American Commentators.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Palace_Hero

Refugee, Note: Troll-like
The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference.
I am watching Ole, a Spanish La Liga highlights show and it is being commentated by some complete wanker, an American. It has struck me, how come all American commentators of football I hear are so overbearingly shite? On ESPN, on this aforementioned show.. They seem to have exaggurated accents, seem like they are deliberately mispronouncing names and have to talk with 'flair' as if it is some sodding advertisment carthorse, sorry NFL, 'game'.

The emphasis is all wrong and it just sounds awful. And it isnt helped in the show I'm watching when it is blindingly obvious he isn't commentating live, yet is trying to pretend he is. :mad:

Or am I overreacting?

Last edited:
Palace_Hero said:
For the record I also dislike most British commentators, they sound like death, boring and repetitive cliched insights. But the difference is I have heard good British commentators and my point is I haven't heared goot American ones.

and you're basing this off a commentary you heard under a foreign language highlight show?

yea...

that makes sense.

i'm guessing you the highlight was monday night football... who's announcers are john madden, a legend in color-comentary, all be it one who's up in age and has lost a step and now baisicly just mumbles the same thing over and over again... and al michaels, who's only considered to be one of the greatest play-by-play guys in the history of sports... the guy who did the whole "do you believe in miracles? yes!!!" call from the 1980 winter olympics "miracle on ice" game.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

and you're basing this off a commentary you heard under a foreign language highlight show?

yea...

that makes sense.

No that just alerted me to a realisation that I have never heard an impressive American commentator in all my years of watching world sport.

Edit: and it wan't a foreign language show, it was in English aimed at English speaking countries.

Last edited:
Palace_Hero said:

No that just alerted me to a realisation that I have never heard an impressive American commentator in all my years of watching world sport.

Edit: and it wan't a foreign language show, it was in English aimed at English speaking countries.

You haven't been watching the right sports then.

Mel Allen, Vin Scully, Chick Hearn, Harry Kalas, Ernie Harwell, Curt Gowdy: You won't find many better than them. A lot of the good ones have passed on or not in their primes but these guys are legends.

randhail said:

You haven't been watching the right sports then.

Mel Allen, Vin Scully, Chick Hearn, Harry Kalas, Ernie Harwell, Curt Gowdy: You won't find many better than them. A lot of the good ones have passed on or not in their primes but these guys are legends.

I made it clear I just hadn't heard any quality, not that there wasn't any. Justifiably, I haven't heard of any of those names you mention.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

john madden, a legend in color-comentary, all be it one who's up in age and has lost a step and now baisicly just mumbles the same thing over and over again

Totally off topic, but Frank Caliendo from Mad TV, does a spot on impersonation of Madden.

Play the "Part one" video clip.
http://www.frankcaliendo.com/high_bandwidth/multimedia.html

Brazilian commentators are the worst. if somebody scores a goal, then they just scream GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they scream it for about 2 minutes, god knows how they don't get out of breath.

it's quite funny though the first time you hear it

There's one thing about light heartedly taking the mick out of American sports (or European sports for that matter); it happens here occasionally.

It's another thing to go trolling and fishing for negative replies.

Hewson said:

Probably John Sterling!:lol:

it is high... it is far... iyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiiiiiiiiiit is goooone. a backa to back, a belly to belly... alexander the great conquers again and the yankees win... thhhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhh yankees win!!!

frankly... i'd rather have john sterling announce my every day events than have to ever listen to michael kay, that total complete douche bag.

at least you can laugh at sterling's homer-ism... kay is such a brutal yankee homer, but he tries to deny it. it's sad and/or pathetic.

and frankly, what john sterling does is no better/worse than that soccer guy with his "goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal goal goal goal goal gooooooooooooooooooooooooooal" chants. perhaps he's an american, too.

I think we all grew up listening to a certain style and perhaps we're just accostomed to one country's "style" versus that of another.

And I use the term "style" loosely because each announcer has their own style.

babyman said:
the best commentators are brazilians and argentinians................the continue talking even when the players are in the dressing rooms!

:up:

A goal without the "goaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll" yell does not make any sense... Brit comentators are also incredibly boring... what is that "he scores!" crap...? :huh:

Americans do not have a clue about soccer, that is why their commentators suck.

Two seasons ago when all the big European teams were travelling the US for pre-season they left the feed on at half-time and I had the fun distraction of hearing the US commentator (who made a few mistakes in his overall terminology but was otherwise quite enthusiastic) singing along to 'Pump It Up' by Elvis Costello before changing the lyrics to 'I have to go to the lavatory'.

What the hell was the need to rip up the NFL for? It has nothing to do with soccer/football except in name. It was pointless. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom