AAAAAAAAAAAAnd down the stretch they come... The Official Triple Crown Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
So who's everyone's favorite? ESPN.com had a story saying that Tapitt's trainer feeds him eggs and GUINNESS to the horse for breakfast... thus, he's my favorite.

I've got Tapit, Lion Heart and Imperialism in a triple, Tapit to win, and my longshot is Gold Rush to win.

What's everyone else goin with?

Once the skies opened up, I threw my support behind Imperialism, since he had a win on an off track and most others didn't even know what rain was. Of course the first words from the race announcer after "And they're off" were "Imperialsim got bumped at the start by The Cliff's Edge", damn you Cliff's Edge. So I knew I was screwed, he was 17th out of 18 at the first turn.
But he did close nicely for show.
A $60 investment ($20 across the board) returned $62 when he paid $6.20 to show. Feels a bit like kissing my sister.
But it was quite the interesting race given the conditions, and now Smarty Jones should get plenty of hype leading up to Pimlico being 7 for 7.

haha you kiss your sister

all week i was gonna pick smarty jones, but then i heard that damn guinness story and went with tapit...

now if i had stuck with smarty jones on my trifecta, seeing as i had lion heart and imperialism to place and show... yea... i woulda had some change. god damn it.

The $5 Million bonus he got for winning Rebel Stakes, Arky Derby and KY(Jelly) Derby affords Smarty's owner the luxury of opting out of Pimlico, otherwise he'd be there for sure considering how much potetntial income a Triple Crown brings.
They should run him anyway.

it would be a shame if they don't run him... even though i don't think smarty would have won the derby on a dry track, ya never do know... what happens if it rains at pimlico? and then rains at belmont? if some of the other "favorites" come down with injuries prior to a race? why would ya wanna pass up a chance at history, just because you already have 5 mill in the bank. i dunno... just my .02

I concur. He should run...in fact it looks like it may be a small field at Pimlico, 7-8 hossies, so it could be an easier run for him, and if he wins, mega-hype for Belmont.
He should only skip it if there's a real health risk. Otherwise you gotta give history a shot. If he loses, he loses, the sun will rise on May 16.

Headache, you're a brave man braving Belmont on Saturday...the place is going to be mobbed!!! I was thinking of going, but I'll stay in front of the TV and cheer on Smarty Jones!
I really, REALLY want this horse to win. GO SMARTY!!!

Dude if you streak next to the horsies I'll pay your bail. Just be sure you make it onto TV. And tackle Smarty in the process. His odds suck, so I hafta place money on some other hoss even though Smarty looks like the class of the field by far, the way he was pulling away at the wire at Pimlico was impressive. I'll probabably toss some dough on Rock Hard Ten again. Payoff ended up the same for 2nd in Preakness if you had him across the board as Smarty did for winning.

Rain could be an equalizer that might hurt Smarty's chances, though he ran well on slop in KY.
Any mudders in the field?

"His mudder was a mudder and his fadder was a mudder."

my feet are insanely sore...

i'd like to give a big :down: to the belmont staff, who thought it a better idea to not announce the death of former president reagan so as not to damper the mood heading into the stakes. not a single one of us knew until we got home. the fact that they didn't have a moment of silence before the race... pretty low class if you ask me.

on that note... i had a hell of a time. was about 10 feet from the rail, a length from the finish line... baisicly right where birdstone took over smarty. he broke for his stretch run just a little too soon... oh well... as many a red sox fan have said... there's always next year.

i have to take back my comment on the reagan thing... i saw a picture in the paper today of reagan on the screen at belmont :shrug: i must've been at the bathroom or at the betting window when they put that on the screen. none of us knew anything about it. oh well...

of course... for the third time in three triple crown races... i had 2 of the 3 horses in my trifecta... smarty and royal assault. if only i had put smarty in an exacta with all the long shots like i was thinkin' of... :sigh: doh

The mile and a half distance at the Belmont has dashed many a triple crown contender's dreams. Oh well. Damn I wish I had money on Birdstone. Curse you Rock Hard Ten, ran like it was a 6 furlong race.

rock hard 10 and eddington baisicly screwed anyone who bet on them, and smarty jones at the same time...

they pushed out hard early, allegedly to try to get smarty's jockey to also push smarty early, tiring him out. worked too... jockey shoulda just let them pass and take them in the stretch...

smarty's time in the mile and a half was actually very good... unfortunatly he was fast at the wrong times... too fast too early. by the time he hit the home stretch he was out of gas. still only lost by a length. if pat day was on smarty, we'd be lookin' at a triple crown winner.

Yeah I feel like I got screwed by the Jockey switch on Rock Hard Ten, Solis ran a poor tactical race. If Gary Stevens hadn't been stuck in Europe I think he'd at least have finished in the money.
Eh, thats why they call it gambling.
Imagine if you had the Pissed-ons +8 last night, talk about yanking candy right out of a baby's mouth.

In Bed (hadn't heard that one in a long time.) :wink:

Back
Top Bottom