All Things Australia-ish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on how you perceive Australian society/culture, *I* don't fit into it, and I'm Anglo. Beer-drinking and sports, ugh.

I'm guessing this used to be the "Let's Talk About Australia" thread?

Well, there's at least one positive to come out of that:

And while one in 10 may still sound like one too many, it seemed to me that these statistics suggested that Australia must surely be one of the least racist countries in the world. I rang Professor Kevin Dunn, one of the chief researchers, and asked him if this was correct. His response was galvanising. He and his team had asked this very question, and comparative studies confirmed that Australia did indeed fare well. In parts of western Europe, three in 10 people were racists, and the figure was higher in parts of eastern Europe. The only place Dunn had found that was less racist than Australia (and then only a little less so), was Canada.

I don't entirely trust this, but then again I'm not doing the studies.

I also wonder why Victoria tended to fare a bit better than average in the test, I figured it may have something to do with the fact that Melburnians are perhaps more familiar with racist violence making the news (not that it doesn't happen in other states) in recent years, and most realise how shitty it is. But then again, the worst violence of the lot happened in Sydney...

i think if another election were held right now Abbott would win in a fucking landslide.

Which is beyond my comprehension, given almost everything he is doing is utterly moronic and the Coalition is tearing itself apart with its self-righteous indignation that it didn't win last year's election (a form of indignation that is just making the independents less likely to support them in future).

How anybody can think Tony Abbott is fit to govern a chook raffle, let alone the country, is utterly beyond me.

Abbot, and the support for him, is unbelievable.

The thing that's really pissing me off lately is the lack of an 18+ rating for video games, though. It isn't about playing the games personally, it's just a basic violation of adult rights, and then you've got completely arbitrary passes like God of War 3 (decapitate people with your own hands!), Heavy Rain (chop off your finger with scissors!) and Duke Nukem Forever (everything!) somehow slipping into the 15+ rating, whereas a goddamn graffiti game gets banned. Fuckin' dinosaurs running this country, man.

I'm fairly resigned to the Libs winning the next election ... I'm just desperately hoping somebody palatable like Malcolm Turnbull swipes Tony Abbott's position beforehand.

Went to see Il Dago at the Fringe on Saturday. We got to laugh ourselves stoopid at all the woggy things we do and then point and laugh at skips.

That's Australian, innit?

^ :tsk: . . . :wink:

I have been paying no attention whatsoever to politics Australian style of late ~ it's been beyond the pail for so very long I've made like an ostrich really

as far as i can see, no one is really worthy at all ~ Julia could be if she wasn't shackled by unions and factions and all that other nonsense; Tony Abbott just doesn't bare considering (jeez . . . he is, apparently, a rather nice fellow but he doesn't come across as having a shred of dignity) . . . and apparently I am voting for a new State government here in messed up ole NSW in less than a month . . . :doh: :gah: . . . wake me up when it's all over pliz :sick:

Tony Abbott needs to fire whoever it is who does his media/PR.

If he wants to win the next election:

1. Quit with the budgie smugglers. You ain't Ian Thorpe and it is a very bad look!
2. Quit with the photos which make your wife and daughters look like they walk 5 paces behind and cowtow to your every whim.
3. Stop telling me what is wrong with Julia and the labor party and start telling me what the freaking Libs are going to do to fix (a) climate change issues, (b) health, (c) education and (d) how we can pay for it in an equitable manner.

Don't give me the claptrap about the cost of carbon tax or the one off payment for the floods. Start being a grown up and start treating the rest of us like we have a brain instead of the morons that you think we are.

Unfortunately, I can't see that happening and I agree, Julia (who is doing a reasonable job) is hampered by the factions within the labor party which need a good kick up the backside.

Tony Abbott needs to fire whoever it is who does his media/PR.

Actually, judging by the opinion polls, I think Julia Gillard needs to hire them. It seems that whatever I think is an act of blithering stupidity and complete incompetence by Abbott is in fact going down a treat with a troublingly large part of the electorate. I'm starting to fear that the reason the Libs (and, let's be honest, the ALP to a fair extent) have decided to treat everybody like morons is because the electorate is sufficiently moronic that you can win an election that way. :slant:

Actually, judging by the opinion polls, I think Julia Gillard needs to hire them. It seems that whatever I think is an act of blithering stupidity and complete incompetence by Abbott is in fact going down a treat with a troublingly large part of the electorate. I'm starting to fear that the reason the Libs (and, let's be honest, the ALP to a fair extent) have decided to treat everybody like morons is because the electorate is sufficiently moronic that you can win an election that way. :slant:

And now Pauline is baaaaccccckkkkkkk :cute:

I wish I lived in NSW so I could wave leftist propaganda flags outside her house. :sigh:

And now Pauline is baaaaccccckkkkkkk :cute:

What happened to her "I'm going to England!!!!11!11" thing? Because I wish she HAD fucked off and stayed fucked off.

this . . . she is just bleuch, in every shade imaginable

I wish I lived in NSW so I could wave leftist propaganda flags outside her house. :sigh:

ah shit, really? any ideas where? I have a couple of old shoes that would fit nicely in her mouth :wink:

Fingers crossed it can be reintroduced to the fam.

where there's a will, there's a way right :D

and in other exciting news, the bastion of australian male bonding and veritable smorgasbord of class-ay light entertainment, otherwise known as The Footy Show, is back :hyper: :|

Thank god the footy season's almost upon us and we can have footy headlines about ACTUAL GAMES rather than the fucking soap opera that is Fevola & Duthie fighting it out for media coverage (coming soon in twenty 30 minute installments to Channel 10).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom