"Alexander" Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Despite all the terrible reviews, I decided to still go and watch it this weekend...

Terrible, I must say... extremely long and pointless. I was hoping for the new 'Gladiator' (the plot had potential) but I ended up extremely bored in a really long story about Alexander's unusual personality.

A true waste of a potentially great movie. I do not know what Oliver Stone was thinking.

then go see russian ark! all the fun and excitement one could ever want!

walk, don't run, to a theatre near you!

Zoomerang96 said:
then go see russian ark! all the fun and excitement one could ever want!

walk, don't run, to a theatre near you!

I actually went to see that movie in a theater some 2 years ago. I could have spent my money with something else. I mean it's not so bad but what fuck was going on there?! :madspit:

Yeah, it's bad. And I'm a Stone fan, so I could tell exactly what he was thinking. It was spelled out during the epilogue.

He wanted to make a movie about a guy who wanted to bring the world together, make borders irrelevant, and have everyone live under one culture in peace and happiness forever, but who failed through a combination of a) his own megolomania, and b) (more so) the disloyalty and shortsightedness of others.

But, yeah ... it's bad.

I thought about starting a thread about how boring and disappointing this film was, but I secretly hoped ignoring it would be more justice. Stone is such an amazing filmmaker and if this film continues to get bad word of mouth, it could hurt his chances at making the next 'big thing'

Rats! I've read Plutarch's bio on Alexander and thought it was interesting (I'm such a geek) so I was looking forward to it, but it sounds like a waste of $$$. :(

I wanted to see it because it looked so bad. I might go with a friend. I loathe Colin Farrell though.

I hear the sex scenes are kinda hot (even without Little Colin!)

TheBrazilianFly said:

I actually went to see that movie in a theater some 2 years ago. I could have spent my money with something else. I mean it's not so bad but what fuck was going on there?! :madspit:

um, i was kidding. i don't think there's more than three people here who'd like this film, but i'm certainly one of them.

if you don't get it, that's fine. only some of us elite folk would have the mind to. :wink:

Zoomerang96 said:

um, i was kidding. i don't think there's more than three people here who'd like this film, but i'm certainly one of them.

if you don't get it, that's fine. only some of us elite folk would have the mind to. :wink:

It is a good film but damn....... :crack: I mean where was Bruce Willis and the explosions?!!? I mean there wasen't even a villain with an eyepatch or a laser gun or something! But there was a ghost or two there! :lol:

Elites suck!!!! :madspit:

:wink:

Last edited:
Muggsy said:
I knew that was a crappy movie since i saw Farrell's blonde hair :huh:

Oh yeah, that hair is horrid! I've only seen clips, but the hair was just revolting. Kinda like some awful 80's flashback hair... :eek:

I'm sure I will see it eventually because the US Marines here get semi-current releases a few months after they are out. They show them at their "house" and invite all the expats that want to go...sometimes my boyfriend and I go because hey, it's free and it's in English!

I am a Stone fan, may not agree with them from a historical perspective but they are good films - Alexander certainly did suck though.

well i just got in from seeing it, and i may be alone in this, but i actually somewhat enjoyed it.

it certainly was no Gladiator or Troy, but then again, it wasn't really meant to be. i think with the story of Alexander people come to expect massive epic battle scenes through the whole film, when in reality there were only two to speak of. the focus was on Alexander's personal life, something that never really is spoken about in history books.

i found it very interesting. it does seem to be a movie that you really should know a bit of Greek history before you go see it though. otherwise you would probably be very confused.

it was a bit long, and the scenes with ptolemy at the beginning and end seemed a little drawn out.

i did enjoy it though (so did my dad). i guess it's just meant more for certain people than others.

i think the weight of expectations on this movie to be high-action and epic battles somewhat did it in.

i'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars if i had to rate it. :up:

Yahoo reviewers always have something amusing to say

a good laugh for a bad movie
by saucsahuaman (movies profile) Nov 24, 2004
785 of 1098 people found this review helpful

where to start, I watched this movie with a very diverse crowd and we all could not help but to laugh at the diolog, acting and overall the horrible movie we were watching. The only part of the movie that was watchable was when there was a battle going on, but you could save your money and just watch the battles from Lord of the Rings since they were somewhat similar and better. Also,the recreation of Mesopotamia was pretty good. Besides that, the acting was sooo bad that during certain scenes that were supposed to be dramatic, they became funny because they were so over acted and ridiculous. You know its a bad movie when you and half the theater laughs when someone is dying in the movie.

"You know its a bad movie when you and half the theater laughs when someone is dying in the movie."

Ain't that the truth.

Back
Top Bottom