American Idol 6 - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Golightly Grrl said:
Oh, Simon, it’s no longer 1975. Button up your shirt.

Wednesday night we get our first pimpmercial for Ford. The contestants completely murder the Modest Mouse song “Float On.”

I was just stunned that Simon wore something other than a tee shirt!

And I kind of liked the pimpmercial. They've definitely gotten more clever and less cheesy over the years. :reject:

corianderstem said:

I was just stunned that Simon wore something other than a tee shirt!

And I kind of liked the pimpmercial. They've definitely gotten more clever and less cheesy over the years. :reject:

:giggle: That was my reaction too. I remember thinking do my eyes deceive me? Simon isn't wearing a tight T-shirt..:eek: It was a welcome change. Did Randy style him last night?:wink:

I didn't remember what he was wearing either Lila. But white unbuttoned shirt on Simon = :drool:

(AP) Paula Abdul, Cowell chummy in real life

Wed Mar 14

Paula Abdul says she and Simon Cowell, who torments her on the set of "American Idol," are chummy in real life. "Simon and I actually get along great," the 44-year-old "Idol" judge says in an interview in TV Guide magazine's March 19 issue. "We have cultivated a fun relationship. ... He's actually become a really good friend."

Were they at first attracted to one another, as Cowell has suggested?

"Oh, puh-leez! He makes this stuff up," Abdul says. "He said, `Paula, people want us to hook up so bad.' I said, `That's disgusting.' He goes, `Paula, I know you want me,' and I go, `Like a cold sore.' We have fun playing up the chemistry, but there's also times when I would cross the other side of the street so I wouldn't have to look at him."

In her five years on the Fox talent contest, Abdul has become a pop-culture punch line for her sometimes odd behavior, which has included slurred speech. Cowell, ever the troublemaker, is to blame, she says.

"He's caused me a lot of problems. ... In the middle of me trying to figure out how I'm going to say something that gives someone dignity walking off that stage, I've got the antagonistic brother goofing on me, trying to throw me off," she says.

"Simon will do things that people have no idea about. ... When the camera isn't on me, (he) isn't watching the performance, he's poking and prodding me."

TMZ found Sanjayas's My Space page

0315_idol_ap_myspace3.jpg

They also say this. I agree, that was atrocious. And I noticed Simon's face too

Diana Ross gave a mind-numbingly horrific and off-key, shrieking, wobbly performance on "American Idol" last night, that left even Simon Cowell staring in disbelief.

From her opening spotlight, the wild-wigged diva seemed to totter, and then, in a big "American Idol" no-no, she slurred the lyric to her song. Instead of saying, "I know you feel the same way too," she 'sang,' "I know you spiel the same way too." Upside down!

After Diana almost hit several hollered notes, a stunned Simon's eyes widened as he took a sip of his Coke. The song seemed never-ending -- until Miss Ross appeared to mercifully wave at the band to quit playing.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
Diana Ross gave a mind-numbingly horrific and off-key, shrieking, wobbly performance on "American Idol" last night, that left even Simon Cowell staring in disbelief.

Heh. Well, Miss Ross was never known for being a great singer.

Cowell says he's bigger than Springsteen

Thu Mar 15, 7:19 PM ET

NEW YORK - Simon Cowell says he's bigger than The Boss. In an interview to air Sunday on CBS' "60 Minutes," the "American Idol" judge says he's worth five times more to Sony BMG than
Bruce Springsteen.

Chill out Simon. Ok you're hot and rich, but you are no Bruce. Not by a long shot :D

Has the uber success of American Idol gone to Simon Cowell's head? Perhaps. It certainly has padded his bank account – so much so that he proclaims he's worth more than legendary rocker Bruce Springsteen, who has a record contract reported to be worth $100 million.

"I sell more records than Bruce Springsteen," Cowell says in a new interview with 60 Minutes airing Sunday. Cowell tells interviewer Anderson Cooper that he has sold "over 100 million records."

How is it that a former music executive-turned-television personality can achieve this feat?

Cowell says it's simple. "By doing Idol I signed the biggest artist on the planet and it's called Idol because every single Idol winner in now signed through Sony BMG," Cowell explains. "And this applies to ...all countries... we sell Idol to, which is over 30 countries."

Albums by the show's winners and runners-up are distributed by labels within the Sony BMG system through a deal between Clive Davis and 19 Recordings Unlimited, the label managed by American Idol creator Simon Fuller.

Many former contestants – not just the winners – have gone on to become platinum-selling recording artists including Kelly Clarkson, Fantasia, Chris Daughtry and Carrie Underwood, who Cowell predicted would sell "more records than any other artist" in the show's history. And he was right – so far. To date Underwood's debut CD has sold over five million records.

Of Springsteen's $100 million deal with Sony BMG, Cowell quips, "For him it's a good deal."

Meanwhile, Cowell crows to Cooper, "In the last five years, I've probably sold over 100 million records. If [Springsteen] got 100 [million dollars], I should have got 500."

corianderstem said:
I wonder if Sanjaya has a large contingency of Indian voters ... that could be keeping him around more than something like VoteFortheWorst.com.

:hmm:

Look at Jasmine Trias in the Fantasia season - all of Hawaii was probably voting a zillion times for her every week.

I still haven't forgiven Hawaii for her sticking around so damn long. :grumpy:

Ah but she was just so f-ing cute with those flowers in her hair...I actually thought she was pretty good at first, another one like Sundance that got worse as the show progressed.

I just want to :banghead: every time Randy says pitchy. It's even more annoying than dawg.

people.com

If you're a devoted Idol watcher, you've heard the word "pitchy" used a thousand times. Randy Jackson even explained the dreaded word no contestant wants to hear during a recent appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman. To make things more crystal-clear, we asked New York City-based singer and vocal teacher Carolyn Leonhart (carolynleonhart.com) why even a good singer on Idol can be a victim of pitchiness.

"When you add a sound system and a live band to the mix, very often singers aren't hearing enough of their voice," says Leonhart. "For a less experienced singer, they try to sing louder and that throws off the balance of the voice, which changes the pitch." It also doesn't help that the pressure on the Idols is fierce – and nerves can take a toll on the way they breathe. "Nervousness or excitement affects breathing. If you don't have sufficient breath support, the lack of air flow forces other muscles to work harder than they should – which can alter the pitch," she adds.

Randy just annoys me period. For all the crap Simon throws out there at least he usually gets it right re: the quality of the performance. Once you factor in his biases (doesn't like rock, country, or big girls), that is. Randy, I swear sometimes he flips a coin.

Oh and the judges hit a new low this week...every damn week they prattle on about how people need to be more original, make it their own, don't just copycat blah blah blah. Well here comes Blake and Chris with new arrangements, and what does Randy pull out? "These are classics, don't change them." Yo dawg, you're a hypocrite. Grr.

Oh and I fully expect a voting travesty this year, along the lines of last year's premature eliminations (Mandisa, Paris, and especially Chris). Either Melinda or LaKisha will get voted off & not make the top 5 even, and my head will probably explode :banghead:

A lot of times when Randy says pitchy, he really means off-key. Singing on key is crucial, and it needs to be mentioned.

corianderstem said:
I wonder if Sanjaya has a large contingency of Indian voters ... that could be keeping him around more than something like VoteFortheWorst.com.

:hmm:

Look at Jasmine Trias in the Fantasia season - all of Hawaii was probably voting a zillion times for her every week.

I still haven't forgiven Hawaii for her sticking around so damn long. :grumpy:

I'm sure every contestant has a large contingence of voters - not sure why you're singling them out.

Because I'm trying to come up with any excuse possible to explain why Sanjaya is still around. :wink:

But really - I think there were articles out back in Jasmine's time about how so many people in Hawaii were voting for her because she was from Hawaii.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that people are voting for Sanjaya because of his heritage. But maybe he has a ton of people voting from Washington because he lives here. Ditto any other contestant - I'm sure a ton of people voting from New Jersey kept Antonella around a bit longer because they wanted to vote for someone from Jersey. :shrug:

Last edited:
Maybe - I thought that marine contestant was kept around too long as well a few years ago. He probably had a military contingent.

Oh, Josh Gracin! Yeah, he was annoying, and I would bet money on the military contingency thing. I think he went on to have a somewhat successful country album or two.

I just think it's interesting trying to figure out why people vote for someone. There's just a whole gamut of voters:

People who actually vote for the singer they think sang the best that week, despite who they usually love.

People who just really love one contestant and will vote for them 500 times each week.

People who find one really cute, despite how they sing that week.

People who vote to try and throw a cog in the wheel.

People who vote because a contestant has an aspect they identify with (home state, ethnicity, military alignment, nerd).

Sometimes I think analyzing American Idol is more fun than watching it. :reject:

corianderstem said:
Oh, Josh Gracin! Yeah, he was annoying, and I would bet money on the military contingency thing. I think he went on to have a somewhat successful country album or two.

I just think it's interesting trying to figure out why people vote for someone. There's just a whole gamut of voters:

People who actually vote for the singer they think sang the best that week, despite who they usually love.

People who just really love one contestant and will vote for them 500 times each week.

People who find one really cute, despite how they sing that week.

People who vote to try and throw a cog in the wheel.

People who vote because a contestant has an aspect they identify with (home state, ethnicity, military alignment, nerd).

Sometimes I think analyzing American Idol is more fun than watching it. :reject:

So much WORD to you post, especially the last point. I think the reason why I keep writing my recaps is because of the positive reaction. Plus I love discussing and debating the show with other AI watchers.

Speaking of my AI recaps, I'm supposed to be interviewed by our local Fox affiliate this Tuesday and it should be on the news that very night.

Awesome! You'll have to let us know if the clip makes its way to their local website. :wink:

I watch because I'm such a pop culture junkie, I can't NOT watch it.

Two members of my choir (both in their 40s or older, it's worth noting) are into the show now, and I had to talk them off the ledge at rehearsal yesterday, because they were foaming at the mouth about Sanjaya still being there. :lol:

:tsk: :tsk: how much stupider can Americans get? its bad enough that people are voting for him, but now they are going on a hunger strike? its just a singing competition. your life doesnt depend on it. seriously...this is going too far. :tsk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom