Alright, gimme yer theories.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
so, i live in new england and it snows here a lot. on both the college campuses in my town, physical plant sprays this stuff called "ice-be-gone" on the sidewalks as a salt substitute. we're not the only ones who use this stuff, we can't be. some of you (hell, maybe even hewson will come in here with his theories about the ubiquitos brown crap if they were using it back in his time at the univeristy of mass in amherst) have got to be familiar with this stuff.

so my question to you is: what the hell is ice-be-gone?? i looked at the tank in the back of the truck when they were spraying it, and it didn't tell me. i've heard it's soy sauce-based, i've heard it's molasses-based. i've even heard that it's the byproduct of the hops, leftover from a local brewery. everyone is so sure that their theory is correct, and they're always citing some professor or something. the only thing i know for sure is that it stinks.

it's all natural. It's made from beer, sugar and corn byproducts.

Putting straight beer on the road doesn't do the job, but the chemical compounds of beer, combined with corn and sugar, it smells a little bit rancid but it works quite well. It's really effective even to temperatures 10-20 degrees below zero where salt sometimes loses its effectiveness.

Chizip said:

Putting straight beer on the road doesn't do the job, but the chemical compounds of beer, combined with corn and sugar, it smells a little bit rancid but it works quite well. It's really effective even to temperatures 10-20 degrees below zero where salt sometimes loses its effectiveness.

That sounds suspiciously like sewage.....

Maybe, being a college town they just run a line directly from the frat houses toilets. Think about it....beer, sugar and corn byproducts. Pretty much a frat house menu. :)

Haven't heard of anything of the sort yet, but then again, if snow piles up we just call the Canadian Army in again, no need for corn-based products!:wink:

zonelistener said:

Did you pay $40...or did you try Public Transit?

I forgot to call you with directions this morning

Bad zoney :down:

Shame on you Jeffrey Michael! :madwife: :rant: :giggle:

We took the T :wink:

Bono's American Wife said:

Shame on you Jeffrey Michael! :madwife: :rant: :giggle:

We took the T :wink:

:lol:

Hopefully Mr. BAW got in some Bono-robics this morning in the gym at the hotel!

green inbound (to Government Center) to blue to the airport (then the shuttle)? I think that's what I did last night....If you did, maybe you heard someone say "Revere" - I never get tired of people from the area saying "Revere" (rah-vee-ah)!

zonelistener said:

I never get tired of people from the area saying "Revere" (rah-vee-ah)!

i do. the current radio station music director is from there. :|

Interesting....I think our school just uses a bit of salt. Mostly, for the campus walkways they use this cool thing. It's not a plow, but it has like a giant bottle brush on the front that spins insanely fast. The bristles are angled so the snow is brushed off to the side. It works better than a plow b/c usually a plow just packs the snow down into ice. This brushy thing gets right down to the pavement.

I recently wrote a scathing letter to the Commuter Advisory Board and Student Development Office regarding the imbicles living along the busy street leading to our campus who NEVER EVER shovel and demanding the college do something on our behalf. Supposedly, the phyiscal plant is going to plow/giant brush thingy a few blocks off of the campus b/c for many of the people like me who walk to school at least once a day on that street, it's dangerous and annoying to have 3 feet of snow and then some slush and then some slipper ice the entire way.

One of the more entertaining parts of winter on the campus is when we get say 5 feet of snow that's been pushed here and there by cars and plows and finally, the physical plant has to close the huge parking lots, put the snow in a dump truck, and dump it over by the Christian Reformed Church of North America headquarters. Then all the trust fund babies have to actually park their car far away and WALK their asses to class for once.

indra said:

That sounds suspiciously like sewage.....

Maybe, being a college town they just run a line directly from the frat houses toilets. Think about it....beer, sugar and corn byproducts. Pretty much a frat house menu. :)

:ohmy: :wink:

The University where I work also uses the "plow" with spinning brushes on front. The joke here is that it just polishes the ice -- which is true! :wink:

zonelistener said:

:lol:

Hopefully Mr. BAW got in some Bono-robics this morning in the gym at the hotel!

I saw him doing this one! :hyper:

bono.jpg

there was an article in the local paper about it today. ice-be-gone = molasas and magnesium chloride. the town is considering using some clear, odorless thing instead. i didn't read too carefully about that stuff, i was more interested in ice-be-gone. besides, if they use new stuff, where will the fun be when i try to figure out what that is?

Chizip said:

So how does it taste and how much do you need to get a buzz?

Back
Top Bottom