Am I the only African American here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ty Willingham

The Fly
U2 fans do span the globe and have reached every ethnic group. However, I've noticed that there aren't that many African American (American African, whatever) fans. Just remember back to when you saw U2 last year. White, middle-upper class fans.

Thoughts, questions. Discuss.

~Ty

c-willingham.jpg

PS I know that this thread has come up before but I can't find it.

PPS CK's Ty Willingham moniker is based on Tyrone Willingham.

In Atlanta, ist leg, there was an African American guy in the heart I spoke with a bit. He was into the show as much as me or anybody else I suppose.

I guess most African Americans I know listen to more rap, R&B, or hip hop instead of rock.

U2 does transcend though, and they never shyed away from 'Pride' to having Public Enemy open a bunch of shows and so on.

Other guys I talked too had comments about the Superbowl and generally thought U2 were "bad ass" and put on a hell of a show, respected the largess of their performance in comparison of what they might of saw from other hot acts with brilliant productions.

Yeah, the band doesn't have a large African American following. I don't know why. I'd like to think that people listen to music because it's good, not because it's a certain genre. I like plenty of black artists, but that's cause they make good music.

------------------
Pink elephants and lemonade.
Dear Jessie, hear the laughter running through the love parade.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers: Emily's Wallpapers

Yes, the Wanderer, btw you are in the DC area if my memory serves me correct? I was stationed at Ft Eustis in the Commonwealth of Virginia, for 2.5 years there hero.

I do see non-white u2 fans quite frequently, but they are primarily hispanic and asian,etc.
I've often wondered why there arent more black fans.
I'm white, but i am most certainly not middle or upper class, so...i guess I'm a minority too!
smile.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 05-05-2002).]

As far as I know I'm the only American Indian....
biggrin.gif

Anyone else out here a bona fide Indian (please no "my great grandmother was an Cherokee princess.

dream wanderer

[This message has been edited by dream wanderer (edited 05-05-2002).]

[This message has been edited by dream wanderer (edited 05-05-2002).]

I saw two africa-americans in the heart in Miami (12/2/01). One of them was in front of me in the heart. I'm not sure, but when I watched the Boston DVD, I think that was the same girl! She's a huge U2 fan, I suppose.
wink.gif

I actually feel good when I see them watching U2 shows, cause that's just an indication that the band can reach everyone, regardless of race. I'm Asian, BTW.

There was a tall African American girl far up in line in Lex. She was very gung ho and religious. She borrowed my marker to make a GOD BLESS U2 sign. She stood right front and center in front of the stage and held it up.

Oh, and Harlequinn is an African American girl here. She met the band and was onstage with Bono once. Somewhere there is a pic of him kissing her.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 05-06-2002).]

Originally posted by Ty Willingham:
Just remember back to when you saw U2 last year. White, middle-upper class fans.

Thinking, thinking....nope, youre not correct...the two times I saw U2 last year I was standing right next to a black guy (sorry, we dont really say African-American up here in Toronto at least none of my friends who 90% of which are black do), and we have since become great friends. He introduced himself to me in Jersey while we were in the heart line. You probably know him from his famous "Our Church" sign. Great guy, and one HELL of a U2 fan...or should I say fanatic. Larry personally handed his drumsticks to him after Jersey, even drawing them away from other clutching hands to make sure my friend got them. After we became friends we planned our trip to Miami for the final show together. We met at least 10 or so other black fans in the heart line for Miami.

To the other person who commented on Miami, you were probably standing right beside our little group (btwn Bono and Adam, about 2 people back from the rail?) There was a number of us "non-whites" (well I can't really say 'us' as Im kinda white myself but anyways...) in the audience. Actually I was quite astonished in Jersey at just how 'rainbow-like' the crowd was in the heart, even more so in Miami! I actually remarked to my brother just how non-white the audience really was...and he said to me 'holy shit, and we're at a ROCK show!!'...we thought it was an amazingly diverse experience where people of all races and backgrounds were just there to shed all the foolish stereotypes and unite in their love for great music.

I don't think its necessarily a black or white thing, but realistically, a smaller proportion of black people like rock music than white people. Maybe they just don't get exposed to it, but I do know that almost all of my friends whom I've introduced to U2s music have enjoyed it, so maybe its just an exposure thing? I mean, whenever Im in NY Ive never heard Hot 97 playing U2! : ) I'll be quite honest, alot of the radio stations that play U2 in my city mostly play alot of other crap that I hate, so if I was waiting for an introduction to U2 from simply the radio I probably would never have had one, cause I dont like those stations...

Gabriel

------------------
"...well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"
BTBS, Rattle and Hum

Originally posted by dizzy:
I saw two africa-americans in the heart in Miami (12/2/01). One of them was in front of me in the heart. I'm not sure, but when I watched the Boston DVD, I think that was the same girl! She's a huge U2 fan, I suppose.
wink.gif

I actually feel good when I see them watching U2 shows, cause that's just an indication that the band can reach everyone, regardless of race. I'm Asian, BTW.

That is the same girl!! Cant remember her name tho, but we have pictures of her..

Originally posted by gabrielvox:
Thinking, thinking....nope, youre not correct...the two times I saw U2 last year I was standing right next to a black guy (sorry, we dont really say African-American up here in Toronto at least none of my friends who 90% of which are black do), and we have since become great friends. He introduced himself to me in Jersey while we were in the heart line. You probably know him from his famous "Our Church" sign. Great guy, and one HELL of a U2 fan...or should I say fanatic. Larry personally handed his drumsticks to him after Jersey, even drawing them away from other clutching hands to make sure my friend got them. After we became friends we planned our trip to Miami for the final show together. We met at least 10 or so other black fans in the heart line for Miami.

I met him in NJ too! I was right next to him (and you too, but we didn't talk) in line. I agree; he's a great U2 fan and very deserving of one of Larry's drumsticks.
smile.gif

------------------
"There's a danger in every story and every smile" - South

That is the same girl!! Cant remember her name tho, but we have pictures of her..

Hey, that was me
smile.gif
I was in Boston and Miami and a few other cities in between. What pictures do you have of me?

As far as black fans, I met a few others along the way, but by far the most I saw were at the Miami show.

[This message has been edited by Harlequinn (edited 05-06-2002).]

This is why I did that poll recently. I don't think there are many black U2 fans, maybe less than 5% of the fans.
In fact, Rock and Roll in general doesn't usually have a large black fanbase.

Thats ool though, not saying there's anything wrong with that.

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Originally posted by Harlequinn:
Hey, that was me
smile.gif
I was in Boston and Miami and a few other cities in between. What pictures do you have of me?

As far as black fans, I met a few others along the way, but by far the most I saw were at the Miami show.

Cool!! No specific shots of you, but a couple of general ones when in the line and also before the show while waiting inside the heart...we werent too far from each other, I think you were in the low tens or twentys and we were in the 50s...

Gabriel

------------------
"...well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"
BTBS, Rattle and Hum

Hey, that was me
smile.gif

yay! harlequinn finally comes out of lurkdom to post!!
biggrin.gif

i did a bunch of shows with her, and miami was by far the most racially diverse crowd! it was very, very cool.... i remember meeting the guy with the "our church" sign- he was a couple of rows behind us, with his g-friend (i think). then there was lisa, another black fan, who was behind me and harlequinn. it was great!
smile.gif

"i believe in the Kingdom Come, when all the colors will bleed into one..."

Hey, that was me
smile.gif

Harlequinn, were you wearing glasses in Miami? The girl in front of me and the one in the Boston DVD was wearing specs.

Originally posted by *Ally*:
i remember meeting the guy with the "our church" sign- he was a couple of rows behind us, with his g-friend (i think). then there was lisa, another black fan, who was behind me and harlequinn.

OK. here is where we all remember who we met! : )

The black girl Mark (the guy with the our church sign) was standing beside was my wife. I was the nutcase with the I Want to Sing poster and the home made U2 Miami tank top (my wife made it for me while in the line), and Lisa was not too far from us either, actually we gave her a ride back to her hotel after the show. THere was another girl (can't remember her name) there too that we met before the show, she was over more towards Adam though..I have a picture of her, Lisa, Mark and my wife together...so who are you?? : ) We were hanging out with Lisa most of the time too, so we must have met?

Gabriel

I work at the college with some students who are studying here but call Kenya their home. I was at a surprise birthday party for one of them. I was the only white person there, and they wanted me to be in charge of music. I played U2, and they loved it...though many of them had never heard of U2 before.

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

OK. here is where we all remember who we met! : )

The black girl Mark (the guy with the our church sign) was standing beside was my wife. I was the nutcase with the I Want to Sing poster and the home made U2 Miami tank top (my wife made it for me while in the line), and Lisa was not too far from us either, actually we gave her a ride back to her hotel after the show. THere was another girl (can't remember her name) there too that we met before the show, she was over more towards Adam though..I have a picture of her, Lisa, Mark and my wife together...so who are you?? : ) We were hanging out with Lisa most of the time too, so we must have met?

Gabriel

OH! so that pretty woman was your wife- sorry for the mix up!
smile.gif
i remember seeing her hanging out with mark in line, and i also remember the picture being taken in the parking lot- it was too funny! i don't think we met, since i didn't talk to lisa until we got inside the heart- i don't remember seeing her in line, but she was literally right behind me during the show.
biggrin.gif
there was another black girl at that show- her name was kim, and she was wearing glasses, so that might be who you're thinking of dizzy- but she was on edge's side. (she's a huuge edge fan- she cries every time she meets him! lol!) so how many black fans in the miami heart are we up to? i think that's 6- pretty impressive!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by *Ally*:
there was another black girl at that show- her name was kim, and she was wearing glasses, so that might be who you're thinking of dizzy- but she was on edge's side. (she's a huuge edge fan- she cries every time she meets him! lol!) so how many black fans in the miami heart are we up to? i think that's 6- pretty impressive!
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, she was on The Edge's side as I was! Pretty diverse crowd in Miami.
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom