Alright, football (non-American football) lovers, ask a lady...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
[q]Women know more than men about soccer
Reuters Wednesday October 12, 06:57 AM

* Email page
* IM Page
* Print page

Women know more than men about soccer

LONDON (Reuters) - If you don't understand soccer's offside rule, don't ask a man -- find a woman.

Women are top of the table when it comes to knowledge about the beautiful game, relegating their menfolk to second spot, according to a survey released on Wednesday.

Research found that 59 percent of women could correctly identify the offside law -- one of the game's hardest to comprehend -- as opposed to just 55 percent of men.

Also 65 percent of women correctly used the title assistant referee, while 40 percent of men wrongly referred to the official as a "linesman".

"I've never understood the big fuss surrounding whether girls know what they're talking about when it comes to football because it was my mum who taught me the offside rule when I was a kid," said Sky Sports presenter Helen Chamberlain.

However when it came to team strip, the men were way ahead. More than 80 percent of men could correctly identify the kits of the 20 Premiership teams compared to just 33 percent of women, the survey of 2,000 customers of sports bar Walkabout found. [/q]

I have a question: Why is soccer, as boring as it is, so popular around the world? I imagine it is because many countries have limited choices in sports. Am I correct?

Oh, one more: Why is soccer popular in grade schools and high schools in the United States? Is it because its the one sport where there can be at least 3 non athletes on the field who won't screw up the good players on that team from winning? In the crazy world of parents forcing their kids to athletics, is soccer the perfect answer for the all around non-athlete?

that's quite interesting.....but i can recognize all 20 prem teams kits as well as understand the offside rule. :yes:

Mud in the Sand said:
I have a question: Why is soccer, as boring as it is, so popular around the world? I imagine it is because many countries have limited choices in sports. Am I correct?

Oh, one more: Why is soccer popular in grade schools and high schools in the United States? Is it because its the one sport where there can be at least 3 non athletes on the field who won't screw up the good players on that team from winning? In the crazy world of parents forcing their kids to athletics, is soccer the perfect answer for the all around non-athlete?

No, you are completely wrong. Limited choices in sports? :huh:

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world because it is easy to play when you are kid. Basically, all you need is two players and a ball and you can play the sport. No need for bats, racquets, helmets, rims, pucks, sticks, etc. etc. And if you call soccer boring, you have not sat down through a baseball game, probably the slowest, longest, and most boring sport ever... (and I still have to admit that I watch baseball games... :shrug: ).

I think the perfect answer for the all-around non-athlete is baseball... just look at the average weight of a baseball player and compare it to a soccer player...

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Also 65 percent of women correctly used the title assistant referee, while 40 percent of men wrongly referred to the official as a "linesman".

And knowing the difference in names is incredibly relevant to understand a soccer game... :tsk:

The term "non-American" football, as used in the title of this thread, is kind of vague. After all, there is association football ("soccer"), rugby football, Australian rules football, and Gaelic football.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
but if you dare run past the defense, the ref stops you and gives the ball to the other team.

yea... excitement abounds.

Just like American football, where you have to go to commercials every 10 seconds.

Or baseball, when one person runs every 10 minutes.

So much more fun.

Mud in the Sand said:

I think parents should push their kids into Tai Qi.

foray

U2@NYC said:

Just like American football, where you have to go to commercials every 10 seconds.

Or baseball, when one person runs every 10 minutes.

So much more fun.

:up:

I have tried to watch gridiron on the telly (here in Oz they show the Superbowl) but it would have to be the most boring thing after watching grass grow. 2 seconds of action, then a long break while 40 men stand on the sideline, then another 2 seconds of action and repeat ad infinitum.

And why do you need a thousand players to play one game? We've got a couple of Aussie Rules players gone to the US where they earn squillions just be kicking the ball ONCE in a game.

I'd rather watch paint dry. :tsk:

Windmilllane said:
I love those one-word names for socce players: Pele, Maradonna, Bono, Larry, Edge, Adam

:wink:

Maradona a one-word name? :huh:

Maradona is his last name, dude. His full name is Diego Armando Maradona.

:tsk:

jimmmm said:

aka cheating fat bastard

Aka, the best goal in the history of the World Cup.

Aka, now very thin and healthy.

Aka, the Hand of God.

Aka, the nightmare of every English player.

Aka, the best ever player in the world.

Mud in the Sand said:

I am just as perplexed as you, I find it so boring compared to football and basketball. I do, however, find baseball almost as dull as soccer.

From what I've seen, it's popular in elementary schools but usually dies out by the teen years (at least in the southeast where I live) Soccer seems to be the thing for little kids, while it becomes for geeks in high school and no one will touch it. Pro soccer, men or women, does not survive long in the US in any market despite many attempts to make it popular. Personally, I destest the 'soccer mom' culture of middle America, this coming from a suburban mother of three. They put all their little bucktoothed baldheaded bastards in the mininvan with a soccer ball sticker on the back and waste every Saturday. I guess some people live for that, but it's not for me, or my kids, and thank goodness. I can avoid the games and practices, but unfortunately still get stuck behind the slow moving soccer ball stickered minivans full of buck toothed, baldheaded, annoying little bastards at every fast food joint and bank.

:crack: Why the hell did this thread become a bashing of soccer?

It annoys the fuck out of me that some people in this forum can't respect other people's enjoyment of a sport and leave these threads alone.

It is sooooooooooo fucking annoying and boring to hear and read comments from people saying that this sport is boring.

I am tired of defending it to those who do not understand it or for those who just write it off. I don't bash other sports and respect others who play those sports that I may not be interested.

Sorry:( I didn't mean to make you mad. But really anytime any topic is brought up for discussion on a message board there are going to be both responses we like and those we don't, because not everyone agrees. I started a thread on Bang and Clatter called 'type of music you would consider torture' and I saw some of my favorite bands getting listed :sigh:

U2@NYC said:

Aka, the best goal in the history of the World Cup.

Aka, now very thin and healthy.

Aka, the Hand of God.

Aka, the nightmare of every English player.

Aka, the best ever player in the world.

aka, the best goal in the history of the world cup, that would be Sir Geoff Hurst, some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over, it is now!

aka, now very thin & healthy, who fucking cares?

aka, the hand of God, the hand of Satan more like

aka, the nightmare of every English player, No, we give respect to footballers who beat us fair & square, usually Germans, or Brazilians

aka, the best ever player in the world, Don't talk out of yer arse, his achievements, both individually, and as a member of a team are dwarfed when compared to the GREAT PELE, without a shadow of doubt the GREATEST EVER!!!!!

jimmmm said:

aka, the best goal in the history of the world cup, that would be Sir Geoff Hurst, some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over, it is now!

aka, now very thin & healthy, who fucking cares?

aka, the hand of God, the hand of Satan more like

aka, the nightmare of every English player, No, we give respect to footballers who beat us fair & square, usually Germans, or Brazilians

aka, the best ever player in the world, Don't talk out of yer arse, his achievements, both individually, and as a member of a team are dwarfed when compared to the GREAT PELE, without a shadow of doubt the GREATEST EVER!!!!!

1. Who the hell is Sir Geoff Hurst? Right, he scored in the only world championship that England has... no wonder no one knows him.

2. I do care. As well as many other people.

3. You guys are still trying to catch him in the second goal of Mexico 86.

4. Maradona was more for Argentina than Pele was for Brazil.

Now you can keep on crying... maybe in the future England will have a player of his greatness... for now, all you have is Beckham.

:tsk:

your ignorance of football seems to know no bounds, who is Sir Geoff Hurst?, all we have is Beckham, what about Lampard, Terry, Owen, Gerrard, & of course the one and only Wayne Rooney, I sincerely hope England meet the argies in Germany next year, knocking the Cheats out of another World Cup will be so SWEET!!!

Rooney aka the talentless fat bastard.

England will lose, as usual. They won in 1966 thanks to referees. 1966 was an accident in the football History.

guill said:

England will lose, as usual. They won in 1966 thanks to referees. 1966 was an accident in the football History.

do you seriously think that wayne rooney is talentless? really? get your head out of the sand.

guill said:

does the sun always shine, with fluffy white clouds rolling gently by in that strange world you inhabit?

jimmmm said:
your ignorance of football seems to know no bounds, who is Sir Geoff Hurst?, all we have is Beckham, what about Lampard, Terry, Owen, Gerrard, & of course the one and only Wayne Rooney, I sincerely hope England meet the argies in Germany next year, knocking the Cheats out of another World Cup will be so SWEET!!!

Good luck! Hopefully you will make it through the second round when you will have a tough time against Togo.

If all your hopes for this World Cup rely on Wayne Rooney then you will have a really tough time... in any event, I hope we meet each other again... and we can play fair and square, with no hands of God and invented penalty kicks like the one in the last World Cup.

Back
Top Bottom