American Idol 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the audtions in the begining. It is so funny when a person that cannot sing gets up set when the judges tell them the truth.:lol:

I also like watching the "interesting" looking contestants. Some of those people:coocoo:

I'm telling myself that I will not get as emotionally involved as I did last year. If I spent as much time focusing on my writing as I did on AI season 5, I'd have the Pulitzer by now.

That being said, do you guys want me to write my recaps?

Yes, Golightly Grrl! You and I shared a brain about a lot of the contestants last year, and your recaps are high-larious!

I can't wait for the premiere.

I saw a little blurb a week or two ago about how there's going to be some kind of mid-season twist or something that's going to shake things up. They'd better not bring back contestants who were already voted out! :mad:

102_3851.jpg
:wink:

The audition process needs to be trimmed down. There are so many viewers who just want to watch the bad people, that they're letting people get on TV who are just ridiculous.

Yeah, some of them are really delusional about their talent (those are the ones I like - I find them really fascinating), but they need to stop letting through anyone who's remotely bad, or is obviously putting on a schtick just to get on TV.

In latinamerican Idol I met people that didn´t have talent at all, still they made it to the top 1000, they were cool but they really can´t sing a note and they were very sure they could, I felt sorry for them when i saw them with the yellow pass because I knew they were about to make an ass of them self and they did!

I Agree, I just see the auditons and then leave

Do I look like BBD?? :ohmy:

Phil's sister tried out in Memphis but didn't get picked. She has a degree in vocal performance and truly has an amazing voice, but I think they pick people that are more pop-culture, or people that totally suck, and make their try-out shows based on that.

I usually only watch the auditions b/c their funny and then the final so I know who's weird song I'm hearing on the radio the next day. Last season, I was quite surprised that my instant favorite from the auditions won it all!

Please dear God do not let me get as psycho over this show as I did last season. I truly missed 5 months of my life!!

That being said...Bring on season 6!!:applaud:

Glightly Girl we NEED your recaps...they are perfect!!

Aww, you guys have a wonderful way of making me feel all affirmed and stuff. Yep, I will write my re-caps. I hope they can reach the high hilarity as they did last year, but last year gave me so much material.

I'm in, I guess. I always like the beginning auditions, and then again when it gets down to about the final 6. I lose interest in between.

What twist is lurking for ‘American Idol’?

By Andy Dehnart
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 4:51 p.m. ET Jan 9, 2007

“American Idol” is nothing if not familiar, and outside of the competition itself, the show is predictable. The contestants change, but everything from Simon Cowell’s insults to the repetitive theme music have stayed nearly the same since the first season.

But for this upcoming sixth season, an executive producer for the show told the New York Daily News that producers are planning “a big-event show, sometime in the middle of the season, something that will blow America away.”

Naturally, she didn’t elaborate, and thus the speculation began.

What will the surprise be? What will be enough to truly blow us away? Here are some ideas: some serious, some ridiculous, and some that are little more than wishful thinking.

Give past contestants a second chance

The Boston Globe’s Joanna Weiss recently suggested that the show “take a page from ‘Project Runway’ and bring back a rejected contestant or two — someone beloved by fans, or perhaps somebody hated. Maybe even a rejected contestant from a previous season.”

That, of course, wouldn’t be all that unusual for “American Idol,” which in its first season, brought back five “wild card” contestants who’d been eliminated earlier. Of those, RJ Helton advanced and joined the top 10 finalists; he went on to place fifth overall. Still, Weiss’ suggestion that contestants from years past — like popular Chris Daughtry from last season, for example — could get a second chance would certainly shock America.

Building off her idea, perhaps a number of those who’ve been eliminated will come back for one episode, and then viewers will vote to let one join this year’s competition as a finalist, a sort of wild-card competition but with alumni candidates, and viewers in charge.

Some of those who’ve unexpectedly lost or been eliminated have gone on to successful careers, so it’s doubtful that contestants such as Clay Aiken, Jennifer Hudson (who was recently nominated for a Golden Globe), or even Chris Daughtry (who now has a record out) would return to the show. But if they or others did, it would certainly be the type of event that producers are hinting about.

Let viewers fire the judges for a week

The most shocking part of every season of “American Idol” are the unexpected eliminations; the only people on the stage who are safe are judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, and Randy Jackson, and host Ryan Seacrest. America would really be surprised, then, if Ryan Seacrest announced that viewers could vote to eliminate a judge.

Since they’re all under contract and unlikely to be really fired unless they do something inappropriate, perhaps viewers could be allowed to select one judge who’d have to wear a muzzle for an entire episode. Just think: No allegedly witty, biting cutdowns from Simon Cowell; no noncommittal “dawg, you did your thing” from Randy Jackson; or no whining, sycophantic praise from Paula Abdul. It’d be a gift to America.

Perhaps that muzzled/fired judge could be replaced for a week by a past contestant like Justin Guarini, who doesn’t seem to have anything better to do with his time. Or perhaps even a viewer could sit at the big table and drink out of the sponsored cups.

Taking the idea one step further, the entire panel of judges could be replaced for a week, maybe with a mix of industry experts, past contestants, and viewers. The real judges could watch the action from the side of the stage, enclosed inside a glass box so we can’t hear a word they’re saying.

Borrow some ideas from Down Under

A more likely possibility might be something borrowed from another version of the series. “Australian Idol” underwent a significant makeover last year, improving ratings by making changes unlike any other version of the show worldwide had ever seen. Still, these weren’t groundbreaking changes; the show allowed contestants up to age 30, allowed them to play instruments, featured more singer-songwriters in the competition, and compressed the more boring parts of the show.

But their biggest change seems like a possible candidate for “American Idol 6”’s mid-season surprise. During the Australian show’s season, the “Up Close and Personal” episode shows contestants’ lives outside of the competition, and last year, they wrote and performed original songs as part of that episode.

“American Idol” is essentially a five-month karaoke contest, and when original songs are performed, they’re usually the insipid ballads assigned to the finalists. Having the contestants write and sing their own songs could be dramatic and illuminating, and could be billed as an event-style show. But that does lack shock value, unless they write hysterically awful songs about Paula Abdul hitting on them.

That would work nicely with the planned songwriting competition. In addition to the normal contest, “American Idol 6” will include a separate songwriting competition; the winning song will become the single released by the winner. Since regular Americans will be writing their own songs, we might as well have the finalists write some, too.

Leave the studio

“American Idol” contestants live together; in earlier seasons it was a mansion, and in more recent seasons they lived in a luxury hotel. So why don’t we see any of the drama that occurs there?

“We want the finalists to be comfortable during what little private time they have,” producer Nigel Lythgoe said in the Official Behind the Scenes Fan Book. Thus, cameras stay away, and we see the contestants only during performances or when they’re filming commercials for the show’s sponsors.

But “American Idol” has never shied away from humiliation, and isn’t exactly kind to its contestants in other ways, starting with the tortuous elimination process that occurs every Wednesday. To take that to the next level, cameras could invade their living spaces.

That could provide a glimpse of their lives — and personalities — off the stage, with the addition of a “Laguna Beach”-style episode every week. Or if producers wanted to go much further, cameras could catch the finalists in the shower, for example, and force them to sing a song right then, while bathing.

Borrow ideas from other reality shows

Most talent competition reality shows have taken ideas from “American Idol,” just as other reality shows constantly borrow from one another. And FOX, with its clones of other reality shows (such as “Trading Spouses”) is no stranger to this.

Maybe this season, “American Idol” could give its contestants a song and forced to perform it with only 30 minutes to prepare, like “Hell’s Kitchen” does with food and “Project Runway” does with garments. Or the show could force its contestants to eat only rice while living on a beach, like “Survivor.”

Actually reveal the vote totals

What would really shock America is if “American Idol” suddenly shared viewer vote information with viewers. For a competition that hinges on voting by fans, the show is not very forthcoming with information besides telling us which contestants were the least popular.

Revealing the exact vote totals every night might minimize the drama, especially if one person is the favorite, but at least it will end (some) of the conspiracy theories about the outcome of the show’s weekly voting, and let us know how popular our Idols really are. That would be a surprise.

The big twist should be that they have a way to track votes, and there's only one vote per phone or something.

Let's get rid of the nuts who vote 5600 times for one person each week.

Thanks for your great contribution to the discussion. Feel free to go post in the 24 thread.

:|

Golightly Grrl said:
I'm telling myself that I will not get as emotionally involved as I did last year. If I spent as much time focusing on my writing as I did on AI season 5, I'd have the Pulitzer by now.

That being said, do you guys want me to write my recaps?

:hyper: :combust: :hyper:

:yes:

I look forward to it :up:

Ken Barnes of USA Today’s Idol Chatter blog has posted the Season 6 Schedule:

Jan. 16 (premiere, 8-10pm): Minneapolis
Jan. 17 (8-10): Seattle, WA
Jan. 23 (8-9): Memphis, TN
Jan. 24 (9-10): New York, NY
Jan. 30 (8-9): Birmingham, AL
Jan. 31 (9-10): San Antonio, TX
Feb. 6 (8-9): Los Angeles, CA
Feb. 7 (9-10): “Rest of the Best” Special Audition Show
Feb. 13 (8-9) Hollywood Round
Feb. 14 (9-10): Hollywood Round - Top 24 Chosen
Feb. 20 (8-10): Top 12 males
Feb. 21 (8-10): Top 12 females
Feb. 22 (8-9): Results
Feb. 27 (8-9:30): Top 10 males
Feb. 28 (8-9:30): Top 10 females
March 1 (8-9): Results
March 6 (8-9): Top 8 males
March 7 (8-9): Top 8 females
March 8 (8-9): Results
March 13 (8-10): Finals begin with top 12.
March 14 (9-9:30) Top 12 Results

Last edited:
Wow, they're reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally stretching out the audition shows. Which could get old really fast. A whole show from the Seattle auditions? I thought Simon blasted Seattle because they had a lot of crappy singers.

Gee, thanks producers. We know money talks and those are the shows everyone wants to watch, but give me a break!

(Although it's not like I'm going to skip those. I love to bitch about American Idol about as much as I enjoy watching it! :wink: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom