American Idol 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well... We liked Katherine, Ayla, Lisa and Paris. Mandisa did alright tonite. Some were really weak. Becky might squeak by a little because of her looks. As Melissa said, they've never given her any airtime til tonite, so hopefully she gets another shot to show off.

I think Heather and Stevie might go :shrug:

bring on the boys! :sexywink:

I agree with your list of the good ones, Lila. I also thought that Kinnik (think that's how her name is spelled) girl was really good tonight, too, personally, but the judges didn't think so, which kinda surprised me.

That one girl, the really outspoken one (name escapes me at this time)-yeah, she was a tad much for me.

Most of the girls did seem to be a bit meh tonight, though, yeah. Will be curious to see how the guys fare tomorrow.

Angela

Mandisa: Never (Heart) What a wonderful way to start off the show. Mandisa really hit it out of the ballpark. She has a wonderful voice and great showmanship. Let’s hope the judges and the voters can get past her size and pick her for her talent. I think she has a very pretty face and the loveliest smile.

Kellie: How Far (Martina McBride) – Being skinny and blonde doesn’t make one a good singer. And her sob story is getting really old. “Oooh, my daddy is in jail.” Join the club, hon.

Becky: Because the Night (Patti smith) Brings the pretty but she came across as a Playboy Playmate of the Month doing karaoke. Plus she has forever tainted one of my favorite songs!!!!

Ayla: Reflection (Cristina Aguilera) She was better than I thought she would be and a lot less robotic than her previous performances. However, I think she should stick to basketball.

Paris: Midnight Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight) I love this girl so much. Great voice and showmanship. Her enthusiasm was so infectious. I was a little dismayed at her outfit though. She looked like an extra from the movie, “Shaft.”

Stevie: To Where You Are (Josh Groban) She has an opera-trained voice? Are you sure?

Brenna: You Are the Sunshine of My Life (Stevie Wonder) I hate this bitch with the fiery intensity that I usually reserve for people like Ann Coulter and Dr. Laura. She typifies the kind of person who keeps reminding you how fabulous she is but can’t bring the goods.

Heather: When You Tell Me that You Love Me (Carrie Underwood) Who? Don’t let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

Melissa: When the Lights Go Down (Faith Hill) Not too great. It’s obvious that she’s a pageant girl with her plastic-ness. And she wasn’t on pitch.

Lisa: I Am Changing (Jennifer Holiday) Beautiful girl, and poised beyond her years (Brenna, take note). The song was a bit too old for her but I thought she did a great job. I’d love to see her in ten years.

Kinnik: Get Here (Oleta Adams) I think she’s got a great voice and she did a pretty good job. I hope she lasts for a while.

Katharine: Since I Fell For You (B.B. King, Streisand, among others) I thought her singing was wonderful, but her stage presence was a bit meh. And what was up with her left arm? It just hung there all limp.

My faves so far-Mandisa, Paris, and Lisa
Please go-Kellie and Brenna

I will fully admit that Paris can sing, but there is something about her that comes across as being exceedingly annoying to the point where I want to stab myself with a pencil when she talks.

Brenna makes me want to punch a hole in my TV-she is that type of girl that thinks she is all that and a bag of chips but in reality is just another bag of crap.

Ahhhh she is sooooo annoying!!

Thanks for letting me get that out:wink:

Brenna needs to go first, then Heather & Melissa next (bland,bland,bland,bland,bland). You can already see who will be the final 2-3 girls, and they need to develop their act quite a bit to sell any CDs.

The snippet preview of the guys made 95% of them look like total dufuses! We'll have to see if there is actually any talent there. Great breakdown Golightly Grrl!!

Brenna: Anyone have a baseball bat? Since she lived alone in a car for a good portion of her life...maybe she won't know anyone with a phone to call in to vote for her. Can't wait to see her face when she's the first sent home.

Becky: Boring Blah.

Mandisa - Likable. But too old. Looked like she was performing in the choir of Sister Act III. Make her the American Idol and we can also have a great pay per view AI Sumo wrestling match: Mandisa vs. Ruben Studdard

Kellie - With a view voice lessons?... Too wooden on stage and the cowgirl, riding a horse stance didn't work...she looked constipated. How can this little thing not have much of a love life?

Kinnik: Wake up people - It's a man. and he's going home a lot sooner than you think.

Ayla - Ok but has this look on her face like there's bad wind in the room.

Paris - Good voice but way too over the top. Fantasia lite. But she'll probably make it to the final six.

Stevie - horrible song selection and looks like a gazelle. I hope she's given another week.

Heather - cute but completely forgettable. Another one brought in strictly for the press photos.

Lisa - Talented and classy but if you listen carefully, it's not a voice you'd want to hear on the radio. It lacks warmth. Maybe it was the song but I don't think so.

Melissa - Nice girl and she has a voice but there was a reason we hadn't heard or really seen her before. There's a bassett hound thing going on. She has bags above her eyes.

Katharine - Great voice and I wanted to dislike her but she is a lovable ditz. The camera just LOVES her. Beautfiul, gorgeous hair, incredible smokey bedroom eyes. And the most memorable line of the night, "Sorry you had to stare at my butt the whole time...oh my god,...it's SO big." Loved that.

Send home: Brenna and Becky

Last edited:
SunBloc said:
Brenna needs to go first, then Heather & Melissa next (bland,bland,bland,bland,bland). You can already see who will be the final 2-3 girls, and they need to develop their act quite a bit to sell any CDs.

The snippet preview of the guys made 95% of them look like total dufuses! We'll have to see if there is actually any talent there. Great breakdown Golightly Grrl!!

Aw shucks, thanks. I was at yoga class last night so I had to tape the show. I watched it once I got home and made notes. Yes, I'm a dork. And yes, I will make notes when I watch the boys tonight.

Well, I have to say.. I wasn't impressed with many of the girls. I really like Kellie Pickler and I would love to see her go far because she deserves it, but her performance was weak last night. Paris I thought, was the best of the girls.

I'm kind of thinking it might be a guys year.. considering there has only been one male winner in the whole series.

Interesting observations :hmm: I like it!

And Brenna won't last since she's annoying the hell out of everyone. Remind you of anyone from last year? :hmm:

Bring on Ace! And Chris! Hope that the boys choose better songs to sing than the girls did...

ok,

so the girl that sang "because the night"

said it was the first recording she got and she loved the song

then Simon said if you choose that song

you better do it better than the origonal

my questions

what recording did she get?

and which origonal artist? was Simon talking about?

Springsteen was in the studio recording
Heard Smith in the next studio

He wrote BTN
He gave it to her because he said he thought it was perfect for her

He has recorded it also
I have seen them both do it live several times.

I have not seen Natalie Merchant (10,000 Maniacs) do it, live.

But, she had a major hit with the song.
And my bet, this is the recording the girl got, (she is about the right age for the Merchant release).
And sadly the original Simon is referring to.

OK - The guys' night to sing.. Before I forget their names, I thought Ace, Gedeon, & Taylor showed a lot of promise. A side note-I just cannot believe I am already hooked on this show again!! I swore I wasn't going to watch it this time, and it only took one time, and I am HOOKED...:mad:

hook.gif

Here is my take on last night's show with the boys.

Patrick Hall (Come to My Window-Melissa Etheridge)-Not a good song choice. This is a song that needs grit and angst and Patrick was too cruise ship entertainment happy. He does have a great voice and I’d like to hear him sing other songs to get a bigger range. However, he needs better stage presence.

David Radford (Crazy Little Thing Called Love-Queen)-Queen meets swing? David is a bit too affected and came across like he was auditioning for the spring musical.

Bucky Covington (Simple Man-Lynird Skynrd)-Perfect song choice for a guy who looks like you’d see at a monster truck pull. I liked him, but he was too growly in some parts. He seemed comfortable on stage. However, mumbling when one speaks doesn’t mean “real.”

Will Makar (I Want You Back-The Jackson 5)-Hey, it’s Kevin Arnold from “The Wonder Years!” He’s cute, but he has teeny-bopper written all over him. He’s “sexy” in that safe, puppy-ish way that appeals to glitter sticker collecting tweeners everywhere.

Jose “Sway” Penala (Reasons-Earth, Wind and Fire)-A few notes were off pitch, but damn he can really hit that falsetto. He really delivered with the song and he’s loaded with charisma. He has the perfect old school R & B vibe. I hope he sticks around.

Chris Daurghty (Wanted: Dead or Alive-Bon Jovi)-He has a good rocker voice, but he needs to tone it down just a wee bit. He was too “shouty” in some parts. Perfect song for him, though. I like a rocker boy.

Kevin Crovais (One Last Cry-Brian McKnight)-Does he have a lisp? I noticed a slight one while he was singing. He’s got a good voice, but he needs to become more comfortable on stage if he’s going to go further. He’s a sweet kid and Simon was being such an ass.

Gedeon McKinney (Shout-Isley Brothers)-Toga, toga, toga! He sure got the girls up and dancing. He’s very entertaining and enjoyable, but his smile bothers me, too. How can someone have so many damn teeth?

Elliott Yamin (If You Really Love Me-Stevie Wonder)-I love this song so much, so I was hoping Elliott wouldn’t screw it up. I really think he delivered. However, his Easter Island head is a bit disconcerting.

Bobby Bennett (Copacabana-Barry Manilow)-Fire Island Talent Show runner up. He’s like your drunk gay uncle at your kid brother’s bar mitzvah. The most middle-aged 19 year old I have ever come across. Vocally very weak.

Ace Young (Father Figure-George Michael)-Sultry, smokey voice and a total eye shagger. Swoon. Thud. I love him. He makes my inner fan girl go squee. One of my favorites. I hope he keeps bringing it.

Taylor Hicks (Levon-Elton John and Bernie Taupin)-He’s so soulful and I love his bluesy voice. Great song choice. He sings out of the sheer joy of performing, not because he has to be a STAH!!!! He’s completely orginal and his enthusiasm is so infectious.

My faves-Taylor, Ace, and Elliott
Goodbye-David and Bobby

Last edited:
I've been missing it because of the Olympics

people.com

There's nothing like being on American Idol to help excavate a person's past. In the case of contestant Becky O'Donohue, two-year-old photos showing her with her twin sister, Jessie, have surfaced on the Maxim magazine Web site.

The shots depict the 25-year-olds in bikinis, revealing baseball jerseys, and sitting in a sauna – clad only in towels.

The pictures were taken in 2004 for the publication's online fantasy baseball game – and found new life when O'Donohue became an Idol contestant, Jordan Burchette, executive editor of the site, tells the Associated Press. "There's all kind of new buzz surrounding them."

The twins reportedly were models for hire at the time they posed for the pictures. Said Burchette: "They were athletes in college, then models, and now they're vocalists. We look forward to their political careers."

A spokeswoman for FOX, which airs American Idol, had no comment.

http://www.maximonline.com/girls_of_maxim/girl_template.aspx?id=1209#

Ace does not have the best voice, but I bet the ladies voted for him BIG TIME.

He reminds me of a young John Travolta

Taylor has a wonderful voice, but he still seems slightly retarded to me. Or perhaps a bit of teretts syndrome...constantly shouting "yeah" or "Whoo":huh:

Back
Top Bottom