Albums critics/fans worship that you can't stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blueyedpoet said:
RE: Nirvana

I really suggest watching VH1's Classic Album's about Nevermind. Aside from having the ability to write instantly catchy songs, there's a lot more to Nirvana's music.
For instance, how many singers can "scream" completely in tune? Furthermore, the vocal melodies in their songs are undeniable. They rarely, if ever, feel forced, and just flow with the music.
I'm also a fan Krist's bass tone. It's big and bold, yet it doesn't overpower the song.
Each of the members played their instruments to serve the song - a very song oriented band, still a band greater than the sum of it's parts.

I agree with this lovely assessment as well...
I was never into Nirvana when they were "big"...now I've been listening to the stuff on the "With the lights out" compilation, on which there are a lot of acoustic versions of their work, and I'm finding it pretty compelling. So sad about Kurt. He had a powerful and expressive and complex voice, and there is a lot there to listen to.
Maybe the acoustic versions will make some of it more 'accessible' to people who don't like loud music. Hearing it all first that way, anyhow.
And I can listen (and did last night) to Smells like Teen Spirit over and over...

cheers!

Lancemc said:
If you want to see the appeal of R.E.M. just listen to "I Believe" which is on Life's Rich Pageant. Everything great about this band packed into one short amaing morsel of heaven. :drool:

I looooooooooove Life's Rich Pageant!

I agree that Jeff Buckley's Grace and Radiohead's OK Computer are overrated

I'd also add Sigur Ross to that list

not that any of them are bad music, but it sort of bores me after a while

SpaceOddity said:
I'd have to say R.E.M. I like a couple of their songs, but the rest? Not so much. Try as I might, I just can't get into them. Their sound is so dull.

Agree. I do like a few of their songs (Losing My Religion is worthy of its praise) but I've gotten a few of their albums and I just can't really get into them. they're not an awful band (though the song Everybody Hurts... :yuck: ), they're just boring.

oh, and anything by Dave Matthews Band. never got why they were such a big deal.

Nirvana is overrated, but I still like them, and they did impact music a lot.

I've always felt the Stones were overrated. Blasphemous, I know.

White Light/White Heat by The Velvet Underground is overrated in comparison to their other albums.

Abbey Road is overrated. Yep, I really said it :wink: it's not that I don't think it's great, but Rubber Soul, the White Album, Let It Be...Naked, Sgt. Pepper's, and Revolver are all better imo :shrug:

AtomicBono said:
Nirvana is overrated, but I still like them, and they did impact music a lot.

But, was it impact in a good way? Every time I hear Nicleback, for example, I'm amazed at how that band (and a million others) have built a career by copying the song structure and vocalization in Nirvana's biggest hit, Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Salome said:
I agree that Jeff Buckley's Grace and Radiohead's OK Computer are overrated

I'd also add Sigur Ross to that list

not that any of them are bad music, but it sort of bores me after a while

Interestingly, these three are interconnected, in terms of influencing each other. I guess it ultimately comes down to taste--I'd actually argue that Sigur Rós are underrated.

Dave Matthews. Critics love him, but he's another I can't get into.

angelordevil said:

But, was it impact in a good way? Every time I hear Nicleback, for example, I'm amazed at how that band (and a million others) have built a career by copying the song structure and vocalization in Nirvana's biggest hit, Smells Like Teen Spirit.

yeah, I wouldn't say all their impact was positive. I'm sure there have been good bands influenced by Nirvana, but there are plenty more awful grunge wannabes. and kurt did have something special going but when other singers try to sound like him it's painful :yikes:

Wow, never thought I'd see anti-Radiohead and anti-Beatles sentiment so well consolidated on one thread.

I'm still trying to grow into the last two Mars Volta releases, which I bought because I love them live and what they're trying to do.

Every early REM is great, supremely great, up until the latter albums I like so little that I cannot even remember the names.

TVOTR is a difficult listen at first, but damn, once it gets inside you :drool:

angelordevil said:

Dave Matthews. Critics love him, but he's another I can't get into.

I'm not sure that Matthews has ever been a critics' darling. I am a fan of his, and I have seen even his strongest albums thoroughly critiqued.

Last edited:
Anu said:
Wow, never thought I'd see anti-Radiohead and anti-Beatles sentiment so well consolidated on one thread.

If my saying that the White Album is overrated has anything to do with this anti-Beatles sentiment, I must say that no one should consider it an actual Beatles album...it's more like 4 really crappy solo albums pasted together. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

If my saying that the White Album is overrated has anything to do with this anti-Beatles sentiment, I must say that no one should consider it an actual Beatles album...it's more like 4 really crappy solo albums pasted together. :wink:

please stop posting.

xaviMF22 said:

please never talk to me again. :wink:
itburnsza7.jpg

also, OK Computer overrated?

I don't know, it's one of THE albums ever produced. this album could compete with any other album by any other artist. it takes you on such an amazing journey right from airbag to the tourist.

LemonMelon said:

Take it easy Champ, how 'bout you stop talking for a while? :wink:

I think it's one of the best double albums ever.

Up there with The Wall, London Calling, Blonde on Blonde...

the white album shits all over the wall, london calling and blonde on blonde.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Take it easy Champ, how 'bout you stop talking for a while? :wink:

I think it's one of the best double albums ever.

Up there with The Wall, London Calling, Blonde on Blonde...

:| Can you explain to me why I should consider the White Album even worth mentioning in the same context as Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, or Abbey Road (the greatest rock album ever made)? None of those albums had filler. The entire first side of the White Album is filler (outside of Back In The USSR, Dear Prudence, and Blackbird)

And what's with all this "OK Computer is overrated" stuff? I can handle one person thinking that, but 5 or 6... :crack:

U2Man said:
a thread with both beatles and radiohead anti-sentiment :barf:

There's no anti-Beatles sentiment; one person disliked Let It Be, and one disliked the White Album. That's all.

Now, there definitely is some negativity being thrown around towards Radiohead though. :crack:

LemonMelon said:

:| Can you explain to me why I should consider the White Album even worth mentioning in the same context as Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, or Abbey Road (the greatest rock album ever made)? None of those albums had filler. The entire first side of the White Album is filler (outside of Back In The USSR, Dear Prudence, and Blackbird)

And what's with all this "OK Computer is overrated" stuff? I can handle one person thinking that, but 5 or 6... :crack:

Helter Skelter? Glass Onion? Dear Prudence? Don't Pass Me By? Mother Nature's Son? Sexy Sadie? Julia?

and probably the Beatles' most underrated gem: I'm So Tired.

I do agree it's not one of the best Beatles' albums, but it beats most of what else is out there.

In my opinion:

1. Revolver
2. Abbey Road
3. Sgt. Pepper
4. Rubber Soul
5. The White Album

I can understand the Radiohead hating, not everyone can love Thom's voice you know? :wink:

But yeah, OK Computer is my 3rd favorite RH album behind Kid A and The Bends.

My Beatles top 5:

1. Abbey Road
2. Magical Mystery Tour
3. Rubber Soul
4. Sgt. Pepper
5. Revolver

LemonMelon said:
My Beatles top 5:

1. Abbey Road
2. Magical Mystery Tour
3. Rubber Soul
4. Sgt. Pepper
5. Revolver

I always considered Magical Mystery Tour to be a series of EPs and stuff, but the material is amazing nonetheless.

Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane should have been on Sgt. Pepper.

Then it would be my favorite Beatles album, but Revolver is too fucking mindblowing.

Really, the band that just released Rubber Soul releases fucking Revolver.

That 180 makes Rattle and Hum -> Achtung Baby look like the change between Nickelback albums.

The Bends - Radiohead.....

It's boring....hard to believe that the same band that gave us the classics Ok Computer and Kid A and the very decent Hail to the Thief could release such an average-at-best album.

The Bends-era b-sides are better than the album itself. In fact, the b-sides from the Ok Computer era and the Kid Amnesiac era are better than The Bends.

Just personal taste of course, but I cannot comprehend how anyone could prefer The Bends over Oasis' (What's The Story) Morning Glory...

White Album is amazing because there is so much to hear....

George shines, my favourite tracks from the album are Long Long Long, Piggies, and Savoy Truffle...all George compositions...

corianderstem said:
I like some of Dylans's stuff (Like a Rolling Stone, A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall, some other tracks), and really liked his latest album, but I don't think he's the end-all, be-all.

That being said, I have loads of respect for him. I just don't care to sit around and listen to a lot of that nasal drone.

Dylan's my favorite artist so it hurts so see a lot of people calling him overrated here, but as long as you still respect what he does, then its alright with me

Back
Top Bottom