Albums That You Grew Up On

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
For me, they include:

Bryan Adams - Wakin Up the Neighbors (anyone have this? It's awesome!)

Bob Seger - The Bob Seger Collection

AC/DC - Back in Black

These are the main three. If anyone has WUtN or TBSC please talk about it!

The albums I grew up on were:

1960's:

The Monkees
Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends
Yesterday and today - The Beatles
Twist and shout - the beatles
Revolver/Rubber soul - the beatles

1970's

Saturday night fever - soundtrack
Grease - soundtrack
Atlantic Crossing - Rod Stewart
In The court of the crimson king - King Crimson
Hush - Deep purple
Deep purple in rock - deep purple

++++

Thanks for this thread.....nice memories.

I listened to mostly oldies radio as a kid. The first cd I bought was R.E.M.'s 'Out of Time' .

I grew up listening to bob marley, depeche mode, bob dylan and REM through my parents influences and i grew up in the 90's.

My parents, especially my mom, adored Huey Lewis and The News...I remember listening to a lot of them as a child. I still love their songs. :heart:

My mum played Carole King's 'Tapestry' every night at bed time - so I have that ingrained in my brain and I don't mind at all!

Umm Billy Joel, Frank Sinatra, classical music and Adiemus, weird new age world music which I still love:D

Gosh, people have families with fairly decent music tastes.:ohmy:

Boney M - Nighflight to Venus - I loved the robotic voice at the beginning :love:

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love, ABBA - various albums from listening in to my sisters music.

Queen, The Fureys, The Dubliners
Lots of country stuff 'cos of my dad - I particularly remember Glen Campbell - Witchita Lineman because I thought it was a strange name for an album when I was a child. :huh:

James Last stuff too - I heard the damn James Last orchestra on several car journeys going on holiday to the Isle Of Wight as a youngster :slant:

The first record I ever recall asking for was Star Trekkin' by The Firm. I got it for a birthday present :)

I remember listening to:

Queen, Boney M, Bruce Springsteen, Dire Straits, Roy Orbison, Beach Boys

:wink:

my parents never listen/listened to music, lol

so i dont remember hearing much music...

that said i do remember a few specific songs:

Oasis - Wonderwall & Cum On Feel The Noize

Robbie Williams - Let me entertain you

Chumbawamba - Tubthumping

Blur - Song 2

that's what i can think of at the moment.

I grew up on my parents' music. Don't we all? I can't really remember every album of theirs I enjoyed because they had a rather impressive cassette/CD collection at the time, but here are a few that I can vividly recall sitting down with.

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack * / A Night At The Opera
Pink Floyd - The Wall / The Final Cut
CCR - Green River / Bayou Country
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
ABBA - Gold

* I played tennis racquet guitar to this album.

Then there was that scary period when I began Discovering Music For Myself™. This included a brief interlude with Aqua, Chumbawamba, and The Offspring. I have a feeling I should have never strayed from my parents' stuff in the first place because I've ultimately returned to most of it.

GibsonGirl said:
I grew up on my parents' music. Don't we all? I can't really remember every album of theirs I enjoyed because they had a rather impressive cassette/CD collection at the time, but here are a few that I can vividly recall sitting down with.

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack * / A Night At The Opera
Pink Floyd - The Wall / The Final Cut
CCR - Green River / Bayou Country
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
ABBA - Gold

* I played tennis racquet guitar to this album.

Then there was that scary period when I began Discovering Music For Myself™. This included a brief interlude with Aqua, Chumbawamba, and The Offspring. I have a feeling I should have never strayed from my parents' stuff in the first place because I've ultimately returned to most of it.

I commend you for admitting to liking ABBA. ABBA is good. It shouldn't be such an 'embarassing' thing to like ABBA. I will, however, be the first to admit that they didn't do themselves any favors by wearing certain kinds of clothing in the 70s.

I was obsessed with ABBA from about 3-6; obsessed with Bruce Springsteen from about 8-11; obsessed with Guns N' Roses from about 15-18; and obsessed with U2 from about 18 til today, at 32.

I dislike Bob Seger, always have. Sorry COBL_04.

What I can remember from the 70s...

Beatles 1962-1966 (red) and Beatles 1967-1970 (blue)
Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack
Grease Soundtrack
Bee Gees
Chicago

that is of course if you call music that you grew up with being your teenage years...

When I was really young I listened to the Dixie Dregs and Jethro Tull... now I can barely remember what they sound like :huh: but in third grade I heard the song Discotheque, so from that point forward I grew up on U2 :wink:

My dad would also play his CDs (and still does)... Velvet Underground, Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, motown...good stuff :drool: and I listened a lot to the music he made. he wrote great songs. still does.

I did go through my boy band/pop music period around 5th grade... so I did listen to Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears and all that for awhile. Basically until ATYCLB came out and reminded me why U2 was my favourite band. From that point forward I've had brilliant taste in music :D

namkcuR said:

I commend you for admitting to liking ABBA. ABBA is good. It shouldn't be such an 'embarassing' thing to like ABBA. I will, however, be the first to admit that they didn't do themselves any favors by wearing certain kinds of clothing in the 70s.

I feel the same way. There used to be a time when I was ashamed for liking ABBA, but I simply can't deny the fact that they created nearly perfect pop melodies. And with all the depressing music I listen to, it's always nice to put on some ABBA to lighten up the mood.

But yes, they really weren't doing themselves any favours:

nobjorn.jpg

Why, Bjorn, why? :no: Dungarees and platforms...

Last edited:
I grew up in my very early years on a healthy diet of early Beatles, early Beach Boys and Status Quo :wink: - "Rockin' All Over The World" :rockon:

Britpop and all that started happening when i was about 10 or 11 so i loved Oasis, Pulp and Blur.

(What's the Story?) Morning Glory was probably THE album that i grew up on if i had to choose one :drool:

Genesis - invisible touch
ABBA - I do believe all of 'em
Boney M - far too young to recall the exact album(s).
Def Leppard - hysteria
Bon Jovi - slippery when wet
m. jackson - off the wall, bad, thriller
nwa - straight outta compton (oh, the shame!)
brian adams - the one with "heaven"
Andrew Lloyd's stuff - starlight express, evita, cats
george michael - faith

and really badly put together radio mixes on cassette (remember those?)
Oh, I vaguely recall 8 tracks as well in dad's olds

The first time I heard U2 was when I was 13 on holiday in Greece - the video for all I want is you would keep playing on heavy rotation all day, damn annoyingly too. Only five years later was I introduced formally to Achtung.

Oh yeah;
crooners pa used to always have on - humperdink (sp?), sinatra, boone, tom jones

The Sweet, Slade, T-Rex, early Roxy Music, Gary Glitter, Rod Stewart, Abba, Wizzard, The Supremes, Cockney Rebel, Sparks, Bowie Bowie Bowie (Ziggy, Aladdin era), Queen

Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
Tom Petty - Wildflowers
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
Barenaked Ladies - Gordon
the Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
Our Lady Peace - Clumsy

Keeping in mind I was 10 years old in 1994 and all. :shifty:

The Who- Whoo's Next, Tommy, Quadrophenia
Led Zep - III, IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti
Pink Floyd- Dark Side, Animals, Wish you Were Here. Final Cut
The Kinks - Best of, Live
The Beatles - Red, White, Blue Albums, Rubber Soul