American Idol 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moonlit_Angel said:

Shame the guy from Wyoming didn't continue on, but his performance wasn't good, so it's understandable. Still, he seemed like a nice kid, would've been cool to see him last a bit longer. At least he handled the cut well.

Angela

perhaps if they had put more time in rehersing than

making that lame video they would have gotten further

Aboslutely no surprises for me in the top 24. All I can say is that I predict a male winner, possibly one female final-finalist: Paris.

deep said:

perhaps if they had put more time in rehersing than

making that lame video they would have gotten further

I don't think they can really blamed for that video. They are pretty much under the control of the producers the entire time they are on the show, from beginning to end. Most of the videos they put the contestants in are humiliating and/or lame but if they want to continue on, they have to do them.

That said, they sucked big time and I don't think any amount of rehearsal would have changed that fact :uhoh:

Yeah, of the guys, I like Taylor, ACE, and Elliot. Don't know if we got to see much of the other 9. (How could you miss Ace? :drool: )

Of the girls, there are a few good ones, obviously Paris. My daughter likes Kelly, and I liked the few others, can't recall them all. Liked the first brunette through, who was scared and uncertain. I guess we get to call in next week and go from there. GAME ON!

I haven't read this entire thread but......

Kind of crazy that there are so many beautiful people in the final 24.....G0d blessed these people w/ voices AND good looks.

Numb1075 said:
I haven't read this entire thread but......

Kind of crazy that there are so many beautiful people in the final 24.....G0d blessed these people w/ voices AND good looks.

Everyone looks pretty when they have professional make-up people helping them out.
Some of those very same people did not look so hot in the audition.
If you're talking about Ace and Chris though, that's a different story...:drool:

I love Chris-his voive is so raw!! And holy crap is Ace hot!!

I freakin' LOVE this show!!!:wink: :wink:

I am a fan of Ace!

Attachments

• ace.jpg
    ace.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
let's not forget about the blonde ladies - MEOW !!

I liked the girl who kissed all three judges on the lips:

"I kissed all of you on the lips, they were all so lucious":lmao:

i hope that the gray haired guy was doing a Joe Cocker impersenation during his audition - because he looked "mental"

And then for the final 24 decision, was he doing a Stevie Wonder impersenation?:scratch:

Lila64 said:
Yeah, of the guys, I like Taylor, ACE, and Elliot. Don't know if we got to see much of the other 9. (How could you miss Ace? :drool: )

Of the girls, there are a few good ones, obviously Paris. My daughter likes Kelly, and I liked the few others, can't recall them all. Liked the first brunette through, who was scared and uncertain. I guess we get to call in next week and go from there. GAME ON!

The mini fahs like Paris and Kelly too :yes:

I love this show, but it's just so manipulated (shocking, I know).

The first few people voted off will be people who did not get any back story or extra clips on the show. Like the guy who was funny and a little overweight? Who made a joke about his weight?

He was charming, but I predict he'll be the first boy voted out - Ryan will announce his name next week, and America will go, "WHO???" Plus, have we ever heard him sing? Maybe at his first audition, but I sure don't remember him.

I like Katherine McPhee now. At her first audition I thought she oversang and was affected, but she's grown on me.

And I love Taylor ... you know, the mental gray-haired Joe Cocker guy with the harmonica. He's bizarre, but I totally dig him.

I can't like Ace yet. He needs to prove to me that he's not another complete skeezy ickfest like Constantine. :wink:

when i first saw Ace, I thought he's the Constantine of this season.

And the bald guy from NC(?), he's the Bo Bice of this season (not folically, but persona and musical interests)

No, Chris Doughty (sp on the last name?) is the bald rocker dude. Elliott has a really close-shaved head, but doesn't do the rocker thing (or does he? Man, so many of them are interchangable for me - I can't keep about half of the girls straight).

Chris is the one you've been seeing on the promos since the beginning of time ... or whenever it was that they started airing the promos for this season of AI. :wink:

this is Chris
chris.jpg

this is Elliot
elliott.jpg

I had them confused.

Some honest commentary? The men are a lot stronger this time around and across the board, a lot more likable than the women.

Last year, I did well in guessing who would do well. This is what I think this time around...

America sends them home in the following order:

The Men/Boys

Elliot Yamin - No air time and hate to say it...not much to look at. Didn't we all know someone like him that sold us dope in college? If he makes it past the first cut, I'll be shocked. Who knows...maybe he's a brilliant performer.

Bucky Covington - Skinny little cowboy hats and a guy who looks like he should be an extra in a Marlboro ad. See very little crossover appeal. Bring on the chaps.

Sway Penala - Couldn't understand half the words this guy was singing. Also, with his exit, America has now voted out 3 of the 4 oldest men: 27,28 and 28. Old guys suck. :wink:

Gedeon McKinney - The Welcome Back, Kotter attitude must go. He doesn't have enough of It.

Kevin Covais - Nice kid. Opera might be a better gig for him. The Met.

Bobby Bennett - Humor got him this far. But unless he's the next Seinfeld...he and that awful facial hair are gone before the top 12.

David Radford - time to go back home to high school for the spring musical where he played Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls last year. This year, O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A!!

Will McCarr - Note: looks like an extra on That 70's Show. Back home to Houston where he'll be starting the 7th grade. Hollywood may ask him to stick around for the next version of the Brady Bunch. The perfect Bobby.

Patrick Hall - Bread tunes will only get you so far. And like he said, he ain't no Ace Young.

Taylor Hicks - The oldest at 29. I'm actually rooting for this guy but a good voice will only take him so far. Some questions that must be answered? What can they do with that hair? Is a dye job out of the question? Can he stop with the Joe Cocker meets Ray Charles moves? And for heaven's sake, what does he wear?

Chris Daughtry - Hands down the best voice of the men. We just got a brief glimpse of that when he belted out Sheryl Crow's The First Cut is the Deepest. If he had the looks to go with voice, he would win this competition. He still may have the emotional intensity to pull it off. Seems like a great guy.

Ace Young - Unless he makes a complete ass of himself...this is his Idol to lose. Teenage girls already have his poster up in their rooms and even guys seem to like him. My only question is...can he act? Huge crossover potential.

The Women/Girls

Kinnik Sky - who? Hope she was smart enough just to bring a carry-on bag. Hint: it's the same spelled backwards.

Brenna Gethers - Now please, just put a sock in her mouth. The slapping her butt girl must go home. If the other contestants could vote, she'd be the first to go but America might enjoy someone who can verbally spar with Simon.

Melissa McGee - So long, bye bye. Sweet and sleepy eyed. Sweet dreams, dear.

Ayla Brown - Nope. I've already had way too much of this girl. Send her back to the Boston College basketball team. She annoys me with that gum chewing and that curly lip. She might go home sooner.

Lisa Tucker - haven't seen much of her. Maybe she stays longer. Only sixteen. She could be the big surprise.

Paris Bennett - I know that they've sold us on this girl. But a little one note. And that speaking voice. Oh. Again, only 16.

Kellie Pickler - There's a good chance she becomes unglued during the live shows. Sweet kid and they did a nice thing by giving her a ticket to the final 24. Her life is already changed forever but it is now time to send the pickle packing. If she says, "Pick me" again, send her home the first week.

Becky O'Donohue - Her looks get the best of her. Doesn't believe in the white pants after Labor Day rule. Most likely to appear in the Playboy spread. Already dating sport celebrities and will do well on a soap opera.

Heather Cox - Another good Christian lady. Seventeen out of the final twenty four mention prayer and/or thanking and/or a relationship with God/Jesus in their bios. She has the strength of character to go further.

Mandisa - I may be way too generous here. I like her but at 29 and as big as a couch, will America? She'll either last for a long time or go home very, very quickly.

Katharine McPhee - Yes, she reverted to being a five year old when she walked around like a complete dork and kissed all of the judges. Ok, there was a touch of cuteness in that. She also might be overrated.

Stevie Scott - If this girl can adapt, she'll be the last girl standing. She might come across too mousy.

Winner: Ace

Last edited:
The judges have actually been too nice. I'm actually looking forward to the criticism and the added pressure of the live audience and the entire country watching. Whole new ballgame.

Yeah...the part where people get torn from limb to limb.:wink:

:bump:

Tonight is a two hour extravaganza with the girls.

Tomorrow will be another two hours with the boys.

Then Thursday is the results show (one hour) Four will be eliminated

Last edited:
RavenBlue said:
:bump:

Tonight is a two hour extravaganza with the girls.

Tomorrow will be another two hours with the boys.

Then Thursday is the results show (one hour) Four will be eliminated

:rockon:

How is it possible I'm the first to comment on tonight's show? Goodness! Long-winded-ness ahead...

Mandisa - great!

Kellie - I didn't think she was all that good, and the verses were way too low for her. But how can you not like her?

Becky - Yowch. Maybe a singing competition isn't the best place to sing a song made famous by Patti Smith and Natalie Merchant. Great song, but not something to show off your voice. Too karaoke, and she bugged me.

Ayla - I've been having a hard time giving this girl a fair chance. It might be her giant "Miss Overachiever 2006" flashing neon forehead sign, but I admit I'm predisposed to dislike her. But that was better than I was expecting!

Paris - Hm. I have huge expectations for her, and that didn't quite live up to them. But nowhere near being a bad performance.

Stevie - Did she say she was singing "opera" and then say the song was done by Josh Groban? Sweetie, Josh Groban is not opera. I really want to like this girl, and find it wholly refreshing to have someone singing in a non-belty/shouty/melismatic way, but that was completely unremarkable.

Brenna - Boy, does she irritate me. But she's got a nice little smokiness to her tone that I like. Then the next minute I just want her to stop singing.

Heather - Are we sure she still doesn't have laryngitis? The first half of that was very weak. The end was stronger, but not much better. Love the top, though.

Melissa - I barely remembered anything about her prior to this show. But that wasn't bad! Better than the last few singers, definitely. And what's with all the ballads tonight?

Lisa - She's not my favorite, but damn ... how in the world is she just 16??? Careful, judges. Don't go overboard in your praise. The voters don't like to be told who to vote for.

Kinnik - Very nice, but a few bum notes. Nice, strong voice, though. Looked mighty classy.

Katharine - I have high expectations for her, especially since they've put her last. They usually do save someone really great for the end. I really like her, even though she does tend to oversing. Her voice is just really good, and I find her really likeable.

Going home Thursday? I'm going to guess Becky and Stevie. Or maybe Heather and Melissa, just because of their lack of screen time prior to tonight.

Back
Top Bottom