AFI's new record heavily u2-influenced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfeden

Refugee
calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decembe
Decemberunderground has leaked, but will be in stores 6/6/06. Some songs are on Myspace and afireinside.net.

There's some stuff on this album that damn near bugged my eyes right out of my head as far as hearing such a strong u2 flavor in a place I didn't expect it. My God. Jade Puget is already an amazing guitarist... adding the Edge-tones is simply sublime....
The song The Missing Frame's entire structure hits you straight out of 1981, an unholy mix of Gloria and Like A Song... Kiss And Control's lead-in seems to be both homage and allusion to Bullet The Blue Sky, and an all-too-brief guitar solo in The Killing Lights instantly calls forth the Red Rocks version of The Electric Co.

This album isn't a total breakaway from their earlier work but an evolution.

Intriguing. Jade Puget is indeed a guitarist to be reckoned with. I was listening to one of their live songs the other day and damn near fell out of my chair at how awesome his guitar playing is. He has reminded me of Edge before, so I see what you're saying.

I cannot wait to hear this album. But other than listening to Miss Murder, I'm waiting to savor the official release. :drool:

I don't know. I heard the lead single(Miss Murder) and personally I thought it sucked. the songs on their myspace sound aweful too. AFI was once good but now they sound as if they're simply catering to the masses and not ina good way. their music sounds shallow now as if they're intentionally trying to fit in with the pop/punk thing that's going on now. It doesn't sound genuine to me. I'm actually really disapointed with the direction they've gone over the last two albums.

A band that actually sounds really good and has an obvious u2 influence is Tom Delonge's new band Angels and Airwaves. Unfortunately his singing still reaks of Blink 182

Hallucination said:
It doesn't sound genuine to me. I'm actually really disapointed with the direction they've gone over the last two albums.

They're grown men in their 30s, they're not gonna sound the same way they did when they put out Black Sails in The Sunset, which was when I first got into them.

I absolutely adored Sing the Sorrow, so I can see why you may be disenchanted with the direction they've gone.
However.
Decemberunderground is an evolution of that sound... once you head the entire album all the way through a few times, you realise that it's got nothing at all to do with any current trend at all....

There is some new exploration towards using electronics thanks to a collaboration with Ronan Harris of VNV Nation and it works extremely well.

The B-side to the exclusive Miss Murder single, a cover of INXS's "Don't Change" shocked the shit out of me at first. I totally expected them to hit it hard, with all of the 1982 original's energy that I grew to love on long car drives with Shabooh Shoobah in the tape deck... They took it and made it fragile and crystalline as glass. By the third listen i was over my "WTF??" and completely owned.

It's not for everyone. It's certainly not for people who think everything AFI has done since Jade Puget joined the band has sucked or been "the wrong direction". But give the record an honest listen when it drops, you might be surprised. You know better than to trust a Myspace compressed mp3 for quality.....

^ I'm glad to hear it :wink:

Is there anywhere I can download the album from? AFI are alright, I have a few of their older songs, but I'm not willing to buy the album....

Total U2 Nut said:

"Is there anywhere I can download the album from? AFI are alright, I have a few of their older songs, but I'm not willing to buy the album...."

Why in the name of all that's holy would I give you a free download link to a record (that's not even released yet) made by a band whose work I admire and support, who actually need the money?

You want to hear it? Buy it. Or fuck off.
Don't ever ask me for something like that.

Last edited:
wolfeden said:

Calm down! There's no need to be rude, and can you honestly tell me that you've never illegally downloaded something? :eyebrow: I seriously doubt it..

And come, on "they need the money" - yeah right. They're a pretty mainstream band, it's not as if they don't have a record deal on a major label....

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
My pants are heavily U2-influenced.

Stylin'!

bonopants.jpg

wolfeden said:

completely uncalled for....

however, thanks for the link and the info. I'm way too busy these days to keep up with new music by bands I like. I only find out stuff through this forum.

arw9797 said:

completely uncalled for....

seeing as the mods at this forum suspend people for requesting links to download u2's official releases, i think it was completely warrented.

i'll probably pick up this album eventually. miss murder is decent.

IWasBored said:

seeing as the mods at this forum suspend people for requesting links to download u2's official releases, i think it was completely warrented.

After re-reading my post, I figure it was pretty out of line, and I apologise...

However, telling someone to "buy it, or fuck off" is not warrented... but whatever, I'm not really too bothered :wink:

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
I barely caught that post but thank you - I lawl'd 4 real :drool:

:kiss:

Note that Bono's mouth is positioned where one's, ahem, asshole would normally be! Kidding, kidding. :wink:

Last edited:
IWasBored said:

It's good to have you back.

GibsonGirl said:

:kiss:

Note that Bono's mouth is positioned where one's, ahem, asshole would normally be! Kidding, kidding. :wink:
At first I thought it was over the zipper :laugh:

For anyone interested, you can pick up a limited edition picture disc vinyl single of "Miss Murder" at Hot Topic for $10. The A Side is "Miss Murder" and shows a picture of the band. The B Side is "Rabbits Are Roadkill on Route 37" and shows the rabbit circle symbol from the new album.

And for those of you too embarrassed to go to Hot Topic, you can order it online at their website. ;)

I picked up two copies yesterday (one for me and one for mofo), and it is quite the little piece of memorabilia. :up:

HeartlandGirl said:

I picked up two copies yesterday (one for me and one for mofo) :up:

:love:

I look forward to finding out what the whole rabbit related theme for the album (and that pre-album song) is!

u2popmofo said:

:love:

I look forward to finding out what the whole rabbit related theme for the album (and that pre-album song) is!

One's a cover of INXS 'Don't Change'...
rockin' the 1982, oh yeah.
It will shock people at first....sure as hell did me..SO not how I expected them to hit that song. But by the third listen it pwned me....

Okay. The iTunes release of Decemberunderground came with two non-album tracks...

1) Cover of Moz' "Jack The Ripper"
2) On The Arrow

--- WOW. WOW SOME MORE. MORE WOW AFTER THAT. GAAAAHHHHHHH.
Both songs are well worth the extra pain in the gnards of having to order/download.

On The Arrow ate my soul. I can't listen to anything else right now. This is ridiculous.
:combust: :combust: :combust: :crazy:
WHY WASN'T THIS ON THE ALBUM PROPER?!

I really like this. I know some people who are just getting into them that really, really, really shouldn't like them, but that's not the band's fault. I like the progression they've been making, and I have to accept that it makes them more accessible to those who would be less inclined... like some of my friends who obsess over top 40. :banghead:

I've never heard anything by these guys, but I might have to check out some of their tunes, just to see what the heck you all are talking about. I'd love to hear their cover of "Don't Change." Hope it's on iTunes!

I think the whole album owns. My favorite of 2006 so far. I even like it better than Placebo's 'Meds,' and that's saying a lot.

Glad you're enjoying them, yertle. :up:

Back
Top Bottom