chance of selling alot of records. Even though Jordin is not as polished as Melinda, it doesn't matter. At this point I'm sick of them too. This season has been lackluster, to say the least. The only good thing about it, is that there is no clear-cut winner. It's a 3-way race for 1st and we've never seen that on AI before.

ultravioletluvv said:

I agree 100%. I was bored with Melinda and Lakisha at about week 3 or 4. While i do think Melinda is more solid as a singer, it doesn't really matter, because neither of them has what it takes to make it huge beyond AI. I agree Blake and Jordin are the only ones who have a chance of selling alot of records. Even though Jordin is not as polished as Melinda, it doesn't matter. At this point I'm sick of them too. This season has been lackluster, to say the least. The only good thing about it, is that there is no clear-cut winner. It's a 3-way race for 1st and we've never seen that on AI before.

I agree. If Blake gets voted off, I won't even bother to watch the rest of it because the women are so bland to me. The men weren't all that interesting either but I genuinely like Blake although that doesn't necessarily mean I'd buy a record...but I might. Very lackluster season indeed.

Nothing wrong with being a back up singer
if you got good pipes

and we know there are plenty of artists
that are great and really aren't good technical singers

they would never get through this week in and week out karaoke type competition

Hey, this is American Idol

don't look for the likes of a lou reed, beck or even an Antony (and the Johnsons) or an Amy Winehouse to come from this type of selection process.

Has anyone heard Kelly Clarkson's new single, "Never Again" yet? I ordered it on iTunes last week. It's amazing.:rockon: :heart: That girl is too damn awesome for her own good. It's such a great guy-bashing song!:drool: :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom