Advice request: First Cell Phone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For Honor

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Yeah, I suppose it's time to move into the 21st century and get a cell. :sigh:

I suppose it's best to say that I don't know anything at all about them. And I'm an 18 year old, so it's really untypical :shrug: But anyway, and advice would help.

The actual phone, sevice plans, etc.

Thank you so much, in advance

:)

Look for what gives you the best coverage in your area. Some plans are far better than others in certain regions. I've had phones that I couldn't use in or around my house because they wouldn't get reception.

Also, if you plan to call one or more people who also have cell phones check with them to see what service they are on...my sibs and I all have plans with the same carrier and we can call each other for free any time (doesn't come off the base minutes of the plan).

Consider how you will use the phone -- is it only for emergencies, will it be an extra phone you use occasionally, but not all that often, or will you be using it as your primary phone? Once you determine this you then need to find the best plan for you. If you are using it only for emergencies or for occasional use a phone with pre-paid minutes might be best. However, if you will be using it a lot pre-paid minites tend to be more expensive than a monthly plan. Just be aware with many monthly plans that if you go over your allotment of minutes the rates for the overage minutes can be quite steep. If you aren't careful you can find yourself with a several hundred dollar cell phone bill.

Most people have success with Verizon, particularly if they live in rural areas.

Melon

I've had no problems with Cingular. I've been with them for 6 years. But I wouldn't choose them.. :lol: My coworker got unfairly charged by Cingular for $3000. They can be idiots at times.

I've heard Verizon or Virgin Mobile is good. Try them! :up:

wow, thank you, everyone......... I will keep that in mind.

(I speculate that as I am going to be going away to college, that I will be using this phone a lot, because I'm going to be farther away from everyone.... So probably one of the more monthly plans or something like that. I have heard good things about verizon myself... but it is always good to hear the opinions of others)

I've heard about people who've gotten huge cell phone bills, so I think I will try to avoid that...... as best I can....

Thanks again :)

Based on your posts on here, you seem like a big talker FH... :lol:

Don't mean to assume anything but if that's the case I suggest getting a plan where they offer free nights and weekends. ;)

U2Girl1978 said:
Don't mean to assume anything but if that's the case I suggest getting a plan where they offer free nights and weekends. ;)

always a good idea. You never realise just how much you talk until you're billed by the minute. :wink:

don't forget texting. there are certain plans out there that allow you to have unlimited texting..

I didn't know that about t-mobile and learned that the hard way. :huh: there are some plans that charge 10 cents or 5 cents per incoming or outgoing texts. not sure.

but I've had t-mobile for the past two years and haven't had any trouble with them at all. family plans :up:

sprint works well for me

i am not texting, yet

many friends are

i make them email

"to text

or not to text?"

just say no

U2Girl1978 said:
I've had no problems with Cingular. I've been with them for 6 years. But I wouldn't choose them.. :lol:

I wish Cingular had never been allowed to buy up AT&T Wireless. Cingular is a truly incompetant company.

Melon

U2Girl1978 said:
Based on your posts on here, you seem like a big talker FH... :lol:

It's misleading, isn't it......

Well, I guess only I would know...

indra said:

always a good idea. You never realise just how much you talk until you're billed by the minute. :wink:

When things get started, I tend to keep them going... So I'll be sure to look into that option, most definitely.

Last edited:
you seem like a big talker

Actually, this is the first time in my life anyone has said anything remotely close to that, so it's actually quite the compliment....

heh heh heh :)

I have been with Sprint since 1999 and have only a few complaints. Like someone mentioned earlier in here, my phone goes on roam in certain parts of my house and in various locations around town. That does bother me but not as much as it used to because I hardly use it anymore. I had to use it for work all of the time and thankfully I am no longer attached to my cell phone. :up: But other than the small roaming issues, I don't have any other complaints with Sprint.

Back
Top Bottom