Ah i love st. louis cards.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
I've been a fan since i was born (almost) 18 years ago, and this season is just rockin'. I pull for 2 teams, St. Louis and anyone playing the Yanks. I only hope the Cards can keep up their streak all the way through the series! any thoughts?

Cardinals - best team in baseball at this moment - If they can stay healthy (pitchers included - please) yes, I can see a fall series with the Yankees. the Cardinals need to win the series before the old Busch Stadium is torn down - this is the year. Plus I want to go a friggin' series game, sit back enjoy my budweiser product and see the Cards win

GO CARDS!

Plus being a girl - I really like the way the uniforms look on the boys:wink:

Gotta agree. I've been at their last 18 home games and the stadium is just insane these days....there isn't even standing room availiable.

Hope they can pull it off......they tend to suck in 7 game series but they are better now then the '82 team so we'll see!!!!!!

and yes while they have sucked in 7 game series in the recent past (2000, 2002 nlcs),this team blows those 2 out of the water. the sp is far better as a unit, the bullpen is awesome, and the lineup isn't even comparable.

it would be fantastic if morris started pitching like he can though, he's been a complete wreck this year.

they'll get back to the series this year

this is my kind of thread

their last 18 home games?? thats pretty sweet

ive been to like 5 games the past couple weeks and i thought that was impressive

i pull for the cardinals and anyone playing the cubs

i just cant wait for the playoffs to start. being at busch in october for the playoffs is just an amazing experience, ive missed the past couple times due to being at school, but im definitely there this year.

whats great about the cardinals too is they are not only great players, but great guys as well. it really makes rooting for them that much better.

this is pretty cool

After Friday's doubleheader sweep of the Pirates, the Cardinals are 53-19 since the end of May.

In looking at records from June 1 until the end of the regular season, and going back to 1901, only two major-league teams had a better winning percentage than the Cardinals' .736.

Obviously, the Cardinals must maintain their pace through 162 games. But in research provided by Jim Henzler of STATS Inc., the Cardinals are in a streak of historical proportions.

Here's the list of the top 10 records from June 1 until the end of the season:

1906 Cubs .806 (87-21)

1909 Pirates .739 (85-30)

2004 Cardinals .736 (53-19)

1954 Indians .735 (83-30)

1927 Yankees .732 (82-30)

1942 Cardinals .730 (81-30)

1994 Expos .719 (46-18; the strike ended the season in August)

1919 Reds .716 (78-31)

2002 Athletics .716 (78-31)

1902 Pirates .709 (73-30)

I think the team record for wins is 106, so they can break it by winning 107 this year... 81 wins right now, and there are 39 left. 26 wins would grab the team record for wins, and they play :

1 Pirates Game
3 Against the Reds
3 Against the Pirates
3 Against the Padres
3 Against the Dodgers
3 Against the Padres
3 Against the Dodgers
3 Against the Astros
3 Against the Diamondbacks
4 Against the Brewers
3 Against the Rockies
3 Against the Astros
4 Against the Brewers

attainable i think.

i've never been to busch in my life, kinda tough when you live nowhere near st louis, but i do go see them at shea every year, got to see them in the 2000 nlcs against the mets, game 3, the only game they won, and i will be at busch this year for the world series when they get there.

and yes, they are pretty good people too. when i was at bp at shea earlier in may, all the players talked to everyone or at least acknowledged them, especially kline who i got my picture taken with and autograph, reggie sanders, king and tavarez. they were chattin it up with everyone

Its great to see all this optimism about the cards. They really are on a great roll!
nurse chrissi, as a girl i also like the uniforms, Edmonds is my favorite. :drool:
aside from my infatuation, i'm psyched about this team!

you saw a good game today, another grand slam for walker, he has been quite the addition.

i dont have season tickets or anything but seem to always get free tickets. ive gotten quite a few tickets through my company, their party box, and also field box seats about 20 rows behind the cards dugout, so those are pretty good.

plus my dad is a doctor and he gets tickets from drug companies as well as patients, and they are usually good as well. ive been in the green seats about 6 or 7 times this year.

i just home some of these tickets will come through for the playoffs, but im going to take a day off of work and camp out at the box office with some friends to guarentee seats for that as well.

i think matheny is a dreamboat.

well, standing in line for series tickets will be good practice for the eventual GA line at Savvis - you know on the 5th leg of the u2 tour....
Rollins is a dreamboat :)
but chizip - you have good taste in Matheny
:wink:

Hey Chiz....shoot me an email or a PM when tix go on sale. I'll have two tix for you if you want them. I can leave them at the press box will call window for you. Section 252....about 18 rows up from home plate. I'm not going to be able to make all the games and if you'd be interested, they are yours.

Rick Ankiel Update

His last outing at AA tennessee was tonight

his line

5 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K

He'll have one more start at AAA memphis before coming back up to the big club

his rehab stats so far

17.2ip 8h 2bb 18k 1.02era

not too shabby if you ask me

U2SavesTheWorld said:
Hey Chiz....shoot me an email or a PM when tix go on sale. I'll have two tix for you if you want them. I can leave them at the press box will call window for you. Section 252....about 18 rows up from home plate. I'm not going to be able to make all the games and if you'd be interested, they are yours.

:angry:

StlElevation said:
attainable i think.

you think? :D

This is a pretty exciting run! How many have they lost this month? 6? Unreal!!!

And Walker has been an outstanding addition (but I expected that).

I'm just saying...here I am...just a few miles (O.K. ...120), and I don't hear any offers.

:angry:

:uhoh:

WE ALL know they will be playing the Cubs!!!

:ohmy: :uhoh:

the magic number is down to 16

Ankiel is is being called up tomorrow

exciting times

i was at the game tonight

id almost wish theyd lose once in a while, all these wins are getting boring

if this hurricane postpones the cubs-marlins series it could make for interesting scheduling, cant bew good for the cubs or marlins

Last edited:
As a kid growing up in So CA in the 50's and 60's, I remember all the names...Stan the Man, McCarver, the Boyers, and Big Bob Gibson...I would love it if we had pitchers of Gibson's attitude toward this game...throws fast, throws hard, throws inside!!

By the way, I've lived in So Cal all my life and even though its been a just a few years ago, remind me of that Edmonds trade from the Angels...who went where...

Kent Bottenfield and Adam Kennedy to the Angels for Edmonds to the Cardinals

A great deal pulled off by Cards GM Walt Jocketty. Bottenfield was coming off a career year having won 15 or 16 games and his trade value was at his peak. Kennedy was a promising young second basemen, but the cardinals had Vina and wouldn't be able to use him.

I think Bottenfield got hurt and/or traded in his first year with the Angels, Kennedy is still playing there and is decent.

I love Edmonds, he is one of my favorite players to watch. When he is hot he is unbelievable, when he is not he is still making unblievable catches and throwing runners out at the plate. He may be a bit of a drama queen sometimes, but he is still amazing.

check this
Since June 1, through 8-31:

.351 average
27 homers
67 RBIs
.480 OB %
.800 SLG %
of his 83 hits during this spree, 44 are for extra bases.

that OPS of 1280 is Bonds-like.

that doesnt include the homer and rbi double he had last night

when edmonds hits, the cardinals win

his long hot streak has coincided with the cardinals unbelievable play. thats why i feel he should get serious consideration for the mvp.

Back
Top Bottom