Allergy Hell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

one4u2

ONE love, blood, life
I am in my own personal hell for the past few days- My eyes are swollen and red, my ears are clogged and I feel like my head is going to :combust: This completely sucks!! I was sick before the NJ show Tuesday now this before tomorrow at MSG! :help: I have to be better for :bono: tomorrow :sad:

Any suggestions with keeping in mind I have horrible side effects to medications?

Last edited:
Allergies suck ass! :sad: I'm so sorry you're not feeling 100% before the concert.

Have you tried Allegra and those allergy medications? They tend to relieve some of the symptoms for me anyway, but you said you have bad reactions to medications so I'm not sure.

Advil Cold and Sinus, although not specific to allergies, still works wonders for anything in the head region in my opinion!

Get a good sleep and bring kleenex and the like. Feel better for tomorrow! :hug:

Get some Allergy Visine.

I didn't get allergies until last year....I woke up one morning and couldn't even open my eyes they were that bad. I thought I had pink eye or something and freaked. I needed to get special eye drops AND take medicine ontop of that. Holy hell allergies suck. :crack:

FlyYourKite said:
Allergies suck ass! :sad: I'm so sorry you're not feeling 100% before the concert.

Have you tried Allegra and those allergy medications? They tend to relieve some of the symptoms for me anyway, but you said you have bad reactions to medications so I'm not sure.

Advil Cold and Sinus, although not specific to allergies, still works wonders for anything in the head region in my opinion!

Get a good sleep and bring kleenex and the like. Feel better for tomorrow! :hug:

I took clarinex today, didn't help much and made me tired. I can't get a drs appointment until Monday so I asked the pharmacist what to do and she recomended claritin D non drowsy, but I'm too afraid to take it tomorrow :scream:

one4u2 said:

I took clarinex today, didn't help much and made me tired. I can't get a drs appointment until Monday so I asked the pharmacist what to do and she recomended claritin D non drowsy, but I'm too afraid to take it tomorrow :scream:

Hmm you should be ok with the non-drowsy but I can understand your anxiety! Maybe try it early tomorrow morning and see how it goes...at least then you'll know how it'll affect you before the concert. But if you have GAs then maybe that's not such a good idea :scratch:

Wow, I'm no help at all :wink:

FlyYourKite said:

Hmm you should be ok with the non-drowsy but I can understand your anxiety! Maybe try it early tomorrow morning and see how it goes...at least then you'll know how it'll affect you before the concert. But if you have GAs then maybe that's not such a good idea :scratch:

Wow, I'm no help at all :wink:

Thank god I don't have GAs :reject: I would not be able to function! But I guess I'll try one in the morning :hug:

starsgoblue said:
Get some Allergy Visine.

I didn't get allergies until last year....I woke up one morning and couldn't even open my eyes they were that bad. I thought I had pink eye or something and freaked.

Sounds like me. I haven't had an eye infection since I was four....until recently. I've had three of them in the past few months and have basically had a sinus infection since the end of January. I used the antibiotic eye ointment and I'm still waking up with green goo all over my face and my eye glued shut. I've been to the Dr. a few times with no real results. My mom is convinced I'm finally getting allergies and might be allergic to my cats, which sucks b/c I'm NOT getting rid of them.

starsgoblue said:
Try allergy eyedrops....even the OTC stuff works well

OK, yeah, I did get this generic stuff, but haven't used it much since I've been needing to wear my contacts for finals and such. Maybe now I'll put it in every night after my contacts are out and see if it helps. I've noticed that even though my eyes aren't as goopy in the morning as they have been all winter/spring, they feel really dry when I first close them and try to go to sleep.

one4u2 said:

Claritin D is good stuff. Be not afraid.

one4u2 said:
I am in my own personal hell for the past few days- My eyes are swollen and red, my ears are clogged and I feel like my head is going to :combust: This completely sucks!! I was sick before the NJ show Tuesday now this before tomorrow at MSG! :help: I have to be better for :bono: tomorrow :sad:

Any suggestions with keeping in mind I have horrible side effects to medications?

I hope this helps.....
Ever since my wife bought me an air purifier, my days of having allergies are gone! These things truly work, however you must buy a good one.....the one I got cost about $450+, I think.
But it's the best thing we've purchased.........since Tivo, of course:wink:
Feel better.....

I'm in allergy hell, I've got a runny nose, which is giving me a post-nasal drip, which is giving me a cough.........ugh. It's not fun.

I took that clariton d and it made me crazy!I couldnt sleep the whole night and my heart was pounding,and i looked on the back of the box and it listed those symptoms as warnings you should discontinue use. So i just have to deal with my allergies i guess.

I've been dying for a month now, and my doctor doesnt have any openings until next week, so I've been trying claratin d and I hate it. first of all it doesnt work and second it makes me hyper.

I hate trees and grass right now.
this is me throughout the day:

:sad: :der: :sick: :yawn:

Allergies do bite...personally I use Zyrtec. It is also a non-drowsy and I think it works better than Claritin, but it usually isn't covered under your formulary. They also make a good allergy eye drop your Doc can prescribe. If it is weeks before you can get in to see the Doc, call the triage nurse line and tell her what it is you are experiencing and what you need. Almost all Doctor's offices keep acute appointments open for people that need to be seen same day that can only be filled within 24 hours.

Everyone is somewhat reactive to dust-mites, molds and spores it just depends on how much you can handle. This year we have a heavy pollen count due to the rain we had the last couple of months.

If you are hyper it is the 'D' component pseudoephedrine. Try regular claritin and only use the claritin D if you are congested.

I suggest. Avoid going out for long times when pollen is high..usually in the morning and when it is windy. Keep your windows closed. Run the air-conditioning if available and change your filter (often). Wash your blankets and pillows. Check to see that your fireplace damper is closed. Shower when you come inside and change your clothing. Remember to bathe your pets too...dander is a No. 1 allergen so if you frequently brave getting the cat wet it helps reduce this and Fido can bring in pollen when he goes out to do his duty. Remove feather pillows and things you might be allergic to from hotel rooms if you travel. I also suggest the non-smoking rooms and restaurants.

Last edited:
So as for an update: Took the claritin D early in the morning before the MSG show and I felt like jogging across the border! I couldn't fall back asleep for the life of me and I' finally saw the doctor today and he said never take anything with "D" it makes people jittery :huh:

Thanks for all your suggestions , this forum is a plethora of info :wink:

Back
Top Bottom