A stupid iPod question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sevikins

Refugee
Hey all,
Is there anyway to put .flac files onto an iPod? I mean... I read all these things about how changing a .flac file to is sacriligious so how does one keep the files in .flac or .shn or whatever lossless type but yet still get to enjoy it outside of the computer (but not on disc... b/c lord knows how many discs one could be overloaded with :wink:).

Anyway my real question is, how does one keep the lossless yet keep space and enjoy it on a pod? Also, what's really the difference between an and a .flac? I mean, if you take out the silent gaps inbetween songs, wouldn't that deem the file "lossless"?

Thanks all.

No, iPods can't play FLACs. They support a few other lossless formats such as Apple Lossless, WAV, and AIFF, though, so you can convert your FLACs to any of those formats without losing quality (although you'll likely get even bigger file sizes).

Best idea is to simply convert the FLACs to MP3s or AACs for your iPod, but keep the FLACs for trading (if they're bootlegs) or for the flexibility (if you're just archiving your CDs or something).

Lossless means there's no loss in quality incurred by the compression. MP3s, AACs, oggs, and so forth are lossy formats and compress sound by simplifying bits of them and removing inaudible portions and such. This makes them much less flexible since you can't convert them to another lossy format without losing yet more quality in the conversion.

Back
Top Bottom