American Idol 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joyfulgirl said:

Once in awhile I think Simon crosses a line and says something just really unnecessarily mean, but for the most part I think he's usually right on.

Yep. Yep, yep, yep.

I'm sorry but I would have reacted the exact same way as Simon. Paula and Randy were even getting on my nerves. How many times have they both passed someone that really had no shot and Simon has let it go?
My coworkers act that way around me all the time, "someone is having a bad day" and it really only makes you even angrier. :mad:

No one impressed me today. :|

Dear girl who has a singing teacher for a mother:

You're really lovely, and have a very, very good voice. But you oversang that song by about 600% and need to sing about 75% less notes.

I was waiting for Simon to pull out the "you're too affected" criticism, but nope, all three of them just about built a temple in her honor.

I thought her voice was very, very good. But Jesus on a cracker, tone it down about 360 notches!

Oh, and I loved when Simon called the one girl's boss and asked if she could have her job back. That was really cute.

corianderstem said:
Dear girl who has a singing teacher for a mother:

You're really lovely, and have a very, very good voice. But you oversang that song by about 600% and need to sing about 75% less notes.

I was waiting for Simon to pull out the "you're too affected" criticism, but nope, all three of them just about built a temple in her honor.

I thought her voice was very, very good. But Jesus on a cracker, tone it down about 360 notches!

Oh, and I loved when Simon called the one girl's boss and asked if she could have her job back. That was really cute.

I liked the daughter of voice coach. Sometimes you want to hear more than a minute of a song to see what they can do. I mean the first girl had a great opera/classical voice, but NOT a pop one :shrug:

Yes, Simon was funny calling the woman's boss to get her job back - but that was cool!

i like it when they all say they have been singin'
since they were two years old.:huh:

see what happens
when parents don't spank their children :eyebrow:

A voice teacher can teach you how to improve your tone and your breathing, and other technical aspects, but they can't improve your voice. if you can't sing, you can't sing.

I've noticed the ones that say they've been singing since age two usually suck big time.

It's the overconfident, arrogant ones that usually seem to have the worst voices. Not always the case, but most of the time.

And Simon calling the boss to get that girls job back was very sweet.

on one of those Entertainment shows this evening, they showed Rhonetta - previously picked up on a DUI and some other trouble she might have had in the past

And not only did Simon leave the auditions that day, he didn't just go back to his hotel either. He got on a plane and went back home (to L.A. I believe)

:whistle:

Is American Idol going to be on this Tuesday? I remember last year they were considering running AI against the State of the Union speech but ultimately went with Bush.
My dad also told me there are no more Wednesday shows?? Splain!

I think Simon has the best ear of the 3 judges too, but I'm really getting tired of the pop and showtunes.

Lila64 said:

And not only did Simon leave the auditions that day, he didn't just go back to his hotel either. He got on a plane and went back home (to L.A. I believe)

:whistle:

I think that part was over-dramatized. After that segment, they said there was only one more audition left, so it's not like he wasted a day.

PlaTheGreat said:
Is American Idol going to be on this Tuesday? I remember last year they were considering running AI against the State of the Union speech but ultimately went with Bush.
My dad also told me there are no more Wednesday shows?? Splain!

There doesn't seem to be any info about Wednesdays show on the website So I don't know what's going on there. Maybe it will be just one audition a week and then they'll get back to the two night deal once the voting starts.

I just checked the satiellite and it has Idol listed for tomorrow night. So I'm not sure what's going to happen there either.

I haven't really cleared anything up... sorry..

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I think that part was over-dramatized. After that segment, they said there was only one more audition left, so it's not like he wasted a day.

Well, I believe that's what Paula said on Entertainment Tonight :shrug:

Randy Jackson was on Daily Show last night and Jon Stewart really gave him a hard time about how Simon goes out of his way to crush the souls of these people. Not just say - oh you can't sing but also extra cruel remarks aobut them personally.

It makes me think that Simon was a child who was picked on a lot and now revels in his role as a person of power. No one bullies better than the former bullied.

Based on the huge ratings for these audition shows, I still think Simon is that mean because that's what the people (or a lot of them, anyway) want to see. Fox is paying him to be extra mean.
I'd like to think he's not really that much of an asshole in real life.

I also think a lot of his annoyance this year is toward the producers, who put through the annoying/bad/gimmick singers just because they're bad or gimmicky. They've always done that, but Simon seems very exasperated by it this year.

corianderstem said:

I also think a lot of his annoyance this year is toward the producers, who put through the annoying/bad/gimmick singers just because they're bad or gimmicky. They've always done that, but Simon seems very exasperated by it this year.

That really is mean. Some of those people who are terribly bad singers (and thought they had a shot at the prize) looked totally heartbroken. They were passed through at least two rounds of producers. All that for a slap in the face!

What I've always wondered is how many of the thousands of people auditioning per city actually get to audition in from of Simon, Paula and Randy... It can't be 10,000 per city - there are not enough hours in day (or money to be paid for that!)

SunBloc said:

That really is mean. Some of those people who are terribly bad singers (and thought they had a shot at the prize) looked totally heartbroken. They were passed through at least two rounds of producers. All that for a slap in the face!

Which just adds another level of delusion to some of these people. You'd think some of them would have a clue that they're being put through just for the sake of the viewing audience's amusement, rather than because they're such incredibly awesome singers.

Especially since this is, what - the fifth time the show has been on? It's not like this is a new thing the producers do. Do these people not watch the show? I'd bet a good chunk of the bad singers are being bad on purpose to get on TV, and even some of the "heartbroken" singers, or the ones who badmouth the judges are just acting.

Last go-round of Idol, there was a girl who sang badly and did a horrid dance as she auditiond with "Flashdance." She made it on TV, and it later was revealed online (she was a poster on the Television Without Pity forums or something, I think) she auditioned solely with the intention of being so awful that she'd get on TV.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

I'd bet a good chunk of the bad singers are being bad on purpose to get on TV, and even some of the "heartbroken" singers, or the ones who badmouth the judges are just acting.

Last go-round of Idol, there was a girl who sang badly and did a horrid dance as she auditiond with "Flashdance." She made it on TV, and it later was revealed online (she was a poster on the Television Without Pity forums or something, I think) she auditioned solely with the intention of being so awful that she'd get on TV.

:yes:

She was an intern at one of the Tampa radio stations. The radio station sent her to be "awful" and try and get on tv - it worked. After that, I take all of the reallllllllllllly bad auditions with a grain of salt.

Yeah, he wasn't bad. I really liked little gray-haired Taylor at the end. He had a great voice, and I'd put him through based on his song choice alone.

Sam Cooke ... :drool:

Back
Top Bottom