Alternate "CD" Exchange (Screwtape's Idea)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the tourist

Blue Crack Addict
Screwtape2 said:
Okay. Here's my plan...

In the spirit of the musical exchange, you pick 3-5 artists that you feel others should know. You upload a CD length (80 minutes) playlist representing those artists. You listen to each playlist and see what you like. Hopefully you discover a new artist or rekindle a love of an old one.

I have a couple people interested in this already so we should go with this. :up:

Okay, let's get this rolling. This is the free/no-mail version.

I'd be in, I don't have a lot of time to put great effort into flow or anything, but I could upload about 80 minutes worth.

I don't think flow is needed. But I'd say to stick between 3-5 artists, like Screwtape said.

By the way, great idea Screwtape. :up: I'm all up for simplicity and free.

But it's not required. Also, I think we should be at liberty to include more than 80 minutes. For instance, don't struggle to chop out songs because it's 86 minutes or something. This is not a competition, so there are no real rules. I think 80 minutes should be a guidling for a minimum. For instance, I really want to introduce people to the many faces of Starflyer 59. However, they have 11 albums. So I'm thinking of doing a full 80 minutes just on them.

the tourist said:
But it's not required. Also, I think we should be at liberty to include more than 80 minutes. For instance, don't struggle to chop out songs because it's 86 minutes or something. This is not a competition, so there are no real rules. I think 80 minutes should be a guidling for a minimum. For instance, I really want to introduce people to the many faces of Starflyer 59. However, they have 11 albums. So I'm thinking of doing a full 80 minutes just on them.

Yeah it isn't required.

I want to stay with the 80 minutes so you have the best of an artist come out. I don't want people to overdose on an artist. It is meant to be a small introduction. I for one don't want to hours of new music that is just one or two artists I might not like. So keep it to 80 minutes.

Screwtape2 said:

Yeah it isn't required.

I want to stay with the 80 minutes so you have the best of an artist come out. I don't want people to overdose on an artist. It is meant to be a small introduction. I for one don't want to hours of new music that is just one or two artists I might not like. So keep it to 80 minutes.

The only reason I would do that is that they have had 3 very, very distinct, different sounds over the past 15 years. It's kind of like if one band sounded like My Bloody Valentine, and then psychadelia, and then guitar-based new wave.

the tourist said:

The only reason I would do that is that they have had 3 very, very distinct, different sounds over the past 15 years. It's kind of like if one band sounded like My Bloody Valentine, and then psychadelia, and then guitar-based new wave.

Let's keep it to 80 minutes. Like I said in the superthread, you can give them more later if they are interested in what they hear.

Screwtape2 said:

Let's keep it to 80 minutes. Like I said in the superthread, you can give them more later if they are interested in what they hear.

Imagine you're introducing U2 to someone. That's what it'll be like for me to introduce Starflyer 59 to someone. :|

the tourist said:

Imagine you're introducing U2 to someone.

The Electric Co.
A Sort Of Homecoming
Streets
Bad
Mysterious Ways

Not that difficult. :wink: Just give them a little of everything. Let's keep this to 80 minutes.

the tourist said:

From the viewpoint of a listener, I'd say try and cut it down to between 70-100 minutes. 80 minutes should be a target.

Also I'm doing a selection of stuff I'm currently listening to, that I've discovered this semester.....plus Lit, cause from a few superthread discussions I don't think many people know anything beyond that one single, and they've got some interesting stuff...then I may be biased by the middle school attachment I had to them.

:rolleyes: I thought people liked getting new music. I suppose that must not be true, as there are now rules to being nice and going above and beyond to try to give out music. I'll keep that in mind the next time anyone asks me to upload anything.

the tourist said:
:rolleyes: I thought people liked getting new music. I suppose that must not be true, as there are now rules to being nice and going above and beyond to try to give out music. I'll keep that in mind the next time anyone asks me to upload anything.

Cut the whining, Tourist. Keep it to 80 minutes and it'll be better for everyone. Hence the fact that everyone is disagreeing with you. :wink:

the tourist said:

But the point is to give a sample, and if someone likes it, they'll ask for more. If we were doing a music swap of CDs we'd be back in the superthread shooting the shit.

the tourist said:

Imagine you're introducing U2 to someone. That's what it'll be like for me to introduce Starflyer 59 to someone. :|

oooh now that's fun

The Electric Co.
Bad
either Unforgettable Fire or A Sort of Homecoming
One Tree Hill
Acrobat
Stay

if they've really been living under a rock, I'd throw in Beautiful Day and Mysterious Ways, otherwise I'd assume they'd heard those two.

Screwtape2 said:

It would be better to have more than two to expose more artists to people but you don't have to.

Well one of the artists I was planning on using has a career spanning from 1973 - Up until now, which would need a good few tracks for a fair reflection

Irishteen said:

Well one of the artists I was planning on using has a career spanning from 1973 - Up until now, which would need a good few tracks for a fair reflection

My suggestion and this is only a suggestion is maybe have 3/4 of your playlist belong to that artist and 1/4 of another artist. It is up to you though.

Back
Top Bottom