A U2 Discussion for the B&C Community (Mods - please don’t move)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But, in their plight to fight ageism in rock, if that is what they are trying to do, they are in fact perpetuating the idea that most people have of what aging rock bands are about - back to roots, trying to emulate what made them 'big' in the first place, still not having as many chart hits as in years past, putting out records so they can tour, etc. If they really wanted to fight ageism in rock, shouldn't their goal be to retain the respect of people - age 15, age age 25, age 45 and older alike - for their abilities as musicians and not for their ability to make chart hits? Because as someone who was in high school as recently as two years ago, I GUARANTEE you that those kids DO NOT have the same kind of respect for U2 that the 15 year-olds of 1987 or of 1991 or of 1993 had for U2. If they really wanted to fight ageism in rock, shouldn't the goal be to continue pushing the envelope with their music and to keep trying to blow peoples' minds with their music as if there's no reason why being 45 should make them any less capable of it? Wouldn't that be a better fight against ageism in rock than making two records that basically say, 'we're 45 and we don't think we CAN make records that will blow your mind anymore so we're trying to be the pop band we're not instead'?

namkcuR said:
If they really wanted to fight ageism in rock, shouldn't the goal be to continue pushing the envelope with their music and to keep trying to blow peoples' minds with their music as if there's no reason why being 45 should make them any less capable of it? Wouldn't that be a better fight against ageism in rock than making two records that basically say, 'we're 45 and we don't think we CAN make records that will blow your mind anymore so we're trying to be the pop band we're not instead'?

:up:

In 1987 there were those who saw The Joshua Tree as a "sell-out, $ grab at fame and chart position.

In 1991 there were those who saw AB as a trend jump on the "alternative" bandwagon which was exploding at the time.

Same thing with Pop in 97.

This is nothing new with U2 fans.

MrBrau1 said:
In 1987 there were those who saw The Joshua Tree as a "sell-out, $ grab at fame and chart position.

In 1991 there were those who saw AB as a trend jump on the "alternative" bandwagon which was exploding at the time.

Same thing with Pop in 97.

This is nothing new with U2 fans.

Except that in 2000, the number of people who saw U2 as sellouts or chart whores increased exponentially. And everyone everywhere is talking about it.

Zootlesque said:

Except that in 2000, the number of people who saw U2 as sellouts or chart whores increased exponentially. And everyone everywhere is talking about it.

Nope. There were just as many then.

Zootlesque said:
:lmao:

Cmon Brau, it's obvious how many people now see U2 as past their prime as compared to 1992!

:rolleyes:

Nope. You're wrong. I remember those releases very well because they were big moments for me. And I remember the tone of the arguements.
It's really no different than the current one. We just have the internet now.

How did you and your friends feel about U2 in the summer 1992?

Remember when that Spin article came out in 88 or so, with the Bono on the cover, and the headline "Hating U2."

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

How did you and your friends feel about U2 in the summer 1992?

Remember when that Spin article came out in 88 or so, with the Bono on the cover, and the headline "Hating U2."

Well....... I got into U2 properly only in 1992 with the videos for Mysterious Ways, Even Better and One. And I was living in India then. So I definitely do not know about the Spin article.

Zootlesque said:

Well....... I got into U2 properly only in 1992 with the videos for Mysterious Ways, Even Better and One. And I was living in India then. So I definitely do not know about the Spin article.

And you were only 9-10 years old......:wink:

Zootlesque said:

No.. I guess we were both like 13 or something, dude.

when is your birthday?

You were 9-10 years old at the time of the Spin article, and you know it :grumpy:

My birthday is very close to New Years Eve....When is yours?

U2Man said:

You were 9-10 years old at the time of the Spin article, and you know it :grumpy:

My birthday is very close to New Years Eve....When is yours?

Oh.. I thought you meant in 1992! Okay, yeah.

Mine is Nov 10th... coming up. :dance:

Zootlesque said:

Oh.. I thought you meant in 1992! Okay, yeah.

Mine is Nov 10th... coming up. :dance:

You ARE older than me then :happy:

Are you gonna throw a party for us? :drool:

Layton said:

I still have high hopes for you, but this is not the way to go.

would you please stop talking to cu7o like he's a red-head stepchild?

if you want to get into a battle of words, you have no idea who you're talking to.

Zoomerang96 said:
if you want to get into a battle of words, you have no idea who you're talking to.

Layton can dish it out too. Like last time, it would be a two-way patronizing exchange that I'm just not interested enough to engage in.

:sexywink:

Zoomerang96 said:

would you please stop talking to cu7o like he's a red-head stepchild?

I know exactly who I'm talking to. Cujo and I got real cozy in the 'Radiohead's Biggest Weakness' thread. He's definately full of words. Some of them even focused.

He seemed well-versed in art theory, but I'm not sure he always knew when and where to apply those theories. He brings to mind a Bono quote prior to the release of ATYCLB about 'advancing toward simplicity'.

I believe that is one of U2's more brilliant artistic ideas. ATYCLB, among other things, really captures that idea of trimming out the excess and getting to the point. By his own admission, Cujo is a verbose guy. It's nothing that a solid dose of simplicity couldn't cure, though.

cujo said:

Layton can dish it out too. Like last time, it would be a two-way patronizing exchange that I'm just not interested enough to engage in.

:sexywink:

I think you're a good guy. Sorry, if you disagree or dislike the above analyisis of you. Zoomerang put me up to it, though (I'm good at blaming others). He just had to come to your rescue.

Zoomerang96 said:
atyclb really captures a band desperate to cash in.

This response comes nowhere close to answering the previous questions I posed to the class. It also shows an overreliance on a braindead label (cash in).

Grade: F

oh is that right? well how come i don't remember you ever making any of the interference power rankings?

hmm?

To be honest this thread is pretty redundant. It’s just another rehash of a well worn discussion albeit with many more witticisms per head than usually is the case. Musical taste is purely subjective and therefore approaching such debates with an objective and even self righteous attitude isn’t going to endear you much to your sparing partner.

However, one can eventually convince people of their point and proselytize them if their arguments happen to be more subversive in regards to undermining their adversaries’ beliefs.

So with this in mind continue.

(Ah, good I can switch my brain of now.)

namkcuR said:
If they really wanted to fight ageism in rock, shouldn't the goal be to continue pushing the envelope with their music and to keep trying to blow peoples' minds with their music as if there's no reason why being 45 should make them any less capable of it? Wouldn't that be a better fight against ageism in rock than making two records that basically say, 'we're 45 and we don't think we CAN make records that will blow your mind anymore so we're trying to be the pop band we're not instead'?

There's some really good points here. Neil Young might be a good example of a guy who's stuck to his guns and did it his way as he's gotten older. There's definately some respect that's filtered down to younger generations because of that.

The key here is that U2 are not and have never been a Neil Young type of artist. If U2 were to fight ageism in Rock, it would make sense to fight it the way they've fought all their other fights; loud, proud and taking on the whole world. One could argue that to do it any other way would constitute retreat on U2's part. I think the Larry and Bono quotes that Cujo brought up are basically saying that U2 has no retreat in them, right now. Definately not a band that sounds complacent to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom