About Digital Cameras...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmmBono

Refugee
Okay...I know *so* many of you peeps here have them...judging by all the pics posted daily, etc...

I'm asking this for myself and Iris (MissVelvet) because I know she was interested, too, in getting one.

I don't have a digital camera, and the camera I have is pure fookin crap.

Hence, I need a digital camera...and do NOT know where to begin with them.

What I need here are suggestions or recommendations of the best digital cameras out there or the kind that you have, and approx. how much you paid for them.

Just getting an idea because this is what I'm telling ppl what I want for xmas. You should see their faces when I say that. :lmao:

A few of my friends are going to go in on the camera together, they just want me to pick the one I want. :der:

So yah. I don't know where to start when it comes to digital cameras. :confused:

thanks April :hug:...you are too sweet...the 1st one to respond! :heart:

*takes notes*

i will check out the canon ones...any idea how much you paid for it? i just don't want to pick out one that is muchos $ for my friends.

anyone else with recommendations?

i *know* you peeps have cameras! help, please :der:

thanks! :)

ok, if you want REALLY great digital pics with the freedom of being able to attach lenses and all that fun stuff go for a digital SLR. I suggest the Nikon D70. It will set you back about a grand but it's well worth it because you can get different lenses for it and all the other cool stuff you can do with a "normal" camera. Plus, it's just one heck of a feature packed camera.

mmmBono said:
Okay...I know *so* many of you peeps here have them...judging by all the pics posted daily, etc...

I'm asking this for myself and Iris (MissVelvet) because I know she was interested, too, in getting one.

:ohmy: are you reading my mind or did I mention this somewhere? freaky. and thanks for asking because yes I am in the market for one. :laugh:

I do not want to spend more than $200 for one. So what is a good digital camera in the $150-$200 range?

Last edited:
Any Canon will do. If you just need something basic, get a PowerShot A75. They're less than $200 and 3.2 megapixels (you can blow pics up to 8.5 x 11). A lot of places tried to fool me into thinking I needed a 4 or 5 megapixel camera, but you don't if you just want regular sized pics. Plus, 4-5MP pics take up WAY more space on the memory card and load slower so then you have to buy more memory with a faster, more expensive card. The A75 also shoots videos and has the PhotoStich software for making QuickTime panoramas. It's also a pretty small camera and will come with all the software you need, a memory card, and the USB cable to connect it to the computer (you'd want to also get rechargeable batteries and probably a larger memory card). I sold my computer to get a Canon PowerShot S1 IS. It was $399. It has image stabilizer and a 10x optical zoom. That's a bit excessive for basic use, but I'm going on a trip to Africa and when we're on safari I want to take some pics of animals that will be a bit farther away. As for zoom, optical = good, digital = bad. My camera also has 3x digital zoom, but I won't ever turn it on. Digital zoom basically takes a normal picture, focuses on a certain part, and blows up that section of the image. The result is a grainy picture. Optical zoom is more like the "zoom" you have with an SLR.

Re: Re: About Digital Cameras...

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

I do not want to spend more than $200 for one. So what is a good digital camera in the $150-$200 range?

Canon PowerShot A75 :up:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

It is on sale at Circuit City for $179. So I just bought it! Yay and I am going to pick it up tonight. woohoo.

You're the third person I've convinced to get that one since I got my Canon a new months ago. I think I should get paid! :yes:

For those still in deliberation, I highly recommend ANY Canon. I like the Olympus models as well, but they use a different type of memory card that's more expensive. Kodak's are alright, but their picture quality is kinda shitty in comparison to the Canon. When I first heard this, I thought that was bull since when you think of Kodak, you think of pictures, but I did some research and asked a bunch of people and decided it was true, you could see without looking too hard that their pictures were not as vivid and sharp as the Canon's. Also, Nikon is great too. The camera I was going to get was a Nikon Coolpix 4800, but no store in town had one and I was impatient. Basically, you can't go wrong with any Nikon or Canon, IMO.

Last edited:
MissVelvetDress_75 said:

It is on sale at Circuit City for $179. So I just bought it! Yay and I am going to pick it up tonight. woohoo.

omfg!

Iris!

you got it already? :rant:

j/k

:hug:

it's too bad we don't have Circuit City in Canada. :angry:

thanks for all the suggestions!!!

:heart: interference peeps :heart:

you guys are awesome! THANK YOU! Any more recommendations are welcome!!

i'm thinking....max in Canadian dollars about maybe 400? So what is that? 10 bucks American? :lmao:

Looks like it's gonna have to be a Canon...although that one for a grand sounds good but I don't think my friends will *do* that one. lol!

Mr. BAW's sounds awesome....and I *know* we have Sam's Club here....hmmm....although 386 US is about a grand Canadian. :lol:

yep...here is one of my test shots. ;)

3425699923232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D3235%3E4%3C%3A%3E792%3EWSNRCG%3D323279%3C8%3A8873nu0mrj

This camera was a great buy! I was reading reviews about it the other day and now that LivLuv talked it up, I am glad I went out and purchased it. It is light weight, not big at all, has awesome features and very easy to use. :up:

5 stars!

I now have my Canon EOS Rebel and a Canon Digital in my collection:D

Last edited:
mmmBono said:

so I should be doing a Canon or this Kodak....:hmm:

CANON!! Seriously! The Kodak's are mainly popular because of the EasyShare/all-in-one printing thing so people who aren't into computers like the Kodak. Their picture quality is not good. Olympus and Nikon are better. See my post on the previous page. Nikon or Canon, but the Canon PowerShot A75 is perfect and the price is a STEAL!!!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

CANON!! Seriously! The Kodak's are mainly popular because of the EasyShare/all-in-one printing thing so people who aren't into computers like the Kodak. Their picture quality is not good. Olympus and Nikon are better. See my post on the previous page. Nikon or Canon, but the Canon PowerShot A75 is perfect and the price is a STEAL!!!

Ok....I'm not that much of a moron...but dammit if Iris is already using it!! (and I wont follow that with *must be easy*) :tongue:

and jeeeesus...Iris...that pic came out great! I'm talking about the one in your journal of yourself!! :drool:

Thanks LivLuv :hug:....I think I'll do that one cuz if Iris just dropped 179 on it....

means in Canadian...let's say exchange rate is 20%....

179 x 1.2 = 214!!

Holy Shit!! Between 3 girls! YAY! Sounds like a great one to get!!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Any Canon will do. If you just need something basic, get a PowerShot A75. They're less than $200 and 3.2 megapixels (you can blow pics up to 8.5 x 11). A lot of places tried to fool me into thinking I needed a 4 or 5 megapixel camera, but you don't if you just want regular sized pics. Plus, 4-5MP pics take up WAY more space on the memory card and load slower so then you have to buy more memory with a faster, more expensive card. The A75 also shoots videos and has the PhotoStich software for making QuickTime panoramas. It's also a pretty small camera and will come with all the software you need, a memory card, and the USB cable to connect it to the computer (you'd want to also get rechargeable batteries and probably a larger memory card). I sold my computer to get a Canon PowerShot S1 IS. It was $399. It has image stabilizer and a 10x optical zoom. That's a bit excessive for basic use, but I'm going on a trip to Africa and when we're on safari I want to take some pics of animals that will be a bit farther away. As for zoom, optical = good, digital = bad. My camera also has 3x digital zoom, but I won't ever turn it on. Digital zoom basically takes a normal picture, focuses on a certain part, and blows up that section of the image. The result is a grainy picture. Optical zoom is more like the "zoom" you have with an SLR.

:drool: LivLuv: interference's digital camera wizard :drool:

:wave:

ok...gotta go eat something...ate about 9 hours ago...went xmas shopping...about 80% done now :up:

mmmBono said:
:drool: LivLuv: interference's digital camera wizard :drool:

Heh, if you look back a few months, you'll see MY thread about what camera to buy, lol! But I'll admit, since I had to sell my computer and a bunch of other things I liked to afford the camera, I did a LOT of research and went to a LOT of stores and tested the cameras. Although, I did have help from my boss who's been into photography for over 30 years so he knows his stuff! He originally convinced me to get a digital and approved of the Canon decision. No regrets! :D

Canon has superior lenses and I would personally not buy another brand of digital camera. Their digital SLRs are amazing, and as for the portable ones, I prefer the Digital Elph, which is the one I use. But if you are going with a 4.0+ MP camera, make sure you have at least a 256 MB flash card, preferably 512.

Just overall, comparatively speaking, Canon and Nikon (and maybe Olympus as well) are known for producing better quality than Kodak. I almost went with a Kodak since you can get them at any sotre, but changed my mind after reading three reviews in a row that said the Kodak images were "muddy" and not as vivid.

Back
Top Bottom