American Idol 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Golightly Grrl said:
Remember when I told all of you I was writing an AI blog for Milwaukee's local Fox affiliate? Well, I just found out that I'm today'sfeatured blogger! Squeee

Awesome :applaud:

Saw this on Drudge, from TVWeek.com

"Within the next two weeks “American Idol” viewers will see “the biggest thing to happen to ‘Idol’ in five years,” according to Nigel Lythgoe, the show’s executive producer.

"It does include ‘American Idol,’ and it does include America," he told TelevisionWeek Editorial Director Chuck Ross.

Mr. Lythgoe also dispelled rumors that Michael Jackson will be making an appearance this season, contradicting news reports that said the pop star would appear on the talent show."

RavenBlue said:
:hmm: I saw an article yesterday about an American Idol All Stars show coming on potentially. I wonder if that's what Nigel is talking about?
I heard a rumor to play out. It should be interesting to see some of the singers who excited us in past seasons.

I read that Robyn Troup from The Grammys who was cut from AI is negotiating a contract with JT's label.

Ok so last year I had Elliot who went to my rival high school.

This year I have Chris Richardson, who played football for my university :hyper::hyper::hyper: His performance was just really good too :D

Goooooooooooo Chris!

U2Fanatic4ever said:
OMG OMG OMG BLAKE IS DOING A KEANE SONG!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE HIM ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW:heart::heart::heart:

:up:

He's completely won me over.
:drool: :drool: :drool:
Also, I agree with Simon about keeping the beat-boxing to a minimum. It should be done every once in a while to keep it fresh. Otherwise it will feel like a gimmick.

Originally found on the American Idol page for Blake...

Favorite male pop artists?

Robin Thicke, Jamaroqui, Maroon 5, Jason Mraz, U2, Gnarls Barkley, Half Past Forever, Michael Jackson, Prince, Sting, Eric Benet, Martin Sexton, Duncan Sheik, M-Pact

Now he is seriously my favorite. :heart:

PlaTheGreat said:

:up:

He's completely won me over.
:drool: :drool: :drool:
Also, I agree with Simon about keeping the beat-boxing to a minimum. It should be done every once in a while to keep it fresh. Otherwise it will feel like a gimmick.

I totally agree with you. And he sees that too that not to do it everytime he sings. As you said it would become a gimmick..

Sundance Head also lists Bono/U2 as his #1 inspiration, but he hasn't been doing well since his audition. Such a shame. I really love his performance of Stormy Monday Blues. :(

PlaTheGreat said:
Sundance Head also lists Bono/U2 as his #1 inspiration, but he hasn't been doing well since his audition. Such a shame. I really love his performance of Stormy Monday Blues. :(

I thought that audition performance was great. I think his nerves has got the best of him and he needs to conquer those nerves or he is done. He has a great voice.

That indian kid is not gonna make it. He needs some more years on him before he can get through this. His voice is good but the inexperience really shows..

U2Fanatic4ever said:
OMG OMG OMG BLAKE IS DOING A KEANE SONG!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE HIM ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW:heart::heart::heart:

I KNOOOOOW. I STARTED YELLING AT THE TV WHEN HE STARTED SINGING KEANE!!!!

And he likes U2. And he likes Jason Mraz. And he's adorable. I love him!!!!!! :D He's my number one so far!

I thought Blake's choice of song was excellent of course, but didn't think his voice was all that great. My girlfriend thinks otherwise. I thought they were all kinda lackluster except for #10 doing the Brian McKnight song, #2 doing Rock With You and #6 doing Richard Marx. I guess the Timberlake look like and the kid after him were okay. But overall meh... I agree with Simon. (surprise, surprise!)

Simon looked pretty ticked off after Chris' Tellytubby comment. Hopefully Chris doesn't as Golightly Girl put it before, oversnark the snarkyness.

I love Blake! He's great! I hope we hear some U2 songs this season. (Done well, of course!)

Well, that was a hot mess.

Very few people stood out to me, and I can barely remember any of their names. Not a good sign. God, where's the variety? I'm getting really sick of those nasal R&B tenors. A few of the notable ones, I thought:

Blake - I had an immediate visceral reaction to him on his first audition, and it was one of extreme hate. Then I adored his group performance in Hollywood, and now he busts out a Keane song and proves that he can actually sing? Yeah, he's pretty awesome. He seems polite and self-aware, too, which is nice on a show that's so known for delusional contestants.

Chris S., Jack Osbourne's doppleganger - Liked his song and was a little surprised at his voice; I didn't remember it being that strong. Definitely fun, but it is unwise to insult Simon, even when you are justly calling him out for having crap musical tastes. Mind the ego there, Sparky.

Chris R., Justin Timberlake wannabe - No. Just, no. As Paula so eloquently put it a few seasons ago, he was "nasally up in his nasal." Oy. He performs like a human bobblehead. Awful.

Brandon - I kind of liked the arrangement of "Rock With You," but the whole thing didn't quite work. He's a dozen kinds of hot, though, and I like his tone.

Sundance - What did that song ever do to you? Ouch. The judges were right; pick songs with a bluesy vibe, if you even make it through to next week.

Everyone else was completely forgettable. Stevie Wonder songs should be banned from the show. Oh, and Phil looks like Nosferatu. That's all I got.

I liked Blake a lot (Whoo! Seattle! Whoo!), and Chris Sligh was great - what was that song/artist he did? I don't know that I've ever heard that one.

Sunjaya (is that right?) - not great, but he's cute enough that I bet he sticks around for at least a few more weeks. Little girls like the cute.

Well, this season is a bore. I pretty much agree with what Simon says.

If it were up to me, there would be only 3 guys I'd let move on after tonight. The rest I'm just not so sure about.

I haven't been watching since the San Antonio show. Since I was flipping channels I thought I'd see what's happening, and I'm glad I haven't been wasting my time with AI.

So I'll wait another month again after they've knocked off most of the bad ones before I watch.

Catch y'all later :wave:

U2Fanatic4ever said:

As soon as we found out it was a Keane song, I told Maddy that Amy is gonna like this guy :wink: :hi5:

I think Blake was definitely the best performer/standout of the evening. Although it's not saying much because it was pretty much a snoozefest. No one really stood out :shrug: Also liked Chris Sligh (and have all along), and a couple of others weren't too horribly bad, or maybe less 'bad' than others. I wonder if Sanjaya's sister picked his song ("I don't want to bore you :yawn:") to sabotage him; I think he has more talent than that. Maybe it was inexperience as well. These guys were picking horrible songs :yikes: I feel bad for the guy who was cut last week in place of Sundance. I hope he ain't going postal right now. That should/could have been his spot. Ot he could have taken Rudy Cardenas' spot ("Free Ride"). I can't believe Sundance couldn't find any song with soul to sing to suit his voice :sigh: That was a
trainwreck.jpg

I think the contestants this year are pretty bad, I am already bored. Last night I watched the ABC special about the half brother -and- sister- in love instead :wink:

All of you are cracking me up with your comments. I love you guys! Here is my recap:

AI Recaps-February 20th
The Top 12 Guys (Okay, If You Insist)

Tonight, the contestants’ fates are in our hands. The top 12 guys will perform, but we will be voting. Ryan, looking fetching in a vest, shirt, and jeans combo, says that Season 6 offers the best talent yet. After watching, I’m not so sure of that.

Rudy Cardenas (Free Ride)-He sounded very nasally and needs to enunciate. I couldn’t make out the words he was singing. I find his voice to be very sharp and pitchy, plus this song is a totally over-played bar band song. It made me think of getting beer spilled on me at Summerfest.

Brandon Rogers (Rock With You)-Brandon starts this song off slowly; it’s very soulful and seductive. “Don’t Try to Fight It”-okay, I won’t. Then Brandon speeds up to sound more like the original song. He really gets me moving. Though pitchy in parts, Brandon is in pretty good form. He also plays well to the camera and has the best smile. *Throws panties* It’s time for Brandon to embrace being a lead vocalist.

Sundance Head (Knights in White Satin)-This song is just buckets of cheese. And Sundance reminds me of Meatloaf. Meathead? How can someone who impressed me so much in his audition make me never want to see him again? He’s so off-key! I pegged him as someone very bluesy and soulful, yet he’s singing some 1970s overwrought rock song. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if Sundance stays a while, just so we can get people in the audience holding signs saying, “Give Me More Head.”

Paul Kim (Careless Whisper)-Yes, he’s barefoot. Well, at least his feet aren’t nasty. He starts singing in a key that is way too low for his voice, though he sounds much better in the bridge. He’s so uninspired and I don’t think he’ll survive. I know what he is capable of because I was privy to his music before tonight’s show. However, potential means nothing if he can’t make his actual performances something worth watching.

Chris Richardson (I Don’t Wanna Be)-He sounds like he was sucking on a tank of helium before he got on stage. He brings a lot of energy to his performance, but I’m just not thrilled with his vocals, very nasally. Plus, there is something so skeevy about him. The judges called him another Justin Timberlake; I think he’s more K-Fed.

Blake Lewis (Somewhere Only We Know)-I’m going to give Blake a lot of credit for choosing a song outside of the AI box. Keane deserves much more attention from the pop rock listening masses(obviously this comment is not directed at anyone here). Blake does a really good job with this song and his performance, and proves that he doesn’t have to resort to beat boxing.

Sanjaya Malakar (Knocks Me Off My Feet)-I can tell he’s nervous and hesitant, which isn’t good. And he’s so “High School Musical” to me. I wish he would have waited a couple of years to audition for AI until he gained some maturity and experience. Furthermore, I don’t think any one should touch this song after Elliott Yamin’s brilliant rendition last season.

Chris Slighe (Typical)-Chris really got into the spirit of the song, and performed pretty well other than being a bit rushed in spots. However, talking smack to Simon (no matter how obnoxious Simon can be) is a little too much. I like snark, but AI is basically a very long and exhausting musical interview. Would any of you talk smack to someone interviewing you? I didn’t think so. I’m afraid Chris’ humor may grow weary after a while and overshadow his performances.

Jared Kotter (Back at One)-I wasn’t impressed. It was painful to listen to in parts. I think I like his speaking voice much better than his singing voice. However, he sure is nice to look at. Too bad prettiness won’t get you the AI crown (Ace Young: “Tell me about it!”)

AJ Talbaldo (Never Too Much)-Is it just me, or is he completely indistinguishable from a lot of singers? He had fun on stage, but other than that he didn’t do much for me despite having a good voice. I was bored.

Phil Stacy (Could Not Ask for Anything More)-I could ask for more-Phil to get off my TV screen. He is so creepy, and I don’t like his voice. Of course, he’ll go far in the competition. He’s in the military, a Christian, and a dad. The red states will love him. Furthermore, he’s brought up the holy name of Chris DAUGHTRY!-the de facto winner of AI season 5.

Tonight was such a waste of time for me. I could have been watching “Law and Order: Criminal Intent.” Last year, the top 12 guys excited me so much. I was bowled over by so many of the performances that I spent two hours voting for my favorites. Now? I have nothing. I’m hoping the girls bring much more tomorrow night.

Blake's vocals weren't the best (who's were???), but I enjoyed his performance the most by far.

PlaTheGreat said:

:yes: I was glad he didn't do any beatboxing. He's right...this is a singing competition. The beatboxing is awesome, but he needs to focus on his singing and prove to people that he's not just a one trick pony.

Even though his singing didn't blow me away, I like the fact that Blake chose a song that hasn't been done to death and did it well. I hope the girls are more exciting because honestly, after last nights show was over the only two I could remember were Blake & Chris. Not good considering these are supposed to be the 12 best male singers in America. Oh, and I hope that guy starts wearing shoes because that's going to get annoying real quick.

Last night was so unmemorable I just realized I completely forgot to recap Nick Pedro. I thought he was passable, but will get lost in the shuffle. Either really bring it like Blake (and use a unique song) or totally suck like Sundance, and you'll be really memorable.

And I never thought I'd say this, but, bring back Kevin Covais.

I saw from Golighty Grrl's recap that Chris Sligh sang "Typical." Anyone know who sang that originally? I may have to hunt down a copy of that song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom